PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments...

Dennis Peacock
09-25-2006, 9:30 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

It was a very good weekend for us. We finally got some much needed rain, even though we really could use more....but I'm thankful for what rain we did get.:)

Mark Cothren and I continued to work on the cradle for his soon coming grandbaby. Needless to say that he's still popping those buttons on his shirt from being so proud.;)

I'm also trying to learn how to use various hand tools like chisels, handplanes, and handsaws so I can add hand tools to my skillset of woodworking. I'm quickly finding that I need to add handtools to my skillset because not everything can be done via powertools...at least not with my limited collection of powertools. I'm improving at using chisels and I'm just barely above the "stink" mark at using a handplane...but I'm working on that. I also used a new Dozuki saw this weekend for the 1st time. Boy is it nice to cut wood by hand with something that is sharp! Well, compare that to all the old handsaws I have that are so dull that they won't cut butter in the middle of July.:D

It was church and bass playing on Sunday and I actually got out in the shop and roughed out a couple of Black Cherry Bowls....thanks Mark Cothren and realized how rusty I was on the lathe because of all the flatwork I've been doing for so long. My flatwork isn't done, but I've all but stopped my projects so I can assist Mark in getting the cradle done. It's been fun and enjoyable. Thanks Mark for letting me part of your cradle project.

It's back to work today and I already know it's going to be a very full day.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all....

Mike Hill
09-25-2006, 9:39 AM
This weekend was almost all with the family. Two Birthdays, Grandson Logan was 5, LOML was 60. So Saturday everyone converged on our house in Round Rock for Ribs on the smoker (Oak, Pecan and Apple woods) for the Birthday Parties. A wonderful day in the yard with family (4 children, 3 souses and 7 Grandchildren plus a few other guest. Sunday found us going south to Buda Texas for the Baptism of out twin Grandkids, Grant and Garrison. Afterwords everyone converged on our In-Laws home for Brunch.

They all checked out the Jewelry boxes for the Church which I am delivering today and decided they needed one of those. Even the guys suggested jewelry trays for the top of their dressers for Xmas. Just more fun work to do in the shop over the next month or two.
Mike

Tyler Howell
09-25-2006, 9:47 AM
Hi Dennis,
One step closer to country living.
Made an offer on a home near the BWCA in northern Minnesota.
Great shop area and room to expand.:cool: :D :D

Finally trimmed out a door in the den. I've been meditating and scheming on this one for years. It has some deep extension jams and butted up against existing molding. Worked out out good.
Make a couple of light fixtures and worked in the yard.
Busy an full weekend

Steve Ash
09-25-2006, 9:48 AM
Well we had a new member of the family arrived last Thursday morning, so my brother and his daughter came down from the Upper Peninsula to see the newborn....and while they were here I was brainwashi....er, I mean showing my other great-nephew that green and yellow is a wonderful color combination.....he hasn't a choice.:D

Art Mulder
09-25-2006, 9:53 AM
Saturday I got to visit/meet a fellow woodworker - though he is on the Canadian Woodworking forum, not SMC. It is always fun to check out someone else's shop. He demonstrated his delta 32-255x drum sander for me on some end-grain cutting boards I brought over. Nice job, but it does take a while to remove stock.

Sunday after church we got rid of two (of the four) kids by "allowing" them to go visit friends. So we had a pretty quiet afternoon at home. I got started on this shelf project (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=42230) by sorting out a bunch of cherry shorts from my stash, and planing 2 garbage bags full of shavings.

Also finished up a small/plain baltic birch storage box for my wife.
47507 47508
We homeschool, and use the "Math-U-See" program for teaching math. She asked me to make a storage box to hold/sort the math blocks. It ain't fine woodworking, but it does the job, does it well, and she's happy. So am I.

Have a good week, all!

Mark Pruitt
09-25-2006, 10:03 AM
More time at the lathe.
Turned a bowl and saucer:

and finish turned a piece from a few weeks ago:

Where does the time go?:rolleyes:

Mark

Matt Meiser
09-25-2006, 10:35 AM
Saturday I graded our driveway then headed off for our woodworking club's family picnic. On Sunday I did a little landscaping work by the shop--installing a small wall on the other side of the driveway from the one I built two weeks ago to hide the discharge line from the sump pump I had to install over the summer. Then I got to work on a MAJOR cleanup of the shop. After putting everything away and vacuuming the visible stuff, I broke out the leaf blower, opened up the big overhead door and made several passes blowing out debris. In between each pass I vacuumed stuff again. After letting the dust that was left settle I dusted almost everything with a couple of those microfiber dust cloths. Since everything was clean an put away, I took about 50 pictures of the current state of the shop including inside drawers, etc. for insurance records.

