PDA

View Full Version : Jet deals?

Keel McDonald
09-27-2006, 3:23 PM
Hello all. I am considering purchasing a Jet mini lathe (http://www.amazon.com/Jet-708351B-JML-1014-Mini-Lathe/dp/B000077CPM) to do the various smaller projects I like to turn. I'd really like to find the best deal on one. I've surfed the Internet and have been unable to locate anything under $275. Does anybody know of a better deal? A friend said he's seen them for around $200, but can't remember where.

Steve Clardy
09-27-2006, 3:26 PM
Have you tried amazon? $50.00 off anything over $300.00

Keel McDonald
09-27-2006, 3:30 PM
Steve

I have tried Amazon, but must have overlooked the $50 off. I'll have to re-visit them and check it out.

Have you tried amazon? $50.00 off anything over $300.00

Steve Clardy
09-27-2006, 3:32 PM
Yes. Theres a code you enter at checkout. ALLTOOLS or something like that. I just used it a couple weeks ago on some I-beam clamps and two routers.

John Gregory
09-27-2006, 3:41 PM
Using Froogle.com I found that Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?prod_id=100341756&cm_mmc=1hd.com2froogle-_-product_feed-_-D25X-_-100341756) has one for $249

Mike Armstrong
09-27-2006, 3:59 PM
Be careful what you are comparing. I just bought the Jet 1014 variable speed with a Nova midi chuck for $299 at Rockler, a hell of a deal. They have that combo/price every now and then. I'm new to turning, but knew I want to wait to get one with the optional chuck. It goes for about $140 by itself on Amazon.

You can distinguish the variable speed model in pictures as it has about a 3" square black controller box on the left end of the bed. Looks like Amazon's current price difference between the two models [not incl. a chuck] is $65.

As a newbie, I can't make a real enlighted recommendation, but I think this is a very versatile combo and a great price. With the fall woodworking season and the holidays approaching, I think you can find that or a similar deal again soon somewhere.

Ken Salisbury
09-27-2006, 6:45 PM
Check General Industrial Supply in Nashville.

Mark Pruitt
09-27-2006, 8:19 PM
Keel, I don't know if this would interest you or not since you specifically asked about Jet. But, the Woodcraft Flyer for October came in the mail today, and they show the Rikon Mini Lathe on sale for $220. If you check over in the Turners' Forum you'll find several there who have been happy with its performance.

Hope this is helpful.

Mark

Mike Jory
09-27-2006, 8:20 PM
Hi Keel, You're interested in getting a lathe. Boy are you in trouble:p Just kidding of course. The Jet mini (I've heard) is a great choice. Just as the other Mike said, I have seen them on sale with a chuck.

You will of course need to by tools and accessories. I notice in the Woodcraft flyer I just received that "It's Turning Month" So you may find some good prices there. Beware- shop around. As I'm sure you know, sometimes a certain stores "Sale" is what you can already get somwhere else.
There is a mini Rikon in there for $219. I have no idea what Rikon is like, nor am I affiliated with WC in any manner.
Just a couple thoughts.
Another Mike

Bernie Weishapl
09-27-2006, 9:52 PM
I would take a hard look at the Rikon. The Woodcraft manager said he has sold 60 and only one returned. He got a new one and is happy with it. It will do anything the other mini's will do plus do a 12" bowl. For $219 not bad.

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-27-2006, 10:04 PM
If you have a Woodcraft Store near you, they are selling the Rikon for 219.99 starting Saturday, September 30 through October 31.

It is NOT VS, but you get a 12" swing vs 10 on the Jet and 16" length instead of 14" on the Jet. It's not as pretty, but beefer and except for one or two complaints and sales I know of over 160, plus very good customer service. This comment comes from a customer with a complaint. The Rikon is a better deal.

As most know, I work part time for WC, but I have owned the Jet mini and traded it in Last December for the Rikon. I've beat it up and had NO problems!

Bruce

Bill O'Conner
09-27-2006, 11:38 PM
Both have them on sale right now, in the Milwaukee area so I'm sure there on sale everywhere

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-27-2006, 11:50 PM
Be careful what you are comparing. I just bought the Jet 1014 variable speed with a Nova midi chuck for $299 at Rockler, a hell of a deal. They have that combo/price every now and then. I'm new to turning, but knew I want to wait to get one with the optional chuck. It goes for about $140 by itself on Amazon.

