View Full Version : Where can I find this doorstop?

Jamie Buxton
09-25-2006, 9:35 PM
Someplace I've seen a clever doorstop. It holds the door from blowing open or closed, and can be released with your toe. I think I saw it in some commercial setting, and I can't find a source for it.

The two sketches below show how it works. The first sketch shows just the doorstop. The blue thing is fastened to the floor. The orange thing pivots on the grey axle. When the door moves toward the doorstop, it hits the wedge on the left end of the orange thing, and the orange thing pivots down on the grey axle. When the door continues past the barb at the end of the ramp, the orange thing pivots back up, trapping the door between the blue thing and the barb on the orange thing. The second sketch shows the green door, trapped. To release the door, you push down on the tip of the ramp with your toe. As I recall, the doorstop just operates by gravity -- not even with any springs.

The one I saw was aluminum, but I'd take any metal.

Does anybody know where I can find this device?

Ben Grunow
09-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Never seen one but looks like about 10 mins worth of work in the shop (think scrap plywood and a dowel or bolt) if looks arent important.

Lee Schierer
09-26-2006, 2:13 PM
We have some chain link fence type gates out behind where I work. They are held open by similar devices. Check with a fence company and they might be able to tell you what they are called.

Jamie Buxton
09-26-2006, 5:26 PM
Lee, that isn't what I had in mind, but it might just work. Thanks. I'll order one up and see what the homeowners think. BTW, the fence people call them duckbill holdbacks.