PDA

View Full Version : Started The Kitchen Remodel....

Corey Hallagan
09-25-2006, 9:40 PM
Well, Saturday was time to start the kitchen remodel. This house was built in 1962 and the cabinets are the original. The remodel will consist of new cabinets and a different configuration plus a new regridgerator and a dishwasher. No wall removal but need to do some repairs, all new trim, flooring and counters. Currently arguing with the wife over the color. She wants this Cayene red/orange color. I'm not feeling it. Makes me sick to think about it. Anyway, here are some pics of the removal of the cabinets and the little bulkhead I guess you would call it! Anyway next is removal of the old laminate and preparing the ceilings and walls for new paint. Thanks to Steve Clardy for his advise as well! Some of these cabinets will have a new home in my shop and some will got to the father-in-laws shop.

Corey

Jim Becker
09-25-2006, 9:43 PM
'Nothing like the start of a major project to get you seeing red, eh? :D

Seriously, keep this pictorial going Corey!

Corey Hallagan
09-25-2006, 9:46 PM
This is true Jim, and would even be worse if I was building the cabinets which I planned on for the last year, but given the time frame,small shop my small shop it just isn't going to happen. I will try to post pics as I go along. They sure did things different back then! Also I plan on doing the floor the very last thing next to the final base trim. I will wait until I can to pull the sink and sink base out so we have some sort of operational exsistence for a month or.......

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
09-25-2006, 9:56 PM
Yep Corey I agree, can't say as I see the Red/Orange either. Anyway keep the pictures coming.

Frank Snyder
09-25-2006, 10:11 PM
Best of luck to you, Corey.

We did our living room in a red/orange (SW Roycroft Adobe) paint and we had our reservations before we put it up on the walls, but much to our surprise, it looked better than any other color we could have gone with. The key is to use the right contrasting woods, textures and colors. Putting together a color pallete is probably the easiest way to figure out the design scheme. Nonetheless, I can appreciate your concern.

Corey Hallagan
09-25-2006, 10:11 PM
I am told it's all the rage Bernie! This from the same guy that took a month to be talked in to Taupe from antique white :) We'll see!

Corey

Guy Germaine
09-26-2006, 6:50 AM
Looks like you'll have some nice shop cabinets, though.

Richard Wolf
09-26-2006, 7:52 AM
Nice big project for you, best of luck. Keep the pics. coming.

Richard

Kelly C. Hanna
09-26-2006, 8:56 AM
Hope you get your choice of colors....not sure red-orange would set well with me either.

Al Willits
09-26-2006, 9:08 AM
We married to the same women???
Yours change her mind on a regular basis too???

We're just starting the kitchen also, our house was built a bit before yours, but the appliances are harvest gold, so I'm thinking it was remodeled in the early 60's, only thing missing was the formica table with the boomerangs on it...:)

We were gonna tear out the wall between the dining room and kitchen, but chickened out, just to much work..

Ya, the old cabinets going into the garage/shop is a nice bonus...we deserve it though...:D

Good luck and have fun.

Al

Jim O'Dell
09-26-2006, 9:58 AM
It just boils down to: Would YOU rather see red, or would you rather your WIFE sees red???? THAT is the question at hand. :D :D
Seriously, I would have trouble feeling like I was in HD all the time, too. Maybe get some of the paint the color she is thinking about, and paint the walls where the cabintes will be, if it is the cabinets she wants this color, or if it is color for the walls, go ahead and put some color up there and look. Easy to prime and paint over if she then agrees with you that it doesn't work. Who knows, you may be the one that changes his mind instead! Jim.

Corey Hallagan
09-26-2006, 7:35 PM
Well we are really pretty far apart on the paint issue guys. She doesn't even want red orange. She wants orange...as in starburst orange if you are a fan of the candy fruit chews. I don't know where this came from, we are pretty conservative people :) Well I am currently working the.... "let's go neutral and then you can acessorize with ...gulp... any color you want" ....oh boy!