You can distinguish the variable speed model in pictures as it has about a 3" square black controller box on the left end of the bed. Looks like Amazon's current price difference between the two models [not incl. a chuck] is $65.

As a newbie, I can't make a real enlighted recommendation, but I think this is a very versatile combo and a great price. With the fall woodworking season and the holidays approaching, I think you can find that or a similar deal again soon somewhere.

Welcome into the light, Mike!! :)

Randy Meijer
09-27-2006, 11:59 PM
I don't know how this might affect your thinking; but you should be aware of the following. There is a distinct "POSSIBILITY" that JET is doing something with their mini lathe. Keep in mind I said "POSSIBILITY" as this information is not yet confirmed.

There was some speculation on another forum that the JET mini was discontinued because the JET web site no longer showed any of the mini models. Several of us have been doing some calling in an effort to discover what is going on. SO far, this is what I have been told and by who.

!. The mini(standard model) is discontinued according to JET technical services. The VS model is not discontinued.

2. The mini is NOT discontinued and there are no plans to do so according to the JET product manager.

3. The mini is being redesigned to lengthen the bed according to a Woodcraft store employee who called JET and talked to one of their reps while I was on hold.

4. No information about any changes to availability according to employee at local Rockler store.

5. There is some redesign work being done to the head of the mini from a JET rep through a third party.

Sort of sounds like there might be something going on; but exactly what is not clear. I have another inquiry at JET right now asking for additional information and clarification. Don't know if I will get a response.....it has been almost 2 days.

Implications of all of this.....

1. You might consider holding off on your purchase. If a new model is coming out, you may find the older ones at highly discounted prices.

2. Assuming the info about a longer bed is correct, you may want to buy one now if you prefer a more compact machine or you can wait if you would like a longer bed.

3. If they are truly discontinued, buy one right away before the prices go up on the remaining in-house stock or they are all gone.

4. Other possibilities that don't come to mind right now.

When and if I hear any more on the subject, I will be sure to post it here

Don Baer
09-28-2006, 12:01 AM
Like Bruce, I turn on the Rikon, What made me buy the rikon was that pound for pound I felt it gave me the most lathe for the money. The 12" swing and the distance between centers were some of the factors that swawed my decision. The weight of the machine as well as several other factors helped me decide. Go to your local woodcraft store and look at both the jet and Rikon side by side before you buy. I have no association with any of these companies so I have n o Axw to grind. My local woodcraft store has a hard time keeping the Rikons in stock.

Brian Clevenger
09-28-2006, 12:24 AM
I can only comment on the 1014vs, as it is my first lathe. However, aside from it breaking, I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. I didn't buy a mini to turn large platters or bowls, so the 10" swing is fine with me. I wouldn't have it without the variable speed. I find that I change speeds often from cutting, to sanding, to finishing; so there is no way I'd be without it. I got the extension, but I don't really need it. It does add some heft, but I have it bolted to a very heavy bench anyway. The fit, finish, and performance are as good as I would have ever expected.

I bought mine from Rockler for $299 with the Nova chuck. I haven't used the chuck yet (don't really need it for pens, now do I), but it was an added bonus.

I'm sure the Rikon is a good machine.... I have a Craftsman band saw that appears to be a clone of the Rikon, and I love it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of their products. However, variable speed would be the deal-sealer for me.

Keel McDonald
09-28-2006, 7:43 AM
Hmmm... Well now you've all given me something to research. It means a great deal that many of you "more experienced" turners really like the Rikon. However, the additional midi chuck is very appealing to me as well. As Mike said, a heck of a deal!

As far as buying all the extras such as tools, etc, I have a fair amount of them. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say I have all I want. I do have a larger lathe, but the idea of a compact lathe that is dedicated to turning smaller projects is really what I'm looking for.

I'm in no great hurry to buy one, but thought I'd start comparing and researching now, just in case I ran across a good deal.

Jerry Olexa
09-28-2006, 10:02 AM
Suggest you go to the JETtools website and check their 4th qtr deals. They are quite aggressive in pricing from what I saw...e.g., theyt reduced the retail on the 6" closed base, 1 hp jointer by over $200 (which I bought a few weeks ago). Check it out. More aggressive retails than usual...