PDA

View Full Version : Coverting natural gas heater to LP?

Jerry Ingraham
09-26-2006, 1:41 PM
I recently picked up for free (my favorite price;) ) a Reznor natural gas heater. In order to use it in my shop, I need to convert it to LP as I do not have natural gas service. Does anyone know what's involved to do this? I don't have the model #'s or btu ratings with me right now. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Jerry

Steve Clardy
09-26-2006, 1:47 PM
All I know is that the jets, orfices have to be changed.
Other adjustments I'm not sure of. May have to change the air adjustment to get a nice clean flame.

LP takes smaller jets, due to the gas pressure, and it has a higher BTU
Years ago the manufactures used to supply both jets.
Now I think you have to buy for the gas type you will use.
If its an older unit, look around on it. It may have the other jet tied to it somewhere.
Any heating dealer should be able to supply you with the correct jets

Mike Goetzke
09-26-2006, 1:48 PM
You probably should contact the manufacturer - they usually sell conversion kits.

I was thinking of converting an LP grill to NG. In the case of the grill the restriction orifices need to be opened up and you eliminate the regulator. So you will at least need a regulator (to reduce the pressure) and smaller orifice.

Matt Warfield
09-26-2006, 1:51 PM
Not a whole lot to it. Just change out the orifices and a few other components and you're good to go.

jerry cousins
09-26-2006, 1:57 PM
hi there - i had to do the xact same things several years ago - also on a reznor - sounded & read pretty simple but then it seemed to get crazy. ended up calling the local gas company and they came out - did it pretty quickly.

jerry

Matt Warfield
09-26-2006, 2:09 PM
Oh, one other thing. Make sure to save all the old parts for the next owner to convert it back to NG.

Al Willits
09-26-2006, 2:19 PM
Best bet would be to contact Reznor for a conversion kit, that fails I can probaly walk ya though it, need to know btu's (input) and number of main burners though.

You'll probably need a pilot orfice, main burner orfices, regulator and possibly a new gas valve, although I can't remember ever needing the valve.

Al

Jerry Ingraham
09-26-2006, 2:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. I figured that it probably wasn't too difficult, just need the correct pieces. I'll get a model number and btu rating tonite and with that, maybe you kind folks can step me through it.
Jerry

donnie wood
09-26-2006, 5:08 PM
What I did was call my gas supplier and they came out and it free. But I do burn more gas now, and that is how they are getting their money back. Give it a try.