View Full Version : Rolling Slat Wall Display *pic*

David Eisan
10-13-2003, 6:37 PM
Dear All,

I got the rolling displays I am making for work as far as I could today. It turns out there is a router bit I don't own, a 3/8" round over in a 1/4" shank, I will have to pick one up at work tomorrow. All that is left to do is roundover all outside edges and slap some water based poly on the real wood frames and these (I am making a pair) are out of the shop.

http://members.rogers.com/moreweb/images/stand.jpg

I was thinking about adding some additional bracing between the side verticals and the legs, but holy cow, I cannot believe how rigid the frame is, I don't think it needs it. The wood is 3-1/2"x3-1/2" spruce joined with half laps using polyurethane glue. I also pinned all the joints with walnut Miller Dowels, two horizontally on one side and two vertically on the other. The 3/4" slat wall sits in a 1-1/2" wide groove that is 3/4" deep. These are double sided so things can be hung on both sides.

Thanks,

David.

Every neighbourhood has one, in mine, I'm him.

Tom Sweeney
10-13-2003, 10:32 PM
Those look great - what will they be used for?

I don't think the frame is going anywhere with all the glue surface of the half lap joints plus the dowls. The dowels add a subtle touch of style to them also.

Are the Miller dowels the stepped dowels that you use a special drill bit? Have you you used them before & if so how do they work? I mostly wonder if it is an easy way to make strong joints.

David Eisan
10-13-2003, 10:52 PM
>>>Those look great - what will they be used for?

We need more isle display space at work, so my first intention is to hang a whole bunch of Delta branded router bits.

Also, when we go to wood shows, all of our small items end up getting spread on folding tables like a flea market and I would like our displays to look nicer. We needed something that we could roll into a building all set up, and this will allow us to do that.

>>>I don't think the frame is going anywhere with all the glue surface of the half lap joints plus the dowls. The dowels add a subtle touch of style to them also.

I cut the half laps with my new Hitachi SCMS, the new one with the laser, it made cutting these joints easy. I cleaned the joints up with a rabbet block plane, so they were quite tight fitting. Even without glue, the legs were extremely to the verticals, I had to lightly persuade the legs in place with my BFRM.

>>>Are the Miller dowels the stepped dowels that you use a special drill bit? Have you you used them before & if so how do they work? I mostly wonder if it is an easy way to make strong joints.

Yes. We were one of the first Canadian tool stores to start carrying them last year. This was the first time I have used the system. I don't think they are appropriate for the fine furniture I like to think I usually make, but they are great for utility pieces. And you are right, I don't think they are *really* required for this application, but hell, they look good :).

David.

Kirk (KC) Constable
10-14-2003, 7:20 AM
...These are double sided so things can be hung on both sides...

Looks like that basic idea could be easily adapted for use as a mobile clamp rack...

KC