PDA

View Full Version : Turning Aeromatic Cedar....

Dennis Peacock
09-27-2006, 1:15 AM
I've got some red cedar for turning. My past experiences with it is that is likes to crack and split. Anybody got some good pointers for having a successful bowl out of cedar? I've even had the stuff crack while spinning on the lathe and I'd like to have at least a couple of nice bowls out of this stuff. Advise and pointer welcomed.

Mark Pruitt
09-27-2006, 9:06 AM
Dennis,

I don't know how helpful this might be to you, as you've been into this spinny stuff a lot longer than I, but here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=43020) is a recent experience I had with aromatic red cedar and here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=438549#post438549) is another. I suspect that these are considerably smaller than what you're looking at doing (about 4" diameter max), but they held together well. I did see some splitting at the ends of a couple of blanks but I eliminated the splitting at the bandsaw and had no further problems. The thing that's making me crazy with this stuff is tearout. I'm spending a lot more time sanding than I would like. I've got to figure out that "vertical shear scrape" thing that Bill Grumbine demos on his DVD.

Best of luck.

Mark

Gary DeWitt
09-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Mark,
it works. I used that shear scrape on some walnut face grain that was tearing out big time, was able to start sanding at 220!

I havn't turned cedar, but it seems about as soft as regular pine to me, which I have turned. Sharp, Sharp, Sharp tools, and perhaps something to stiffen the fibers on the last pass.

Frank Fusco
09-27-2006, 11:10 AM
We have a lot of cedar around me and I sell some to turners. It is a blessing and a curse for turning. Yes, soft and very easy to turn. But also very brittle and tiny knots can cause explosive catches. Finished can be beautiful. Give it a try but accept the occasional nearly finished piece to go flying around the shop in pieces. Just pick up another hunk and start over. Cut the ruined one into small hunks and use to keep bugs away and clothes smelling nice.
Some folks, I am one, are very sensitive to the dust. Use a mask and dust collector.

Mike Ramsey
09-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Dennis, why don't you ask Gary Max, if my memory serves me he's
the king of Cedar around here....After turning 2 logs of it I don't think I'll ever spin any myself again!

Lars Thomas
09-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Did you ever notice how similar Mike and Frank's avatar are?

Frank Fusco
09-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Did you ever notice how similar Mike and Frank's avatar are?

Difference is, mine is loaded.

Mike Ramsey
09-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Lars......that's a gouge in my hand.......time to change my avatar :cool: .

Keith Burns
09-27-2006, 1:28 PM
Dennis, do I know anything about turning cedar ? No, never turned any. But i am going to offer a thought. Just remember the source:eek: . I know you like to turn at high speeds. Perhaps the cracks you have had were caused by heat? Maybe slowing down would help.

Mark Pruitt
09-27-2006, 1:37 PM
Difference is, mine is loaded.
...and I've been thinking all this time that was a guitar! LOL

Jeff Farris
09-27-2006, 3:10 PM
Mark, Dennis, et. al.

Typically with a bowl gouge on the outside of a face grain piece you would work from the foot to the rim. I recently had the same experience that Mark did with tear out in Aromatic Cedar, even though I know the tool was razor sharp, and I had the bevel supporting the cut. Out of exasperation, I made a cut "the wrong way", that is, from the rim down to the foot. The fibers laid down perfectly. I talked to my turning mentor, Nick Cook, and he said that he has had the same experience with certain species.

As for checking and splitting in Cedar, I have seen that a lot. Dennis, is your stock dry, semi-dry or fresh cut? I have had the best luck with chunks that have been allowed to dry for about a year without sealing the ends. Cut the checks off the ends when you're ready to turn. It seems that allowing it to check in the drying process relieves some stress.

Frank Fusco
09-27-2006, 3:20 PM
...and I've been thinking all this time that was a guitar! LOL

Note my handle (username).

Mark Pruitt
09-27-2006, 3:45 PM
Note my handle (username).
Yeah, I know....LOL....but it does look like you're holding a guitar, and you've got this Blues Brothers thing going on (that's a compliment BTW):D :D :D

Mark Pruitt
09-27-2006, 3:53 PM
Mark, Dennis, et. al.

Typically with a bowl gouge on the outside of a face grain piece you would work from the foot to the rim. I recently had the same experience that Mark did with tear out in Aromatic Cedar, even though I know the tool was razor sharp, and I had the bevel supporting the cut. Out of exasperation, I made a cut "the wrong way", that is, from the rim down to the foot. The fibers laid down perfectly. I talked to my turning mentor, Nick Cook, and he said that he has had the same experience with certain species.
I would love to hear the explanation for that....it totally contradicts all we hear and say about direction of feed. Great story. BTW it kind of goes along the theme of an article in the latest Popular WWing about rules that are passed along as hard and fast rules which sometimes have the unintended effect of discouraging alternative practices. (I'm pretty sure it's in Popular WWing; I'll check for sure this evening.)
Mark

Edit: Actually it was the editorial I was thinking of. Short, but worth the read. October issue of Popular WWing. BTW, also contains a good article by Dunbar on "Avoiding Mistakes".

Glenn Hodges
09-27-2006, 6:03 PM
I have turned a lot of eastern cedar, because people like it. Yep, it cracks, and I tell people that is the nature of the wood or the beast. I have been holding a turned piece of it in my hand and heard the sound of the crack, and started looking for the dang crack. Some of the stuff must have stress, and it will crack because of the stress. Others have mentioned the other reasons. As I stated I just tell people that like it, Cedar is Cedar, and it cracks while I work it so I glue the daylights out of it. I believe it doing like the preacher says when dealing with a customer, "Tell it all brother."

Frank Fusco
09-27-2006, 7:41 PM
I have turned a lot of eastern cedar, because people like it. Yep, it cracks, and I tell people that is the nature of the wood or the beast. I have been holding a turned piece of it in my hand and heard the sound of the crack, and started looking for the dang crack. Some of the stuff must have stress, and it will crack because of the stress. Others have mentioned the other reasons. As I stated I just tell people that like it, Cedar is Cedar, and it cracks while I work it so I glue the daylights out of it. I believe it doing like the preacher says when dealing with a customer, "Tell it all brother."

I'd like to know how you glue them pieces when they are flying through the air. :eek: :D

Dennis Peacock
09-27-2006, 8:49 PM
Yup....I've turned and still turn "backwards" at times to get the grain to lay down better for a smoother final cut. Works well too. :D

My stock has been cut for several weeks, but was green as Mark Cothren and I cut the standing tree down and took what we wanted. I'll try it a few more times and see how I come out.