View Full Version : making a flagpole

Frank Fusco
09-26-2006, 9:56 AM
We just had a hole dug (no small feat in Ozark rock) for planting a flagpole at our house. Then I started shopping for poles and got sticker shock. :eek: A good pole 15' tall starts about $350.00. Methinks there is a less expensive way. I'm considering pipe or something made with 2x4s. Enney ideas out there?

Matt Warfield
09-26-2006, 10:14 AM
My dad used a 40' steel pipe at our house. Half buried, half above ground. The people who bought the house were a little P.O.'ed that he concreted the entire 20' that he sunk. I wonder where I ever developed my overkill design instinct. :rolleyes:

But, delivery cost of that size of pipe could sink you on price too. I seem to recall that Norm made a flag pole on one episode.

Kev Coleman
09-26-2006, 10:16 AM
yes.

here is the link

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?0309

Rennie Heuer
09-26-2006, 10:17 AM
Have you considered building your own?

Mike Hill
09-26-2006, 10:49 AM
You might try going to a boat yard that deals in old sailboats and pick up a mast. 25 to 40' masts are common and they can be "stepped" on an aluminum plate set in concrete. In addition, if there is a "yardarm" you can fly your state flag off the yardarm :) You see this done allot around sailing clubs and Yacht Clubs.
Mike

John Schreiber
09-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Have you considered building your own?

That looks like a fun project and a perfect excuse to buy a power planer.

With sail boat masts, the process is that you establish the blank to be square, then octagonal, then hexidecitagonal (I made that up, 16 sided), then smooth. Masts were made only of wood for many years and they can take a huge amount of force.

Norm's base is welded, but there's one here locally which is made of 4 4x4's set in concrete looking like an "A" on each side of the pole.

Dave Richards
09-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Frank, you could build the stick using the birdsmouth method which would give you a hollow flag pole. Easy to do and very strong for the weight.

Don Baer
09-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Whatever you do build it stout. In my previous house I had a 15' pole I bought at the local Hardware store. One day when the Santa Ana winds came up in California I didn't have time to get the flags down. A gust came up and bent the pole at ground level.:eek:

Lee Schierer
09-26-2006, 1:05 PM
I made the flag pole that is in our front yard. I used 2" pvc coated electrical conduit. Two sections are 10' long and I got a 3' fiece I sank in the ground surrounded by concrete. The pole is 20' high. They make a nice pvc coated joiner that joins the sections. For the top cap I used a pvc pipe end cap and drilled a hole in the top for a stainless S hook and stainnless brass pulley I picked up in the local True Value hardware store. I used a screw type pipe clamp to attach a stainless boat type cleat to the pole near the bottom to secure the halyard. I fly a 3 X 5 flag on it and it has held up to all the winds we get in NW PA.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
09-26-2006, 1:11 PM
I remember we made on in Boy Scouts at our camp, it was high, maybe 40'...?

We used two posts in the ground with the flagpole in between, and two long bolts, take out the bottom bolt, and you could lower the flagpole to repair the pulley at the top, if needed.

The pole itself was a nice straight lodgepole pine, that we had cut down and peeled the bark off, then but a LOT of coats of creosote on it, the very top where the pulley was had a steel cap that was bolted on and had the pulley attached to it.

It was there for a LONG time, I'd bet 20 years plus.

Cheers!

Jerry Ingraham
09-26-2006, 1:32 PM
I bought a telescoping flagpole a couple years ago at our local fair. It has held up great (and we have had some tremendous winstorms) with no sign of fatigue. You simply push in a release button and lower each section until the flag is at eye level. It even has provisions for 1/2 mast display. Made of anodized aluminum with a 3" brass ball on top. Don't remember the brand but you can probably google telescoping flagpole and find it. I think I paid $185.00.

Keith Outten
09-26-2006, 2:24 PM
Aren't flagpoles supposed to have a truck installed at the top of the pole?

Where can you purchase a flagpole truck if you build your own flagpole?

Keel McDonald
09-26-2006, 3:09 PM
Try here (http://www.flagpolewarehouse.com/trucks.htm). I just did a search and found plenty of options.

Aren't flagpoles supposed to have a truck installed at the top of the pole?

Where can you purchase a flagpole truck if you build your own flagpole?

Keith Outten
09-26-2006, 5:03 PM
Thanks Keel,

Now I need a few bags of quickcrete and a weekend :)

Frank Fusco
09-26-2006, 6:16 PM
I made the flag pole that is in our front yard. I used 2" pvc coated electrical conduit. Two sections are 10' long and I got a 3' fiece I sank in the ground surrounded by concrete. The pole is 20' high. They make a nice pvc coated joiner that joins the sections. For the top cap I used a pvc pipe end cap and drilled a hole in the top for a stainless S hook and stainnless brass pulley I picked up in the local True Value hardware store. I used a screw type pipe clamp to attach a stainless boat type cleat to the pole near the bottom to secure the halyard. I fly a 3 X 5 flag on it and it has held up to all the winds we get in NW PA.

I watched as the responses came in and they came quickly. Thanks, y'all for the input. What has been posted has helped me make a decision. I chose Lee's post to quote because his idea is what I am going with. I went to the local Lowe's and looked at various 'stuff' that might work. The pole kit they sell is flimsy and expensive, I wouldn't buy at 1/3 the price. The elec. pvc looks like the tickee. I want to use 10' of 1 1/2" on the bottom then reduce (if a reducing coupler is available) to 1 1/4" for the top 10' and cap it. At the bottom will be 2' or 3' of 1 1/2" set in concrete. Or (still thimking :rolleyes: on this) maybe two evenly spaced 1/4"X3" pieces of flat steel with holes drilled to match holes in the bottom of the pole to allow lowering for maintenance. Hardware will be pretty much as Lee describes. Total cost should be in the neighborhood of $30.00. However, instead of a truck on top as some have suggested, I'm going with a model ATV. ;)

Randy Meijer
09-27-2006, 1:41 AM
I don't know about the PVC coated conduit; but regular electrical conduit is quite soft.....made that way so it can be bent to go around corners. And my gut feeling is that the joint would be a reall point of weakness. Not withstanding Lee's experience, You might want to check with your welder and get an opinion from him. Also note that Lee used 2" material....presumably sturdier stuff than what you are proposing??

donnie wood
09-27-2006, 3:32 AM
It would be nice to have SMC flag too.

