PDA

View Full Version : Ruining Plates

Frank Kobilsek
09-26-2006, 3:50 PM
Creekers, I need help. The last few nights I have been making 9" walnut plates from 13/16 thick material. I think cutting the 'bowl' of the plate is one of the things in turning I do have the hang of. I use the scraper very little. Ok so I got a flat surface, no bug ridges or nub in the middle, now I sand. Slow speed on the lathe 150 to 200 RPM and start with 100 grit going thru 320 using electric close quarters drill (cheap Harbor Frieght model). Reverse sand by hand at 240 and 320. Finish with Mahoney Oil.

The result is a big swirl radiating from the center of the plate. I don't see or feel it until I put the oil on. It looks like your looking down on a big fat softserve ice cream cone. What am I doing wrong?

I am trying to make (4) matching 9" plates. They are a trade for the Brother in law with the skills to weld me up a homemade captured hollowing rig that you have all talked me into.

Pictures really did not capture the look. I'll try again tonight.
Frank

Paul Engle
09-26-2006, 4:33 PM
try ramdon orbital sander 100 thru 320. I was having same problem untill I took the plate off the lather and finished it ala flat work( last 25 years) use 2 speed on low if you have , try on test piece first.
Paul
If you dont belive in something ya risk falling for anything...

Tom Jones III
09-26-2006, 4:54 PM
Before you put on any finish get a paper towel wet with mineral spirits and wipe the plate. This will reveal any unseen problems and the mineral spirits will quickly evaporate.

BTW, You're doing a couple things different in sanding than I am, I don't know if any of it is the cause. I hold the sandpaper in my hand and the lathe is usually running from 300 to 500 depending on size of the plate.

Jim Becker
09-26-2006, 5:11 PM
Are you cleaning the piece between grits? (I use mineral spirits for this) Stray grit from the previous coarser pass will scratch big-time... ;) Are you using quality abrasives? Are you keeping the sander moving constantly as the workpiece spins? Are you varying the speed of the lathe slightly from grit to grit? Are you pressing hard or are you letting the abrasive do the work "naturally"??

Frank Kobilsek
09-26-2006, 6:00 PM
Thanks guys, I wipe between grits with a dry paper towel and haven't been inspecting with mineral spirits either. I think pressing too hard is the culprit but maybe more hand work and less power could be helpful too. Paul if it ain't going round in circles its just woodworking not woodturning and I get bored real fast.
Thanks Guys I'll report tommorrow.

Frank

PS: I just got a call from a local sign maker. His custom woodturner just decided he was too old to help him anymore and he is bringing out a job for me tonight. He'll be a good guy to work with. First commercial customer.

Joe Tonich
09-26-2006, 6:07 PM
Dunno if this helps......but going to tell ya anyway.;) :p

When I power sand em I use light pressure and sand all the way across the plate/platter to the other side. I do it slow and go right thru the center back n' forth a few times before changing grits. Maybe it will help, hope so.

Bernie Weishapl
09-26-2006, 6:21 PM
I agree with Jim and Joe. I use light pressure when sanding going from one side to the other. Before I go the next grit I use a air hose and blow off the dust. Then go to the next grit go all the way across lightly right thru the middle.

Frank Kobilsek
09-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Gentlemen
Last night I made a couple good ones, no 'swirl'. I just eased up on the sander. Musta had too much coffee and sugar on Monday. Nita likes them all so I'm good.
Frank

Gary DeWitt
09-27-2006, 10:54 AM
Glad to hear it, and good news on the commercial account. You never know where it's coming from!