PDA

View Full Version : Show off your shop

Rob Bodenschatz
09-26-2006, 9:51 AM
Just got an email from the Woodworkers Book Club stating that they are putting a book together highlighting 50 shops. From what I've seen on SMC, I'm sure we could get a few in there. Here's the text from the email:

Attention Shop Owners: http://www.email-mbsinsight.com/FWPublications/ww/spacer.gif
We want to see your shop and possibly put it in a book! Woodworkers love to see other woodworker's shops so we've decided to make it possible without burning a lot of gas. We will be publishing a book (Winter 2007) highlighting a collection of 50 shops from all over the country. We want the most amazing, the most unique, the most bizarre and even the most whimsical. Don't worry too much about making the place spotless. We want to see how you work as well. You can see a sample shot of my shop on page 15 of your Bulletin.

If you're proud of your shop, let us take a look. Take a few photos of your shop (digital only please) and send them to me at david.thiel@fwpubs.com or to David Thiel, Executive Editor Popular Woodworking Books, 4700 East Galbraith Rd., Cincinnati, OH 45236 along with a short paragraph about yourself, your woodworking and your shop. We'll sift through all the entries and then contact the lucky entrants. Don't worry about your photography. If necessary, we'll arrange for a photographer to shoot your shop for you. If you're one of our published entrants we'll send you a free copy of the book. We need all the entries by November 15, 2006. Good luck!

Julio Navarro
09-26-2006, 10:08 AM
They should at least throw in a free tool or something.

I'd love to know if any one sends in any pictures.

We should have a seperate section here in SMC dedicated to just shop pics.

Rob Bodenschatz
09-26-2006, 10:14 AM
We should have a seperate section here in SMC dedicated to just shop pics.

Actually, I think they're working on that.

tod evans
09-26-2006, 10:22 AM
julio, go read in the support forum this very topic, shop tours, is being discussed in at least one thread....02 tod

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=43323

Keith Outten
09-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Get involved in the conversation, your comments are appreciated.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=43323

Jim Becker
09-26-2006, 1:27 PM
I did a similar thing with WOOD Online a few years ago. No harm in pursuing the event that the OP mentions, but I also think that Keith is going to have the "premo" shop show-off solution sometime soon!

Julio Navarro
09-26-2006, 3:24 PM
I did a similar thing with WOOD Online a few years ago. No harm in pursuing the event that the OP mentions, but I also think that Keith is going to have the "premo" shop show-off solution sometime soon!

I think thats going to be a great section. Nothing inspires more than seeing how someone else did it.

Dave Fernelius
09-26-2006, 3:44 PM
Be sure to let us know where we can get a copy of this publication.
It's been said before, but, it's great to see others shops and you can see great ideas in practice. I'm one of the many that enjoy seeing my fellow woodworkers shop spaces and I'm always impressed by the shops.

John Lucas
09-26-2006, 4:40 PM
I vote for Stu in Tokyo. STu, what a great chance to really showoff your spacious shop. It would really be funif they sent a camera crew. I can picture the guy with a 4 x 5 view camera wanting to step back 25 feet or so.

Rennie Heuer
09-26-2006, 4:56 PM
I vote for Stu in Tokyo. STu, what a great chance to really showoff your spacious shop. It would really be funif they sent a camera crew. I can picture the guy with a 4 x 5 view camera wanting to step back 25 feet or so.

You're assuming they will get the tripod and lighting equipment through the hatch!

Frank Fusco
09-26-2006, 5:05 PM
:confused: I thought advertising wasn't allowed. Is anybody else confused?

Rob Bodenschatz
09-26-2006, 5:19 PM
:confused: I thought advertising wasn't allowed. Is anybody else confused?

Only by your statement.