Corey

Steve Clardy
09-26-2006, 8:05 PM
We married to the same women???
Yours change her mind on a regular basis too???

We're just starting the kitchen also, our house was built a bit before yours, but the appliances are harvest gold, so I'm thinking it was remodeled in the early 60's, only thing missing was the formica table with the boomerangs on it...:)

We were gonna tear out the wall between the dining room and kitchen, but chickened out, just to much work..

Ya, the old cabinets going into the garage/shop is a nice bonus...we deserve it though...:D

Good luck and have fun.

Al

Still laughing about the boomerangs:D :D ;)

Steve Clardy
09-26-2006, 8:13 PM
Well we are really pretty far apart on the paint issue guys. She doesn't even want red orange. She wants orange...as in starburst orange if you are a fan of the candy fruit chews. I don't know where this came from, we are pretty conservative people :) Well I am currently working the.... "let's go neutral and then you can acessorize with ...gulp... any color you want" ....oh boy!

Corey

Color issues remind me of our house, which isn't done yet. Stucco.

I THOUGHT we had decided, agreed on light gray with dark gray trim.

Then, She suddenly changed to white trim. Arrghh.:confused:

After several pretty heated discussions, I gave up. What the hey. Paint it purple.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Then She comes home one day with two buckets of paint.
I'm changing colors, found what I want.
What colors?:confused:
Sandstone with Dark reddish brown trim.
Me:eek: :eek:

I just went back to the shop.
An hour later, she strolled into the shop.
Come see what you think!!!
I stepped outside.:eek:

She had painted a portion of the rear porch wall sandstone, the soffit trim and window---------------------------------------------

BRIGHT ORANGE:eek: :(

Needless to say, She painted over those colors on her own decision.

Karl Laustrup
09-26-2006, 8:17 PM
Good luck Corey.

Thank goodness I didn't have that problem when we built our house. I'm a firm believer in neutral wall colors and then bring colors in with accessories. Accessories are easy to change. Minimal labor and minimal money, as a rule. LOML agrees which is good because she changes her mind fairly regular.

I will say those cabinets look like they're in really good shape for being 40+ years old.

Keep the updates coming.

Karl

Al Willits
09-26-2006, 10:43 PM
"""""""""""
Still laughing about the boomerangs:D :D ;)
"""""""

Didn't think many remembered them boomarangs...:)

Go for the bright color...even if its orange.
We've been basic blah for 25+ years and we finally broke out of the basic yellow or green rooms, kitchen is gonna have black appliances (a first) hardwood floors, (another first) and light pink walls, well there's a fancier name for it, but it looks kinda like light pink, with the ajoining dining room a slighly darker pink color and light Oak cabinets.

We're not sure what all this is gonna look like, but it kinda feels nice not to be blah again.....so let her go with the orange, what's the worst that can happen?

Al

Jim Becker
09-26-2006, 10:52 PM
When we moved into this property back in 1999, the cabinets were "Revolutionary War" blue with bright orange counter tops and back-splashes. You can catch a glimpse of that on my web site in both the kitchen island project and the kitchen renovation demolition/construction pictorial. (The powder room had the same, um...complexion...at the time.

Corey Hallagan
09-26-2006, 11:04 PM
I remember the boomerangs Al! Also the Starbursts that were prominent in clocks,wall hangings etc. I remember as a kid we had a bomerang shaped blonde end tables. We thought we were styling!

Karl, I totally agree with you buddyand that has been our MO for 25 years but I am loosing the war here! Don't know what the heck happened!! Jim, actually, those colors are both on a paint sample my wife brought home together. IT's that complimentery color thing.... but no one has any compliments to hand out on it!

Corey

Barry Stratton
09-27-2006, 1:33 PM
Good luck and THANKS Corey!!!

