PDA

View Full Version : companies i like to deal with part 1

tod evans
09-26-2006, 5:22 PM
i figured that i`d start a series of threads introducing some of the companies i like to deal with. keith gave me the idea in a thread a few months ago when he said;
"One of our goals at SawMill Creek is to bring our community closer together to the companies who manufacture the tools and equipment we purchase. If we can establish better communications with these companies our comments and suggestions will be heard by the people who design and build our machines. Certainly we will all benefit from better communications and equiipment that continues to be improved plus expanded support for the machines we own and use." (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30090)

well i thought it would be a good idea to start by dispelling one of the internet myths about mini-max being "tool snobbery" type of equipment.... these guys are as down to earth as they come and the quality of the equipment speaks for itself. last week i called dain (one of the salesmen) and asked for photos of the factory floor with equipment being built.......he never batted an eye, said i`ll contact italy and voila...we have photos. i didn`t ask for the q/a shot but since he included it i will too. for those who aren`t familiar with the company, mini-max is a subsidiary of scmi the worlds largest equipment manufacturer. the mini-max line should be considered an offshoot of scmi`s classical line of equipment geared toward the small shop and or hobbyist.
for those of you who don`t know, i own several pieces of their equipment and each has performed flawlessly in a one man production shop. on the occasion i need parts or advice either is only a phone call away. service for me has never been an issue, i bought quality equipment and it was delivered to my door.the folks at minimax have done everything within their power to assure that i remain a satisfied customer, never any pressure or sales pitches just plain ol` good business.
the first four photos are of the actual mini-max factory in italy,the last photo is of dain kirkpatrick, myself. marty walsh and jim strain at the iwf show in atlanta.....the usual disclaimer...just another satisfied customer, yadda-yadda....02 tod

Brian Buckley
09-26-2006, 5:46 PM
Todd,
Thanks for the Pic's of the MM factory. It was fun to see the "Birthplace of my 410". I am in agreement with you about the folks at MM. They are super to do business with.
I looked at your web page and must say I was impressed. Your work is top notch. Thanks for your contributions to SMC.

Brian

Steve Clardy
09-26-2006, 5:58 PM
Thanks Tod:D

Frank Fusco
09-26-2006, 6:20 PM
The place is spotless. To me that speaks of pride. Each worker appears to have his own tools and station, that would indicate individual craftsmanship.

Luther Oswalt
09-26-2006, 6:32 PM
Tod,
That was great and I'm glad to hear the nice comments about MM ...
Leo

Gary Herrmann
09-26-2006, 7:17 PM
So thats what Dain looks like.

Corey Hallagan
09-26-2006, 7:44 PM
Very cool Tod, thanks for sharing the photos!

Corey

Mike Null
09-26-2006, 7:59 PM
Tod:

I look at your web site and wonder what in the hell I'm doing with a table saw, bandsaw etc. in my shop. Awesome stuff!!!

lou sansone
09-26-2006, 10:06 PM
great photos ... looks like they mean business.

lou

Jim Becker
09-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Nice hunk 'o granite in that next-to-last shot, Tod. And I do recognize a few folks in that last picture, too... ;) Thanks for sharing these pictures and I'm looking forward to future installments.

tod evans
09-27-2006, 11:40 AM
So thats what Dain looks like.

sure is an ugly ol` cuss isn`t he?:rolleyes:

Ed Kowaski
09-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Hey Tod, love the "shop" shots, thanks!

Blows me away how much volume they produce!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-27-2006, 3:49 PM
VERY Cool, I used to work on a production line making big rig trucks (White Western Star) and I know it can be a boring job, so to see the obvious pride that the guys at MM have in their work and their plant is very cool indeed.

I also like this idea of introducing companies that one has has a good working relationship with, so often we only hear about the bad stuff.

I sure do like the look of that MM stuff, I don't think they have it here in Japan, and even if they did, I'm sure it would be WAY out of my price range...........for now ;) :D

Cheers!

Mark Singer
09-27-2006, 3:56 PM
Tod,
Thanks, Jim Strain is a great guy and the equipment is the best I have used....I really love my Elite S machine ...accurate and smooth... Nice to see the factory too...they look really organized.

Mark Rios
09-27-2006, 4:19 PM
Very cool Tod. Thanks for taking the time to post and start the thread. Great idea.

tod evans
09-27-2006, 4:41 PM
VERY Cool, I used to work on a production line making big rig trucks (White Western Star) and I know it can be a boring job, so to see the obvious pride that the guys at MM have in their work and their plant is very cool indeed.

