PDA

View Full Version : Wipe on poly too glossy this time

Charles Green
09-25-2006, 11:57 PM
Just finished a dresser to match a crib that I built last month. Used the same transtint dye and then went on to the Minwax wipe on poly gloss finish.

It is much glossier when compared to the crib. I've used the same number of coats and methods for application.

If I put a coat of the Satin finish on top what will it do? My crib finish has more gloss than satin alone as I did some test pieces to find out what the wife liked.

Any other suggestions? or would the Satin finish work?

Steve Schoene
09-26-2006, 8:18 AM
You certainly can apply satin after the gloss. However, probably the best proceedure would be to use either a fine steel wool, or a rubbing compound (or fine pumice) to rub out both pieces to the same satin sheen. Wait a month after the final application before rubbing out. Be "gentle" since wipe-on finish coats aren't very thick and you don't want to cut through into lower coats.

Satin wipe-on finishes can end-up streaky if not very carefully applied. To get a satin finish a silica flattening agent is added to the varnish. It creates a satin sheen as it rises to the surface as the varnish dries. Consequently, if the wipe-on finish is uneven in film thickness the sheen can be uneven too. You also need to be almost constantly stirring the varnish to keep the flattening agent evenly distributed in the liquid. That said it can be done with care. Its not so difficult that only a few gifted people can bring it off, but it is a challenge nonetheless.

Doug Shepard
09-26-2006, 8:24 AM
Putting Satin over the gloss will help some. I've also used 50/50 mixes of the Satin and gloss with good results. Another thing worth trying is rubbing out the finish with this stuff http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3237
It does a good job of knocking down the sheen as well as leaving the finish silky smooth.