PDA

View Full Version : Miter Saw Adjustments

Randy Segundo
09-26-2006, 11:25 PM
Hey folks. I am new to the forum...

My question is regarding miter saw adjustments. I can't seem to get perfect cuts on this thing. I've tried re-adjusting the back fence and checking the blade angle locked in the down position using a speed square and combination square, no luck.

Initially I thought it was the miter saw. I have a 10inch Craftsman that is less than a year old. Then a buddy was moving and selling his tools so I grabbed his 10inch Ryobi-again less than a year old.

Same problem on both!:mad:

For framing and roofing, no problem. You can get away with this tiny 1-2
degree descrepancy. But with carnice and hardwood woodworking, cabinetry....no way in hell.

Then again my eye for detail doesn't help the situation.

Any ideas please? I can easliy post a few pics of sample cuts. Possibly 2 pieces of 1x3 white pine or poplar cut at a 45 for bisquit joinery. The long points join well but the inner cut has a tiny gap everytime.

Help please!

glenn bradley
09-27-2006, 12:28 AM
Hi Julio and Welcome! I'm sure someone will mention that we use our full names here at the Creek so I'll get that out of the way. Please post some pics. If the table to blade part of the cut is square then it sounds like an angle adjustment. This shouldn't be too tough to work out.

Again Welcome!

Mark Rios
09-27-2006, 12:45 AM
Hello Julio, welcome to the creek. First off, I'll put this out there before someone else does; the TOS requires that you use your real, full first and last names. You can Private Message Jackie Outten and have her make the change. ( I learned to type all that from Ken S. :D )

To address your question, have you put a straightedge on your fence(s)? It (they) may not be straight.

Also, a very kind Creeker told me a tip on fine adjusting a CMS. I cut some strips (4" wide should do for a 10" CMS) about 12" to 18" long (or longer) out of 1/4", MDF core plywood. Make a cut in one of the strips. Leaving the two newly cut halves against each side of the fence, slide them together and see if they mate up with no wedge shaped gaps. If they do, your fence is most likely straight. Then, to check for square, while keeping the pieces against the fence, turn one piece over (OVER, not end for end), and slide the two halves together and again check for a wedge shaped gap. When there is no gap, you are square.

I had a very hard time with a 12" Makita that I fought with for about 7 months. It turned out to be the fence and that the main table wasn't machined properly. The fence was striaght when held in my hand but would get misaligned (twisted) when bolted in place. I couldn't ever get it to stay aligned so I sold it. Seemed to be the last resort. Makita wouldn't fix it for me even though I talked to three different people at corporate. (Sorry,.......rambling.....) My point is, sometimes, the saw may just not be able to align for precision cuts.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Ken Salisbury
09-27-2006, 2:43 AM
Hello Julio, welcome to the creek. First off, I'll put this out there before someone else does; the TOS requires that you use your real, full first and last names. You can Private Message Jackie Outten and have her make the change. ( I learned to type all that from Ken S. :D )

Mark is absolutely correct. PM Jackie (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=6)with your real first and last name.

"Your Friendly Moderator"

Randy Segundo
09-27-2006, 2:43 AM
Gents, thanks for the immediate replies. I will post some pics sometime tomorrow...

As for the name issue, I mean no disrespect in anyway. I just prefer to remain anonymous. My wife and I have spent the last 8 years clearing up issues due to identity theft. Understand that I have been an IT Professional for over 15years so technology, gadgets, network security are my forte. Our situation wasn't just some small time crook who stole my wallet. Someone at a higher level (credit agency) actually stole and sold our info. Next thing you know dozens are using embossed credit cards with my account number, DL's with my info and their picture and BAM!, I have 30k+ debt... Just when things were looking up, credit scores were up to par and legal issues were behind us, I posted a motorcycle for sale on a local forum. This is a forum where I often posted my name and contact info for friends to reach me. One day last year I posted my dirtbike for sale. Several people wanted it and someone I personally knew had first dibs. We scheduled a time on the forum and I told him not to come by before 6pm-no one will be home. Well I came home a little after 6 only to find my garage door kicked in and bike stolen. What happened was a lurker saw our conversation, got my address which is not hard to do and helped himself. With a name and number, people can do some serious harm.

Sorry for the long story gang, but that is how it is. It just goes to show you can change passwords routinely, monitor your accounts daily, shred your mail and still get scam'd. We're close to 40 now and because of this, we're just now buying our first home.

If the name thing is going to be a problem, I'll leave and leave quietly. No need to ban my ip. (Even if you did, I'd get another ip-I'm an IT guy remember?:D ) I am here to learn, participate and share whatever knowledge I can. Mi Padre was a carpenter for over 40years. Working with him during the summers was a must if I wanted anything. So if there's questions regarding framing, roofing, carnice, drywall and general carpentry, I will help when and where needed.

Peace.

Unkle J.
FYI, the DOB I used is false, as is the email address name. Even Unkle Julio. (no nieces or nephews) But I am Hispanic.:)

Ken Salisbury
09-27-2006, 2:53 AM
Gents, thanks for the immediate replies. I will post some pics sometime tomorrow...

If the name thing is going to be a problem, I'll leave and leave quietly. No need to ban my ip. (Even if you did, I'd get another ip-I'm an IT guy remember?:D )

Yes it is a problem. The rules are the rules. Sorry.

FYI, the DOB I used is false, as is the email address name. Even Unkle Julio. (no nieces or nephews) But I am Hispanic.:)

We don't play silly games here either. Please read our Terms of Service (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/terms.php).

Mitchell Andrus
09-27-2006, 8:58 AM
Use the thickest blade you can find. I think you're having a problem that I had a while back. The grain of the wood is forcing the blade to wobble just a bit.

Mitch