I also like this idea of introducing companies that one has has a good working relationship with, so often we only hear about the bad stuff.

I sure do like the look of that MM stuff, I don't think they have it here in Japan, and even if they did, I'm sure it would be WAY out of my price range...........for now ;) :D

Cheers!

stu, scmi is a world wide industrial manufacturer, i`m pretty sure there`s an scmi dealer in toyko or close by? if you`re interested or curious give them a call.....no it aint cheap but in all honesty i believe minimax offers very fair pricing for the quality of equipment.....they got my money and i ain`t whining.......in fact here i am showing off their products `cause i feel like it, not `cause i`ve got anything to gain.....02 tod

09-27-2006, 4:58 PM
Mini Max in the World (http://www.scmgroup.com/private/bin/articolo/mondo;jsessionid=MAOBIMAIFOCD?codice=Mondo+MINIMAX&locale=en&marchioId=MINIMAX)

According to this page, nope, not in Japan.

Oh well...........

tod evans
09-27-2006, 5:42 PM
sorry stu:o ......tod

Paul B. Cresti
09-27-2006, 7:07 PM
Tod,
Cool pictures!....hey can I start a thread "Companies I hate to deal with" ? I can think of one particular slime ball organization.....and I ain't joking this time.

tod evans
09-27-2006, 7:16 PM
Tod,
Cool pictures!....hey can I start a thread "Companies I hate to deal with" ? I can think of one particular slime ball organization.....and I ain't joking this time.

fine by me paul:rolleyes: ............just mind your p`s-n-q`s ....02 tod

Jesse Cloud
09-27-2006, 7:51 PM
What a great idea for a thread! I get a little down reading all the horror stories of people who have been mistreated or spent a lot of $$ for p***-poor tools. A collection of companies that are good to do business with is a real asset. I hope we get lots of contributions.

Scott Vigder
09-28-2006, 10:23 AM
I sure do like the look of that MM stuff, I don't think they have it here in Japan, and even if they did, I'm sure it would be WAY out of my price range...........for now ;) :D Cheers!

Stu, would you be willing to talk to them about designing a Mini-Mini-MiniMax to fit in the Dungeon?

09-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Stu, would you be willing to talk to them about designing a Mini-Mini-MiniMax to fit in the Dungeon?

Sure, they could send me a prototype, and I'd test it out for them for 10 or 20 years............ :rolleyes: :D

J.R. Rutter
09-30-2006, 3:42 AM
Thanks for sharing the pics. I've talked to Dain on the phone a few times over the years.

I just got my first MM product this month, an '02 T40N shaper. It has some obvious cost saving design "features" compared to the SCMI T110, but it runs smoothly. It is certainly an upgrade from the Powermatic 27 that it partially replaced (except for the fence). I am a big fan of the SCMI shapers, and the MM doesn't fall too far from the tree.

Nit pics on the T40N (at least my version):
1. Fence on mine is very lightweight, and is fixed on one side
2. The spindle lock is inside the base. Cutter change procedure: Remove vertical adjust handle, unscrew and open door, flip lever, then reverse after cutter is changed.
3. Vertical adjustment seems a bit coarse
4. Overall not as easy to dial in for different operations, but lends itself to a semi-permanent setup. I'm using mine for coping shaker doors, the bulk of my production.

Pros:
1. Spindle assembly is very rigid by design.
2. Versatile speed range and easy speed adjustment (after you get inside the cabinet)
3. Well proportioned top with miter slot.
4. Bolt-on sliding tenonning carriage available.
5. Good looks - gives pleasure every day.

09-30-2006, 3:50 AM
................I just got my first MM product this month, an '02 T40N shaper.....................

What, a stealth Gloat without any pics............. Never happened.......... ;) :D

Sounds like a nice set up, (I'd say "Looks like....." but there are no pics!), changing the blades does not sound like fun, but if it is set up for one use only, then I could see how the inconvinent change over procedure, would not be a big deal. If you had to change the blades daily, I could see that becoming a real PITA.

Cheers!

J.R. Rutter
09-30-2006, 3:16 PM
Sorry - I'll post some juicy pics of this AND some other tasty tools when I have a chance to download/upload/etc. One of the advantages of doing this for a living is being able to write off equipment purchases!