02-25-2003, 8:07 AM
Thanks for looking

RJ

Richard Allen
02-25-2003, 8:28 AM
Very nice set-up!

John Miliunas
02-25-2003, 8:41 AM
Nice job, RJ! I'm really, really hopeful that things will work with selling our house and buying the one we put in a bid for. Would go from 340sq/ft shop to 1300! Point being, I'll be filing this one away for future ref. and build some myself! Really getting to like jigs more and more, as I get deeper into this craft. Thanks for the idea!:cool:

Ted Shrader
02-25-2003, 8:44 AM
Originally posted by RJ Schuff
From ShopNotes so you can make a variety of joints from some scrap.

RJ -

Thanks for posting the good info.

Was just discussing this with a guy here at work. Will show him those pictures. Then he wil register as a member, won't you, Roy?

Thanks,
Ted

Bob Lasley
02-25-2003, 8:45 AM
RJ,

Nice job on the jig and fences. Good looking box, too! As you now know, box joints are a piece of cake once you get the jig right.

Bob

Angelo Schembari
02-25-2003, 9:55 AM
What issue of Shop Notes was that?

Looks Great!

RJ Schuff
02-25-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Angelo Schembari
What issue of Shop Notes was that?

Looks Great!

Angelo

Shopnotes #62 March/April 2002

RJ

RJ Schuff
02-25-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Bob Lasley
RJ,

Nice job on the jig and fences. Good looking box, too! As you now know, box joints are a piece of cake once you get the jig right.

Bob

Bob,

What I really liked about this design was the fine-tuning adjustabilty. You build it pretty close to accurate but it has an adjustable screw to get the set up perfect. Once each fence is set, you should be able to just slap it back on each time you use it and go.

RJ

Mike Maikowski
02-25-2003, 11:54 AM
RJ: Wow--thanks for posting the issue number. Have been looking to build some box's once the weather breaks and i can get into the shop. I have a ton of short pieces of Oak--Cherry--Maple and poplar that will make neat box's. but first i have to build a jig. thanks again. mike822

Angelo Schembari
02-25-2003, 5:55 PM
Originally posted by RJ Schuff
Angelo

Shopnotes #62 March/April 2002

RJ

Thanks RJ. I just picked up some "scraps" of Ebony and I was thinking of making a box or 2.

Ian MacDonald
02-26-2003, 12:32 AM
Nice jig and boxes RJ.

I received the plans/hardware kit for this jig for X-mas but have yet to put it together.

How is the jig to use? Have you tried the jig on a router table as well?

Regards,

-- Ian

chris toomey
02-26-2003, 7:24 AM
man that is a slick set-up! i build a jig every time i do them. i have to build those.

chris

RJ Schuff
02-26-2003, 8:31 AM
Originally posted by Ian MacDonald
Nice jig and boxes RJ.

I received the plans/hardware kit for this jig for X-mas but have yet to put it together.

How is the jig to use? Have you tried the jig on a router table as well?

Regards,

-- Ian

Ian,

It is a breeze to use. It is made to ride in the miter slots of your table saw, though I suppose you could modify it to work with a router table.

RJ

Dominic Greco
02-26-2003, 12:38 PM
RJ,
Nice job on the box joint jig! It looks very professional.

I have that issue of ShopNotes and was planning on building that jig for a while now. Just haven't had the time. It's great to see such a tight fitting joint come from a "shop made" jig. It just goes to show you that making your own jig sometimes pays off big time.

But if I eventually get this small commission to make a bunch of small boxes (that has been waiting in the wings for a while), I'll definately have to get off my duff and make this jig.

Thanks again for showing us this.
Dominic

Ian MacDonald
02-26-2003, 1:00 PM
After looking at the kit I received, I just realized that my box joint jig is different that your's RJ.

It uses a couple of metal L-brackets to make an adjustable pin. Then the whole fence moves back and forth on a carriage to adjust the spacing.

I think my kit is based on a plan from Shop Notes No. 8 which is not the issue you based yours on.

When I get around to putting it together I'll let you all know how it works.

Cheers,

-- Ian