PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice about turning and finishing bottle stoppers

Ken Fitzgerald
09-26-2006, 12:16 AM
I finally got my patio project and painting done. Tonight I started cleaning the shop. It had about 2 months worth of shavings scattered about. It's time to start some Christmas presents. I want to make a couple of sets of bottle stoppers. I've been using primarily dewaxed shellac, and Myland's friction polish for finishes. I think Deft brushing lacquer would be more appropriate for bottle stoppers since they will have exposure to alcohol.
What finish would you use and how would you apply it?

Thanks!

Raymond Overman
09-26-2006, 7:31 AM
Ken,

I use a friction polish like Mylands or Shella-Wax. It's quick to apply, has good results and unlike a pen, the bottle stopper isn't going to be handled all day every day. Well, at least if they drink that much they won't need a bottle stopper as it will just get in the way.

I prefer the Ruth Niles Stainless Stoppers (http://www.torne-lignum.com/stoppers.html) and I don't like to make the head of the stopper more than 2 inches tall. I have a friend that makes what I call "Red Wine Stoppers" that are 3 or 4 inches long. They can only be used in red wine because they won't fit in the refrigerator on a bottle of white.

Frank Kobilsek
09-26-2006, 9:13 AM
Ken,
Here is my process:
1) Sand to 600, stabilized wood I might go on about half way up the Micro mesh scale
2) Seal with Deft diluted maybe 25%
3) EEE polish, its a turpentine/wax mix that has tripoli in it. Use just like friction polish
4) Mylands Firction Polish
5) Assemble stopper
6) Apply Renasaince Wax to the whole assembly, (Alcohol resistant) It also helps postpone pitting on the chrome stoppers.
Enjoy
Frank

Dennis Peacock
09-26-2006, 9:24 AM
3) EEE polish, its a turpentine/wax mix that has tripoli in it. Use just like friction polish
Enjoy
Frank

Frank, I'm curious about this EEE Polish. Can you buy that or do you "make" it?

Ken,

I can't talk to the bottle stoppers, but on the finish I can...but...Raymond and Frank already have you well taken care of. So I'll just sit in my little corner of Conway and enjoy the forum. :D

Frank Fusco
09-26-2006, 9:39 AM
The Myland's just doesn't have the wear resistance. IMHO, it is fine for things that sit on shelves and just get looked at. Depending on the wood, I may or may not seal with Myland's sanding sealer, then use Deft spray laquer for finish. Bottle stoppers are fun and make neat gifts.

Frank Kobilsek
09-26-2006, 11:15 AM
Dennis
I bought the stuff from Crafts Supply. I had been sanding, sealing and then just using the Mylands. The EEE was recomended by Kirk who is the classroom assistant at Crafts Supply when I was at the AAW Symposium. I first met Kirk when I went to class in Provo summer of 2005.
Frank

Vaughn McMillan
09-26-2006, 3:43 PM
I used CA on my last few bottle stoppers and was happy with the results. I used my standard pen finishing routine of CA, Micro Mesh, and White Diamond buffer.

John Szarek
09-26-2006, 3:50 PM
I have been through a number of different finishes. My 2 favorite ways to finish are :
1. Sand, buff with shavings (careful of hot hands), Beall buff 1&2, and dip in laquer.
2. Sand, Buff, CA, CA, Beall Buff 1,2,3. I put 2 coats of ca on so there is a lower risk of buffing through the CA.

Dominic Greco
09-26-2006, 10:35 PM
Ken,
I used to use fricton polish. But that was before I got a report from my wife that the bottle stopper I gave her looked like it had never been finished! My wife, like many of my customers, loves to chill their wine in the fridge. Once a bottle stopper with an alcohol based finish is exposed to water vapor (like in a fridge), you can kiss that finish adios.

That's about the time I started using spray Lacquer. Several coats of this stuff followed by a dose of wet sanding with micromesh will give you a finish you swear looks like it came off a custom Corvette. And it isn't that hard to apply. I use Deft Glossy Spray Lacquer from Home Depot.

I use Ruth Niles kits and just before installing the turned portion onto the stopper, I sand them to about 320 grit. Then I apply a coat of lacquer based sealer. PSI sells a version that is applied just like Mylands Friction Polish (only it's lacquer based). Once this dries (in about 5 minutes), I set up the bottle stoppers in a jig that resembles a 2x4 with nails driven in it (that's cause it IS a 2x4 with nails drive in it). I spray on LIGHT coats, and make sure I get every inch with no drips or runs. After 15 minutes, I repeat. I do this about 6 to 8 times, then let them sit a day or two to allow the lacquer to harden. Then I take them and wet sand them with micromesh, then polish with 3M Finness it Car polish. After that, I apply a coat of Renn Wax to stop finger prints from ruining all my hard work, then I glue the turned portion to the stopper. I know this sounds like a lot of work. But it is worth it. I sold nearly 80 of these bottle stoppers last year during the holidays.

Just so you could see an example of the finish, I've attached a photo of some that I turned last year.

Good luck!