PDA

View Full Version : Can you legally spray lacquer in your town?

Jamie Buxton
09-27-2006, 2:19 PM
In greater San Francisco we have such bad air quality that laws have been passed which outlaw spraying solvent-borne finishes unless you have a finishing room certified to collect the smog-causing vapors. I believe that Los Angeles and San Diego have the same sort of laws.

Do any other US cities have this kind of law?

tod evans
09-27-2006, 2:26 PM
no such mandates here in the sticks.....tod

Steve Clardy
09-27-2006, 2:27 PM
Don't really know.
I live in the sticks, 22 miles to the nearest town that actually has a grocery store.
No restrictions around here:)

Matt Warfield
09-27-2006, 2:35 PM
Not here either.(edit: restrictions that is) All my neighbors have burn barrels too. Air quality??

Cecil Arnold
09-27-2006, 2:50 PM
Jamie, with as many chemical plants as we have around here there are very few restrictions. We do try to keep automotive painting regulated by requiring spray booths with filters and vent stacks, but that doesn't seem to stop some shade tree painter from doing touch up work outside. As far as woodwork, the few "quality" folks do such a small amount that it is unregulated. The on site guys do pretty much what they want.

Lee DeRaud
09-27-2006, 3:52 PM
In greater San Francisco we have such bad air quality that laws have been passed which outlaw spraying solvent-borne finishes unless you have a finishing room certified to collect the smog-causing vapors. I believe that Los Angeles and San Diego have the same sort of laws.

Do any other US cities have this kind of law?Jamie, you're just talking about commercial operations, right? To make something like that stick at the retail/home-use level would require regulating sales of sprayers, lacquer thinner, etc, not to mention aerosol cans. There's certainly been no shortage of that stuff in the local stores down here.

Bill Grumbine
09-27-2006, 4:18 PM
We can still spray lead around here, although the city keeps getting closer. :p Lacquer is no problem either.

Bill

Ken Consaul
09-27-2006, 4:44 PM
I'm in CA, southern part and not sure whether its state or federal regs but sales of many products with high levels of Volatile Organic Compounds have been restricted to quart size and smaller and those will be phased out. I went to purchase some Deft and was told it was not going to be available in the 670 VOC after 6-1-06. I bought three gallons and got a good price at the box stores. You can still get quarts. My understanding from the local gurus is the new stuff doesn't spray well (240 VOC) and leaves white tracking on overlaps.
Last month I ran into the same problem when buyng some Watco Teak Oil. They dropped the 'Marine' from the name and I ended up buying a gallon of the high VOC stuff.
I'm thinking it might be federal regulations as I have heard similar complaints on WoodNet from people in NY. Apparently trans-fatty shortening is on the block there now. Anyway, my local store supplies some of the hotels in Vegas and the hotels said the same restrictions exist there.

Jamie Buxton
09-27-2006, 5:38 PM
Jamie, you're just talking about commercial operations, right? To make something like that stick at the retail/home-use level would require regulating sales of sprayers, lacquer thinner, etc, not to mention aerosol cans. There's certainly been no shortage of that stuff in the local stores down here.

Yes, I can buy lacquer thinner, aerosol cans, and even Deft in the one quart size. However, I can't buy NC lacquer intended for spraying.

Y'know those signs above the cash register at the liquor store that say "We can't sell to under-age customers..."? At my local Sherwin-Williams there is a similar sign that says "We can't sell solvent-based spray finishes to anybody except shops with certified spray rooms. Don't even ask."

tod evans
09-27-2006, 5:45 PM
Yes, I can buy lacquer thinner, aerosol cans, and even Deft in the one quart size. However, I can't buy NC lacquer intended for spraying.

Y'know those signs above the cash register at the liquor store that say "We can't sell to under-age customers..."? At my local Sherwin-Williams there is a similar sign that says "We can't sell solvent-based spray finishes to anybody except shops with certified spray rooms. Don't even ask."

roadtrip????

Dennis Peacock
09-27-2006, 8:40 PM
Restrictions? Nah.....not here anyway. :D

Howard Acheson
09-28-2006, 1:33 PM
>> I'm thinking it might be federal regulations as I have heard similar complaints on WoodNet from people in NY

The VOC regulations are state enacted and mandated. California is the leader but many other states are following with virtually identical regulations.

Didn't I just see that California has instituted suit against 5 or 6 auto manufactureres for air pollution?

Joe Pelonio
09-28-2006, 7:04 PM
My neighbor (woodworker) was cited by the fire department after a complaint from the veterinarian above him, they told him no laquer allowed without a self contained booth and air scrubber.

Jim King
09-28-2006, 10:39 PM
I would say if you cant spray laquer in your own home it is time to find a new place to live.

Lee DeRaud
09-29-2006, 1:48 AM
I would say if you cant spray laquer in your own home it is time to find a new place to live.I would say if you live below a veterinarian it is time to find a new place to live.