The "thanks" is `cuz I showed LOML your thread in the turners forum about not remodeling the kitchen due to the lathe purchase and guess what..........I just finished removing all the old wall paper and have started taking down the upper cabinets. Next up is spraying texture, priming, painting (3 shades of green), cleaing up and reinstalling cabinets, then installing a new countertop......... I owe you one buddy;)

Jim Becker
09-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Corey, I don't know what your future plans are, but if there is ANY chance that you may need or want to move sometime in the reasonable future, the colors you choose now will have a material effect on both your selling price and buyer's impressions of the home. Kitchens are key focal points. When we bought this house in 1999, we knew that we would be updating the kitchen when we could afford to do so--the 1970s colors really didn't cut it. We also suspect it was one of the reasons the previous owner had trouble selling, even given the nearly four acres of land and outbuilding. Only a day-care tried to buy before us and they were shot down by the township on zoning issues--the house was on the market for nearly a year in what was a hot market at the time. The owners had to sell because their new home was going to be ready and their health was failing. IMHO, we "stole" the property for what we paid for it.

Paint and wallpaper you can change quite easily and inexpensively. Counters, etc., are a different story.

Now, if we could only get rid of all the mauve in the current master bathroom...oy! But the "8000 pound" whirlpool isn't going anywhere soon...

Bernie Weishapl
09-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Corey I agree with Jim on this one. When we remodeled our contractor that helped me do this said he recommend going with nice oak cabinets and if painting just go with white. He said a a gray or speckled black, gray and white countertop. He said if we decide to sell in 3 yrs. when I retire to move nearer the kids he said the house will definately sell about 5 time quicker. Just a thought.

Corey Hallagan
09-27-2006, 11:20 PM
Well Jim & Bernie, we have lived here for 20 years now and we have plans to live here until we are moved to the rest home. Just don't have any desires to move. Of course things change... but there is no plans on the horizon for a move. Still your thoughts are absolutely true and bottom line all the remodeling done in the last year ( bathroom, living room entryway and hallway) have been on the conservative side, earthtones etc. That is why the sudden shocker colors have me baffled, however I think she is starting to doubt her color choice and how it flows with the rest of the house. I think we are close to agreeing on a suitable color :)

Corey

Al Willits
09-28-2006, 9:25 AM
Corey, we're in the same boat, when we sell it'll probably be to put us in the home, so we're doing what we want...er...mostly she in this case...:)

But I have found that if she says she likes something and I disagree, she'll like that till she dies, but if I agree, she'll usually change her mind, kinda a reverse psychology thing I think..

I have found that when my wife decides on something, that doesn't mean that's what she wants tomm, its what she wants today...maybe even this hour...and if I wait a bit she'll change her mind....well, other than the new Lund ProVee, that's taking a bit longer than I'd hoped..:)

So it sounds like the orange is doubtful, go tell her you love orange and I'd bet you'll be back to something a little less colorful...maybe.

Have fun...:D

Al

Jim Becker
09-28-2006, 9:44 AM
Preface: All of this is my own opinion and just put here for discussion purposes...

Corey...the simple solution is probably to do the "bold" in places that it is easy to adjust as time and tastes change...even in your own household. Pick up any design/decor/home improvement magazine and you'll see bold colors. On walls. On furnishings. On accessories. But you will be less likely (with obviously some exceptions) to see it on "permanent" things like counter tops. In fact, I'm thinking about doing my new office/study in the addition (should it ever come to pass...) with a bolder color theme. It's a small room and I can either try to make it bigger by keeping it nearly white or make it "cozy" by going bold and dark. And if it's a mistake, I can change it with a few weekends of time and a few gallons of paint.

Hmm...orange. There are a lot of shades that "orange" can cover, including some that are closer to the earth tones you have embraced elsewhere in your home. Using one or more of them with some splashy bright orange accent pieces/tchatchkas could also solve the need for color and allow more unification with the rest of your spaces. The question to ask is, "Do I want my kitchen to feel like it's part of the rest of the house or a completely separate, unrelated space?"

Be creative!