PDA

View Full Version : small trucks, trains, cars or tractors??

Ed Lang
09-27-2006, 1:33 PM
I am looking for small simple outlines of trucks, trains, cars and tractors to cut out of 1/2" baltic birch ply. I will then cut wheels out of 1/4" baltic birch and cut 1/8" dowels for the axels. These should be simple designs and a great use of smaller scraps.

I bet some of you have artistic tallents and could draw up something to post!

Calling all designers and scroungers for the files :)

Matt Warfield
09-27-2006, 2:42 PM
images.google.com may have some to choose from although it was difficult to find ones that had a full on profile.

Dave Jones
09-27-2006, 4:54 PM
Do you have the Corel clipart discs? At least in the X3 ones, in Clipart/Vehicles there are tons of cars, trucks, and buses each with a front, back, left and right side view, and many have a top view too.

Ed Lang
09-27-2006, 9:50 PM
Thanks Dave, yes, I bought X3 and have all of the discs. Never knew what to do with the rest of them so I put them in the case and the case on the shelf.

I'll give that a look tomorrow!!!

Thanks again.

Dave Jones
09-27-2006, 9:56 PM
I have plenty of HD space, so put disk 2 on my HD and can get to them at any time.

J Porter
09-28-2006, 1:53 AM
Take a trip to WalMart's craft department, or probably any decent craft store, and you'll find some models as you describe. You can then take them apart and make some measurements to create your own. Maybe even incorporate your own ingenuity and creativeness (like LaserBuzz).

Not to discourage you, but I found this to be a less than economical, productive project. These models at WalMart sell for about 75 to 90 cents and don't exactly sell like hotcakes.
Good Luck..

Carlos Chiossone
09-29-2006, 8:46 AM
Hi guys, wooden cars and trucks are a huge market at least in the big cities. CNC cars can sell for as much as $35+ on toy stores around. I have created thanks to the laser an economical verison which I sell for $5 each to the stores. Now please don't go do it, this is my market :D . They in turn can sell it for $15 instead of $35.

Now given, I am not a wood worker per say. Yes I have worked with wood for years but I am still new to it. I am a designer with a lot of effort put into industrial design. So I design the units and now finally can manufacture them. Also if I send them to China I can get them done at $0.10 probably, but the idea is that they are still made as the commercial says "made in new york city". :-)

So don't be discouraged by Wal-mart, k-mart, any-mart for that matter. Just go into places that sell at higher prices. Our work is not about making mass production, but about making good production.

Another tip if you are planning to sell, don't use ply-woods. I use oak, maple and such, and sometimes when I get it I also use scraps (only scraps) of cocobolo, granadillo, etc. for the higher end produciton, of course a bit more expensive.

Hope this helps, but sorry Ed, no extra designs right now. Look at http://www.automoblox.com/ and get inspired. I wish I could make those or better someday.

Carlos