PDA

View Full Version : Sassafras Bowl

Nathan Talley
09-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Here a few photos of my first "successful" bowl. After sending a few nearly complete bowls across the shop at 3000 rpms, I finally got one to behave the way I wanted. Anyway have a look and see what you think.

Nathan Talley
09-26-2006, 11:48 PM
So two identical pictures are redundant, so here's a different third.

Richard Madison
09-27-2006, 12:02 AM
Nathan, Maybe you should slow down so they won't bounce as far after they hit the wall. This one looks pretty good. What size it is?

Nathan Talley
09-27-2006, 12:11 AM
the bowl is 6" diameter, 3" tall. I've been doing the finish turning and sanding at a higher speed due some advice given "Turn wood fast, and metal slow"

Bernie Weishapl
09-27-2006, 12:15 AM
Looks pretty good Nathan. I was going to ask what finish did you use? You are a lot braver than I am because I won't take a bowl much above 1200 rpms. Most of the time around 1000 rpm. I do my finish sanding at 400 rpm. I was told by Mike Mahoney never sand over 500 to 600 rpm. I don't know about wood fast, metal slow.

Nathan Talley
09-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Intresting. I will slow it down on the next one and give it a go. I'm very new to bowls, so I'm up for trying anything. Maybe I took that advice too literally. I used a lacquer based friction polish for the finish after sanding to 600 grit.

Bernie Weishapl
09-27-2006, 12:30 AM
Intresting. I will slow it down on the next one and give it a go. I'm very new to bowls, so I'm up for trying anything. Maybe I took that advice too literally. I used a lacquer based friction polish for the finish after sanding to 600 grit.

Thanks Nathan. Finish looks awful nice. Like I said I definately would not be turning bowls at 3000 rpm's. Maybe pens and spindles but not bowls or boxes. I am fairly new at turning and you might have seen the mahogany salad bowl set I turned. I lost a bowl about 7 months ago turning at 2000 rpm. I slowed it down on the advice of some very experienced turners and haven't lost a bowl, a box or a plate since. Just my 2 cents for what it is worth Nathan.

Dennis Peacock
09-27-2006, 12:48 AM
Looks real good to me Nathan. I turn fairly fast as well. Sometimes a faster speed sanding works pretty well when sanding by hand with the lathe spinning. But...when power sanding, I use a LOT slower spin speed and let the power sanding to its job. Looks to me like you've pretty well got it down very well. Nice bowl and finish. :D

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-27-2006, 1:05 AM
Good lookin' Bowl, Nathen. Sassafrass smells REAL good when turnin' Don't it!

Bruce

Ken Fitzgerald
09-27-2006, 1:24 AM
Nathan.........Nice bowl! I don't have the nerve to turn a bowl at 3000 rpm. Of course, I turn on a diving board right now......:eek: :D

Gary DeWitt
09-27-2006, 3:46 AM
I found that hand sanding at 1800 rpm wasn't effective, it was like the grit was skating over the wood, not biting. Slowing to 1200 did the trick. This was on a 5" dia. piece.

Nice first effort!

Jim Dunn
09-27-2006, 7:21 AM
Real pretty bowl Nathan! I think I have found my next favorite wood.

Keith Burns
09-27-2006, 8:23 AM
Very nice first "successful" bowl Nathen. I very seldom get above 1000 rpm turning bowls and power sanding typically around 400 rpm or so. Hand sanding even slower. I was once told by a "Professional" turner if your hand gets hot while hand sanding your spinning to fast.

Don Fuss
09-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Great looking bowl, Nathan. The form and finish look great.

Usually, I turn bowls at 1500RPM or slower. When I have the shape I'm after, I crank up the speed to about 2000RPM or higher (depending on size) and take a very light final pass with a scraper. Seems to help reduce tearout on highly figured woods. I then slow it back down to 1000RPM or slower to sand. Always gets the job done for me.

Don

Reed Gray
09-27-2006, 6:18 PM
I did find out that faster sanding speeds doesn't work any faster than the slower speeds, say 300 rpm. When power sanding, I am down to 100rpm or less. The extra speed and/or pressure will glaze your sandpaper quicker, cause burning, cause hair line cracks, and with discs will cause them to come loose from the backing. If the wood is getting warm to the tough, then slack off a bit. If you are going to turn bowls in that speed range, make sure that it is a totally solid piece of wood, and that you and any shop fixtures are out of the line of fire.
robo hippy

Corey Hallagan
09-27-2006, 6:23 PM
First one?? Man that is awesome, I think you did great!!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
09-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Wow, Nice first Nathan.

Nathan Talley
09-28-2006, 1:15 AM
Thanks for all the great advice fellas. I'll definately try turning at slower speeds next time. My next project will be a bowl with lid made out of Walnut that I picked up last week. Power Sanding... now that's an idea. Do you use an attachment on a drill or an independant set up?

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2006, 5:02 PM
Nathan if you have a air compressor that will handle air tools you can get a air drill that has a 90 deg head and put sanding disc in it. I bought a 3/8" 90 deg Sear drill off ebay brand new for $35. Sells for $130. Anyway I use both the velcro disc's and power lock disc's chucked up in that drill. It doesn't take long to sand with that unit.