PDA

View Full Version : Pole barn construction for attached shed

Andy Fox
09-27-2006, 1:17 PM
I'm thinking of building a small 10' x 6' shed which will be attached to our attached garage. The garage rests on cinder block walls with a concrete footer. I'd like to use pole barn construction for the shed, as I think it will save money, keep the floor at ground level, and still be frost-heave proof.

I think I'll only need (2) 4x4 PT poles (at the 2 outside corners) sunk to 36" and resting on a concrete footer. Edit: Or should I use 1 4x4 at each corner?

Does this seem reasonable? Anything to watch out for? I'll be getting a permit, so the city building department will hopefully catch any major blunders I make.

larry merlau
09-27-2006, 1:23 PM
andy, i would ask your inspector or a local builder what is required in your area first. but i dont thnk that a 16ft span is good. should have another post in the center. edit put on glasses 10ft not 16ft:( but use a large enough header to support the rafters. 2x8 min.

Robert Mickley
09-27-2006, 10:41 PM
I bet they tell you 6X6 on the corners.
As for the pole construction attachen to the foundation construction.
I don't have a problem with that. My woodshop is the same way, been thaft way since 1999 with no adverse effects