PDA

View Full Version : Tormek question ?

Eddie Darby
09-27-2006, 8:52 AM
I asked these questions about the Tormek, but didn't get an answer. I think it was because they are buried in the middle of the thread, so I decided to give it some more room.

-What is the longest serving Tormek?
-How many sharpening stones has anyone gone through on a single Tormek machine?
-What year did Tormek start with it's sharpener?
-Can a machine be built that is better than a Tormek, and if so will there be enough demand in the market for it, or is this the top of the line?

tod evans
09-27-2006, 9:19 AM
-Can a machine be built that is better than a Tormek, and if so will there be enough demand in the market for it, or is this the top of the line?

eddie, this is the only question i feel somewhat qualified to answer,
there are allready machines on the market that i feel are "better" than the tormek..........but.........they`re specialized industrial machines that you`re not likely to find in a hobby shop and none offer the capabilities that a tormek does on so many different tools...plus the cost is much greater!
.02 tod

Jeff Farris
09-27-2006, 10:06 AM
-What is the longest serving Tormek?
I have customers that have been using their machines regularly for 14 years. TORMEK was on the U.S. market a couple years before I got involved, so I'll assume there are 16 or 17 year old machines still going strong here.

The Michelin aircraft tire plant in Kansas City goes through one every year, but then they run the machine 40 hours a week.

-What year did Tormek start with it's sharpener?
The company started in 1979. The original machine was powered by your hand drill. The current design was introduced about '82 or '83.

I think Tod covered this. There are more precise grinders and there are faster grinders that won't burn your tools, but think in terms of 5 figures -- they're for professional sharpening shops.

Eddie Darby
09-27-2006, 11:08 AM
" The Michelin aircraft tire plant in Kansas City goes through one every year, but then they run the machine 40 hours a week. "
===================
Do you know how many stones/wheels they go through in that year/2080 hours?

tod evans
09-27-2006, 11:11 AM
eddie, i read jeffs response to be that they go through one stone per year on the original machine?? tod

Eddie Darby
09-27-2006, 11:19 AM
eddie, i read jeffs response to be that they go through one stone per year on the original machine?? tod

Yes I see, I was thinking 1 machine per year! HaHa Yikes!

Jeff Farris
09-27-2006, 11:40 AM

Correct. They buy one stone a year, and a set of bearings ($6.00) every other year.

Steven Wilson
09-27-2006, 11:44 AM

I'm on stone #3. The first one froze and cracked. I find that going from sharpening turning tools to plane irons (i.e. regrading to get a great, flat surface) wears a stone quicker than I like so stone #2 is used for turning tools and small chisels/carving tools, and stone #3 is saved for flat work. Since I went that way I've notice very little wear.

Having said that, I use a high speed grinder/wolverine setup for reshaping turning tools and ceramic water stones (Shapton) for the final sharpening of plane irons and many chisels, so my Tormek is mainly used for turning tools and for establishing/reestablishing the edge geometry on plane irons and chisels.

Mike Wenzloff
09-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Correct. They buy one stone a year, and a set of bearings ($6.00) every other year.
I think it has been 5+ or so years since I bought my Tormek. I have gone through 4 wheels from use in that time. Two wheels were another brand, the other two Tormek wheels.

If I tried, I can go through a stone every 6-9 months. Maybe less. Never have replaced the bearings.

Jeff, what would be an indication I should change the bearings? Well, beyond the obvious noises, or is it a matter of good preventative maintanance?

Take care, Mike

Don Baer
09-27-2006, 12:23 PM

Two years on a set of bearings thats a little over 4000 hours. Maybe I am missing something but when I was in the business of applying electric motrs anything less then 10,000 hours MTBF was considered inferior. They should last about 4 1/2 years.

:confused:

Jeff Farris
09-27-2006, 12:30 PM
The bearings should be more properly called bushings. They are nylon low speed bushings. They need replacement far less frequently on the newer machines that have stainless steel shafts. In the older machines with plated or black oxide shafts, they wear faster. We are talking about the bushings for the main shaft, not the motor shaft sealed ball bearings.

Mike, I would like to hear about what type of work you are doing where you are going through stones that quickly. It sounds like you're doing a great deal of sharpening. I would like to know why you're going through stones like that. I might be able to offer some suggestions to scale that back a little.

Dennis Peacock
09-27-2006, 1:28 PM
Going through stones? Shoot, I'm still on the original stone on my Tormek and I've done a LOT of sharpening of knives, scissors, chisels, plane irons, and a lot more turning tools. It's been because of my Tormek that I have began enjoying sharp handtools in my shop and liking it the more I do it. I always sucked at hand sharpening....the Tormek brought me stability and consistancy with sharpening. I don't regret the purchase.

Jim Young
09-27-2006, 2:17 PM
Dennis said exactly what I would have. As for using up the stone, I just can't immagine how much I would actually have to sharpen. I've had my machine for over two years and don't think the stone diameter has changed at all. Then again, I am just a home user.