Frank Fusco
09-27-2006, 11:04 AM
I don't know about the PVC coated conduit; but regular electrical conduit is quite soft.....made that way so it can be bent to go around corners. And my gut feeling is that the joint would be a reall point of weakness. Not withstanding Lee's experience, You might want to check with your welder and get an opinion from him. Also note that Lee used 2" material....presumably sturdier stuff than what you are proposing??

Good thought. I didn't know about the "soft" thing. I do want sturdy. Raising 20' of pole could be an adventure in itself. Might have to get pictures on the day it happens. I can see it now....blocking the county road, pulleys, ropes, truck.....wife yelling at me......:eek:

Lee Schierer
09-27-2006, 6:06 PM
I watched as the responses came in and they came quickly. Thanks, y'all for the input. What has been posted has helped me make a decision. I chose Lee's post to quote because his idea is what I am going with. I went to the local Lowe's and looked at various 'stuff' that might work. The pole kit they sell is flimsy and expensive, I wouldn't buy at 1/3 the price. The elec. pvc looks like the tickee. I want to use 10' of 1 1/2" on the bottom then reduce (if a reducing coupler is available) to 1 1/4" for the top 10' and cap it. At the bottom will be 2' or 3' of 1 1/2" set in concrete. Or (still thimking :rolleyes: on this) maybe two evenly spaced 1/4"X3" pieces of flat steel with holes drilled to match holes in the bottom of the pole to allow lowering for maintenance. Hardware will be pretty much as Lee describes. Total cost should be in the neighborhood of $30.00. However, instead of a truck on top as some have suggested, I'm going with a model ATV. ;)

As far as repair goes, I have a joint just inches off the ground. If I need to replace the rope, I can unscrew the upper part of the pole right at ground level or 10 feet up, whichever is easier to get loose.

Alan Schwabacher
09-27-2006, 8:28 PM
The birdsmouth joint wooden version might not be worth the bother for only 10', but it's a good solution for a larger flagpole or mast. Here are some photos I found on the web that show how it's done:
http://watersideboats.com/bolger/masts/
http://users2.ev1.net/~fshagan/bm.htm (http://users2.ev1.net/%7Efshagan/bm.htm)
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/articles/birdsmouth/
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~storerm/Faq/Birdsmouthmast.html (http://members.ozemail.com.au/%7Estorerm/Faq/Birdsmouthmast.html) (this one describes making the mast strong and longer than the stock you make it from.)
http://www.turningaround.org/Birdsmouth2.xls (A calculator to size parts)

Lee Schierer
09-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Good thought. I didn't know about the "soft" thing. I do want sturdy. Raising 20' of pole could be an adventure in itself. Might have to get pictures on the day it happens. I can see it now....blocking the county road, pulleys, ropes, truck.....wife yelling at me......:eek:

It took me and the neighbor less than 30 minutes to get mine up once the concrete had set up. We used a step ladder. On eguy on the ladder the other to line up the screw threads for the lower joint.

I believe the conduit I used is classed as ridgid conduit. Mine might only be 1-1/2" conduit. It is about 2" on the outside. Even so a 3 X 5 flag is all you should really fly on a 20 foot pole.

Christopher Pine
10-06-2006, 12:30 AM
It took me and the neighbor less than 30 minutes to get mine up once the concrete had set up. We used a step ladder. On eguy on the ladder the other to line up the screw threads for the lower joint.

I believe the conduit I used is classed as ridgid conduit. Mine might only be 1-1/2" conduit. It is about 2" on the outside. Even so a 3 X 5 flag is all you should really fly on a 20 foot pole.

Hey guys how about some pictures of these flag poles? I am also interested in putting one up. Thanks!

Chris

Dave Richards
10-06-2006, 6:57 AM
The birdsmouth joint wooden version might not be worth the bother for only 10', but it's a good solution for a larger flagpole or mast. ....http://www.turningaround.org/Birdsmouth2.xls (A calculator to size parts)

Alan, thanks for posting my birdsmouth calculator. I'd forgotten it was on Art's site.

Frank, if you do want a hollow wooden one, the birdsmouth method is very easy and if you stagger the scarfs you can make it as long as you want from less expensive short wood.

Robert Mickley
10-06-2006, 7:57 AM
Bill Grumbine can show you how to make a mast. He had pictures of it on his website at one time. may still be there

Todd Yates
10-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Quick, easy, cheap, and last and last and last, used 2" drillstem. Have used three, one for the flag and two for the martin houses. Ovar 20 years old and have made it through some of those twisty things that seem to come from the sky around these parts. Can't say that for the flags or bird houses.
And yet another, Todd

Joe Chritz
10-06-2006, 2:58 PM
Not that anyone probably cares but....

hexadecagon = 16 sided object.

Great now I have to build that flag pole. I have a perfect spot in the center of my daughters flower garden at the road.

Hope it stays nice after Salmon season so I can get some work done.

Joe

Bob Holzknecht
10-06-2006, 6:00 PM
The telescoping flagpoles are available at the sunsetter awning website. I have had one for several years with zero problems despite regular windy storms here .