PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Marking Guages

Raymond Stanley
09-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Hi All!

Haven't posted in a while...because I have been my attempting to build things! Currently working towards building my first workbench.

I want to get a wheel marking marking guage, and veritas seems to be good but reasonably priced.
I'm having trouble with deciding on exactly which model, so I could use your advise.
1) Graduated vs. non-graduated: do those who have grad use it? those who do not wish they did?
2) micro-adjust vs. non-micro adjust: do those who have it like it? do those who do not have trouble getting the wheel adjusted just right?

Its only about $10 diff spread across all the models, so I'm willing to spend the extra for the features, but I just want to make sure I don't get a feature that is going to hinder working with the tool.

I'll post some pics once my first wood project is done :)

Thanks!
Ray

Hank Knight
09-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Raymond,

I've had the basic Veritas wheel guage for a long time. It is a good guage. Last Christmas, my wife gave me a Tite Mark with the extra wheels for marking mortise and tenon joints. It has the micro adjust feature. I use both guages all the time. In my opinion, the micro adjust feature is handy, but not necessary. I never had much trouble setting my Veritas guage without it. I would find the graduated beam feature useless. I set my guage from the work, and seldom, if ever, use a graduated rule for measurement. I find I make more errors using a rule.

My $.02

Hank

Rob Lee
09-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Hi Raymond -

I alway recommend the ungraduated gauges, and personally prefer models with no micro-adjust...

Graduations are for rough setting of the gauge only...you should not rely on them for accuracy. Your best bet is to set a gauge from a rule or a reference mark.

Micro-adjust is useful feature - but I have no problems adjusting our standard gauges. People with hand tremors or just dexterity challenges (is it PC to say problems?) find a micro adjust makes tweaking easier.

Cheers -

Rob

Mike Henderson
09-27-2006, 11:33 AM
I have two Veritas wheel marking gauges - when you're doing dovetails, it's nice to have two so that you don't have to change the settings - one with the graduated beam and one without. The micro adjust is nice (I use it all the time) but the graduated beam is useless - I never use it. Most of the time I'm setting the gauge from the thickness of a piece of wood, but even if I want to set it from a scale, I don't trust the graduations and use a separate scale.

It's a good gauge. If you buy it, buy a couple of extra wheels at the same time. If you drop the gauge, you can damage the wheel and it's nice to have a replacement on hand (they're pretty cheap).

Mike

Kent Fitzgerald
09-27-2006, 11:46 AM
I have the basic version (no graduations, no microadjust) and I'm happy with it. The adjustment is very smooth, with no play or backlash, so I find it easy enough to fine tune the setting with a "calibrated thumbnail."

Just so you know and you're not suprised when you try it out the first time, the "wheel" is not supposed to actually rotate in use.

Raymond Stanley
09-27-2006, 7:00 PM
thanks for the great recommendations everybody!