PDA

View Full Version : Redheart Lidded Box

Keith Burns
09-25-2006, 2:50 PM
Redheart with a Lacewood Lid and Redheart Finial. Measures 5-1/2" dia. by about the same overall height. Walls are approx. 1/8". I turned 5 different finials before I had one I was somewhat happy with. Finish is wipe on poly then beall buffed. The reason I call this a box and not a lidded HF is that the opening is 2-3/4" dia. which allows plenty of room to place and retrive any objects you may want to keep in it. As always I appreciate your looking and appreciate you "honest" critiques.

Mike Ramsey
09-25-2006, 3:28 PM
Very nice! I really like the overall form & the finial!

Montgomery Scott
09-25-2006, 3:39 PM
The overall form is pleasing, but I think the finial should have been about 2/3 of it's design size. It seems to be too large for the hollow form. I personally quit using redheart as it turns a rather unappealing pink with a yellowish hue, so you should consider storing it where there is little direct or indirect light.

Brett Baldwin
09-25-2006, 5:20 PM
That first picture made me think of Jupiter and the Big Red Spot in a sort of color negative way. The finial looks good but seems awfully fragile at the interface. The woods look good together.

Ernie Nyvall
09-25-2006, 7:53 PM
I like it Keith.

Corey Hallagan
09-25-2006, 8:08 PM
Very pretty box Keith!

corey

Pete Jordan
09-25-2006, 9:22 PM
A very classy looking piece. Great job!

Richard Madison
09-25-2006, 9:43 PM
Keith,
I think it's beautiful, but the pointed top/lid bothers me. Consider making a smoothly rounded top out of some scrap, install one of your reject finials, and see what you think. OTOH that would create a discontinuity between the lid and the finial. Never mind.

Ted Calver
09-25-2006, 9:44 PM
Keith,
This is a really nice combination of woods and a pleasing form. If you were to make another similar one, you might consider a slightly scaled down finial--but not much. Good job!!

Richard Madison
09-25-2006, 9:45 PM
Or shape the finial so that its base blends smoothly into the lid, eliminating that discontinuity.

Bernie Weishapl
09-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Keith that is a beauty. I like the form and finish. Nice job.

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-25-2006, 11:04 PM
Beautiful job, Kieth. I really like the combo!

Bruce

Ken Fitzgerald
09-26-2006, 12:25 AM
Keith ............I like it! The contrasting woods....the offset in the form caused by the lid and yet it continues the form. The finial.........I like it all!

Keith Burns
09-26-2006, 4:08 PM
Thanks all for your comments. Believe me they are appreciated !!!

Christopher K. Hartley
09-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Keith, I love it, the contrast in woods, the form and the finial.:) Now this is just my personal taste but I would have cut the lid to fit snug and close to the box like a collar on a HF having a finer edge.;) I also realize that each person applies their own touch and there is nothing wrong with what you have done. If you do decide to cut your next lid thinner at the edge be careful. I just did a Purple Heart collar and cut my self a good one it was so sharp. Last comment...Great looking Box!!

Jim Becker
09-26-2006, 10:56 PM
I like the form of the piece a lot. I also agree with Montgomery that the finial could be a little "lighter" or "daintier" than it feels right now. That might take this from a really nice piece to an "awesome/outstanding" on!

Jim Dunn
09-26-2006, 11:16 PM
We're not worthy.:D It's a beaut.