PDA

View Full Version : wedding gift set

Todd Jones
09-25-2006, 5:02 PM
Hello all here is a wedding gift set that my wife and I sell in our store we make this out of 1/8 acrylic and engrave both the glasses and the top plate.

Leigh Costello
09-25-2006, 9:32 PM
Wonderful! Thanks for posting the cup/glass holder. I have done glasses for weddings and anniversaries, but I hadn't come up with a holder pattern yet.

Rick Maitland
09-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Thanks for sharing Todd. First thing that popped into my head was.... Why the heck didnt I think of that!! :D I'm always over thinking my designs. Take this design as an example. I also do vinyl signs as well but needed a quicker way of applying tape to mask the cut vinyl. Weber makes what they call a Premasker that is a very simple looking device that clamps the tape roll to a table, but I just cant see paying over $200.00 for something that is so simple looking. Well I thought with a laser cutter and some acrylic I could make my own. I did get a finished product but it broke after a few dozen uses. Back to the drawing board :rolleyes:. Let me know what you think of the design and give me some feedback. What do you guys use?

Todd Jones
09-26-2006, 7:19 AM
the design looks good we use a lot of ribbon for ornaments so I think I'll make one. looks like your using 1/8 thick acrylic you might try using 1/4 " to keep the price down I would cut the flame and wahers out of the 1/8 and the rest out of 1/4

Joe Pelonio
09-26-2006, 8:43 AM
Thanks for sharing Todd. First thing that popped into my head was.... Why the heck didnt I think of that!! :D I'm always over thinking my designs. Take this design as an example. I also do vinyl signs as well but needed a quicker way of applying tape to mask the cut vinyl. Weber makes what they call a Premasker that is a very simple looking device that clamps the tape roll to a table, but I just cant see paying over $200.00 for something that is so simple looking. Well I thought with a laser cutter and some acrylic I could make my own. I did get a finished product but it broke after a few dozen uses. Back to the drawing board :rolleyes:. Let me know what you think of the design and give me some feedback. What do you guys use?
Rick, there's a lot of stress on anything that you are pulling on that hard, like a full roll of transfer tape. Wood is a lot stronger. I have a rack that's 6' High and 2' wide, against the wall. I got some dowel and holders that are used for closets to hang clothes, and installed them 8" apart. On the top I have 20", then under that 18", then 16", and after that I share smaller sizes, like 12" and 8" on one dowel. Then under my glass topped weeding table I have just one dowel set up for the 24" transfer tape, which I use the most. Then another single in the laser room that has 12".

Rodne Gold
09-26-2006, 11:36 AM
You guys should really get into perspex bending , use a wire based bender. It's extremely easy and can be mastered in minutes and you will be able to simplify your designs and make em alot stronger. We built our own 900mm benders using nichrom resistance wire and decent control units for less than $300 , these are pretty sophisticated units as good as anything commercial out there.
I wouldnt recommend element type benders over a wire bender, wire will allow VERY sharp bends.
That and a little bit of acrylic glueing will enable you to make extremely complex stuff. The laser is well suited to this task as you can cut intricate shapes as well as raster bend lines that contribute to precison bending.

The cell phone cradle and paper box and the pen holder thingy are made using a simple bender

Steve McKee
09-26-2006, 2:01 PM
Thanks for the post Todd. I think I'll have to make one or ten of these.

Steve

Mike Hood
09-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Todd;

Can you take a picture of your wire bender. I've got much nichrome sitting around here and this would be a cool addition to the shop :)

Todd Jones
09-29-2006, 7:05 AM
Mike it was Rodne Gold that has the bender I would also like to see a picture of it I do a lot of stuff in acrylic and I could sure use a bender

Rodne Gold
09-29-2006, 7:43 AM
Will post pics on Tuesday , Im not at work right now.

Al Mutairi
09-30-2006, 3:46 PM
Can someone post the tape dispencer file in a version other than version 12 ?

Thanks

Todd Jones
09-30-2006, 4:17 PM
here you go this in in version 9