PDA

View Full Version : Chairs....got a little lazy....

Mark Singer
09-27-2006, 8:51 AM
Well I promised to do a tutorial on designing and making chairs and I will....I have a few that I will be making in the near furure...they will not be the mates for the wenge dining table I am making. Master Hans Wegner's Wishbone Chair is the chosen seating. It is many an Architects first choice and I could never top his masterpiece. John Pawson, Architect for the Calvin Klein stores recently stated it is one of his favorite 12 things in the world! Wegner also designed "The Chair" that President Kennedy sat in during the debates and Kennedy's favorite. The ones I ordered are in soap finished European Beech to avoid any grain conflict with the wenge table...http://www.houseofcopenhagen.com/wegner_wishbone_chair/mar06_01.jpg

http://www.houseofcopenhagen.com/wegner_wishbone_chair/mar06_18.jpg

http://www.houseofcopenhagen.com/ebay/images/Hans_Wegner.gif

tod evans
09-27-2006, 9:21 AM
still purdy! thanks mark.....tod

Mike Wilkins
09-27-2006, 9:23 AM
Did'nt feel like tackling the construction of some of these chairs?? Chairs and seating are very difficult to construct, so buying is understandable.
By the way; what is a soap finish??? Never heard of that one.
Stay safe and watch those fingers.

Frank Fusco
09-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Very pretty. Looks doable. But the curved round supports have me wondering howzitdone. Hand shaping with rasps is all I can figure.
And the soap finish thingy is new to me also.

Matt Day
09-27-2006, 11:07 AM
That's $500+/chair!:eek:

They look super comfortable though. I wish the construction was easier. Anyone ever make some?

Ed Kowaski
09-27-2006, 12:42 PM
The wishbone chair is nice but I prefer "The Chair" and it comes with wenge keys in the back. (nudge nudge wink wink) :)

You may remember, years ago FWW did a feature piece on Wegner. Great article with a fascinating shop tour.

Mark Singer
09-27-2006, 12:51 PM
That's $500+/chair!:eek:

They look super comfortable though. I wish the construction was easier. Anyone ever make some?

I sold the set I made for $1800 each;)

Matt Warfield
09-27-2006, 1:03 PM
I sold the set I made for $1800 each;)

Wow!! That's two months of mortgage payments in my neck of the woods. Probably about two days mortgage in your neck of the woods though. :D

Matt Day
09-27-2006, 4:19 PM
Wow, you made a set of those? How did you make the curved legs and back? Seeing those makes me want a lathe!

John Stevens
09-27-2006, 4:29 PM
Beautiful. If it's not improper, would you mind telling me where you ordered them from?

Mark Singer
09-27-2006, 4:34 PM
Beautiful. If it's not improper, would you mind telling me where you ordered them from?

House Of Copenhagen...they are original made in the Karl Hansen factory

Mark Singer
09-27-2006, 4:35 PM
Wow, you made a set of those? How did you make the curved legs and back? Seeing those makes me want a lathe!

I didn't make them....I picked up the phone and got out my credit card...:rolleyes:

Ed Kowaski
10-02-2006, 2:53 PM
Oops, my mistake. It's Wegner's captians chair that has wenge accents. Sorry abou that folks ;)