Today is an extended weekend since I am taking some comp time after a brutal week last week. I'm planning to start on a new project today--If I can bear to dirty the shop :)

Don Baer
09-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Sat Morn took LOML to the Homeand garden show. When we came home I worked on her desk a little. Sunday church, lunch, a little shopping with LOML then more shop time, finished installing the drawer in her desk.

Greg Narozniak
09-25-2006, 11:04 AM
last week was vacation to help SWMBO with our Newborn. It was lots of fun taking our 3.5 to school each day and picking up as well, forgot how much I miss that.

Got in some shop time this week. Was able to setup the steel shelving to store lots of containers and boxes on so I could disassemble the wall of benches so I can rebuild them and reconfgure them. I got three 8' lights installed and realized I am going to need 8 - 10 to get it as bright as I want with the main support beam deviding the garage 60/40. Got the Cyclone but back together but no pipe has been run yet. Got a lot of "outside" items put in the shed and out of the shop to try and free up as much room as I can.

It is amazing how every time I move something like sheetgoods, from one place to another i need to get into the space I just moved them too. ARGGGGGGHHHHH :)

Hank Knight
09-25-2006, 11:46 AM
I built a potting bench for LOML. At least I got all the joinery cut and assembled. I just need to take it out in the yard and screw it together. It's made of pressure treated SYP. Boy, is that stuff ever wet! I left a couple of pieces on my table saw overnight and when I got up yesterday morning, I had a rusty table. I made sure I cleaned and oiled all my tools before I put them away last night.

Scott Coffelt
09-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Man, we were a busy bunch around the Coffelt household. My son had basketball practice Sat. morning, then we had to hurry home and change for flag football. Then off to that, where I am an assistant coach. Then back home and time for lunch.

Spent the majority of the rest of the day working on the master bath remodel. Several trips to the big box. Installed some trim, built a cat seat for the window.

Sunday, after church it was back to work. I got my wife's vanity pulled, removal of sheetrock, re-routed water lines and drainage pipe. Re-routed an electrical box and then back to sheetrock and finally installing her vanity. Quick trip around to look for new lighting----no luck.

I have to head out of town tomorrow, so I guess I am grounded till Friday and then we have the Nascar and Busch races this upcoming weekend. So things may sit like they are for a week or so.

My legs sure are tired today, I think I made 30 trips to the basement from the second floor each day.

Chip Olson
09-25-2006, 5:50 PM
Got into the shop for a bit to do some final touch-up sanding etc. on the cabinet drawers, and also fix a goof. I rounded off the top edges of the drawers and pull-outs, but as the drawers are getting false fronts, their front edges needed to stay square.. so of course I rounded one of those off too. So I cut a matching cove in the edge of a piece of scrap, cut it off as close as possible and glued it in place. Once dry, I cut off the excess in the other dimension and sanded it flush. You almost can't tell it's there.

Also found time to do those little useful things like make push sticks and sharpen chisels. Need to build a new clamp rack soon.

David Klug
09-25-2006, 7:42 PM
Sat. morn. I got my grandson help for taking a 10' cupboard outside so I could spray Watco finishing oil on it. Later in the afternoon another grandson and his family showed up for the weekend. They have 2 boys in the 4th and 5th grade and a little sweetie 4 1/2 months old. We had pizza that evening and Sun. we had a barbaque. We had a coulple more grandkids so up for the barbaque so after everyone had their fill we sat around and visited. I was a great day gma & gpa.

DK

Steve Clardy
09-25-2006, 9:05 PM
Worked in the shop all day saturday, staining maple cabinets.
Sunday started the same, then son #3 showed up with a wood splitter.
I had a tandem axle log truck deliver me a load of firewood logs this spring. About six cords by the time its worked up.
So we cut and split up and stacked this winters shop wood supply.
Still need about four more cord. And a couple more for the house to dry for next year