PDA

View Full Version : Two bandsaws?

Joe Melton
09-26-2006, 5:48 PM
I came on a deal I couldn't refuse, a Laguna LT-16 bandsaw for a great price. Now I am wondering if I should keep or sell the Delta 14". Is there anything the Delta will do better than the Laguna? I was thinking in terms of keeping different types of blades on them. I would prefer to get rid of the Delta due to the space restrictions in the shop.
Advice is appreciated.
Joe

Bernie Weishapl
09-26-2006, 6:28 PM
Joe I am in the same boat with a small shop. I wish I could have kept the other bandsaw but couldn't because of shop size. It really doesn't take that long to change blades. I basically use two blades. A 1/2" 3tpi timberwolf and a wood slicer from Highland Hardware. I did buy a Delta 10" benchtop at a auction and really like it for anything under 8" thick.

tod evans
09-26-2006, 6:40 PM
joe, i use two bandsaws but space isn`t an issue for me....the lt16 will do everything the delta will do better. plus it`ll be a pleasure to use after the delta. so if space is at a premium i`d put the delta up for sale and never look back....02 tod

Bill Boehme
09-26-2006, 6:41 PM
The only thoughts that come to mind are things like --

Can the Laguna handle 1/8" blades
Do you need to keep the convenience of fast availability of blades at local dealers
I have a Delta knock-off and find that changing blades and setting the guides is somewhat faster than it can be done on my MM-16.But, like you, I have maxed-out shop space and so I am considering selling the 14" import even though I have spent countless hours tweaking, tuning, balancing, modifying, and basically tricking-out the bandsaw. It is much better than new, but I know that I would not be able to recoup hardly any of what I put into it. So, there we are -- on the horns of a dilema.

Bill

Jim DeLaney
09-26-2006, 9:44 PM
I kept my old 14 incher when i got my LT16. Irun 1/2" or 3/4" blades on the LT16, and keep a 3/16" blade in the old 14. For me, it seems to be the best of both worlds. Each bandsaw does what it does best - no 'compromises.'

As for space, the old 14 only takes up 4 square feet of floor, and it's on wheels so it can live in the corner until it's needed...

Reed Gray
09-26-2006, 9:52 PM
I have 2 bandsaws, a Laguna 16HD, and a 14 by 6 inch industrial Powermatic. I leave the 1 1/4 inch blade on the Laguna for resawing and cutting blanks to dimention, and use the PM to cut out the rounds with a 1/2 inch blade. You can saw logs with a 1/2 inch blade, but that is what a 1 1/4 inch blade is made for. It will cut about a 5 foot radius cut, or you can trim the corners if you want.
robo hippy