PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Upgrade?

Joe Jensen
09-25-2006, 12:57 AM
I have a Powermatic 1988 Gold made in USA 14" bandsaw that has served me very well for general purpose work. Frankly I use it most for making jigs and for quick cutoffs and handyman chores around the house. I've never tried to do real resawing, but I am now planning to move in that direction.

SO...the upgrade bug strikes. I am considering a 16-18" bandsaw and from reading all the posts here it looks like the MM16 and the Laguna 16 or 18 are the ones to look at. I also looked at the Rikon 18" at a Woodcraft, but the posts here on the tracking adjustment design issues worries me. I set the tracking on my Powermatic exactly once for each blade change, and it's very quick and simple.

Here are my questions.
1) How much HP do I need? I like the idea of the 4.5HP Baldor motor on the Laguna LT16HD, but would it make more sense to just move up to the LT18?
2) The Laguna ceramic blade guide seem like a gimic to me. They have to be much cheaper to make than the ball bearing type guides, and why would a great abrasive make the best full contact guide? Frankly the ceramic guides are the biggest negative I see to the Laguna.
3) Should I really be considering the Bridgewood instead of the Laguna? Is the Minimax MM16 the same as the Bridgewood PBS-440? The Bridgewood only has 3HP, is that material?
4) How much discounts are people getting with "show specials" Laguna is coming to Phoenix in Nov for a show and I'd like to have made a decision by then. I think there is a showroom for Minimax in Irvine CA. It's a short hop from Phx to Irvine, so I could fly there to check out the minimax. Unless someone from the forum has one in the Phx area.
5) How about accessories. Is the mobility kit useful? I would need the saw on a mobile base, and it looks like the Minimax mobility kit is a good substitute.
6) Dust collection is important to me. Any feedback here?

Thanks, sorry for all the questions, but I'm an engineer by training and I NEED all the data :)

Mike Weaver
09-25-2006, 1:24 AM
Joe,
Just a suggestion, but you might try searching SMC on MM16 & LT16HD:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?searchid=864201

As to your question regarding HP - as much as you can get. Resawing can be done with lesser motors, but it will be SLOW and you run the risk of burning up your motor.

I can't answer the question about the two different Laguna models - as I already know I'm getting the Italian Stallion (a.k.a MM16 :D) when I upgrade.

When I researched all of this a year ago, *my* impression was the MM customer service was superior to Laguna's.

As for Bridgewood, Wilke's customer service is first rate and the PBS-440 looks like a decent machine (I live within easy driving distance & have looked at it.)

Anyway, search this forum a bit and join the MM yahoo group & post your questions there as well.

You'll find both Laguna and MM supporters here.

Good luck & I hope this helps some,
-Mike

Dan Montgomery
09-25-2006, 1:47 AM
Joe:

I am just wondering about something from your post. From what I have heard, your Powermatic is not a bad saw at all. I am not sure what your re-saw capacity is in terms of clearance height. If you don't have physical height capacity you need on your saw, then upgrading is the only way to go. However, if that capacity is OK and you have not tried to re-saw much on it, you might consider getting a Highland Hardware Wood Slicer blade for thirty something bucks (I think) and give your machine a tryout.

I use a 14" Laguna with about a 12"resaw capacity and the Highland blade. I resaw with every project, but I only build one project at a time and hardly at a everyday production pace. My machine is more than adequate for what I do.

As far as Laguna guides and dust collection, I have no complaints after two years with my machine. The dust collection is very good. The guides are fine once adjusted.

Hope this helps.

Joe Jensen
09-25-2006, 1:57 AM
Joe:

I am just wondering about something from your post. From what I have heard, your Powermatic is not a bad saw at all. I am not sure what your re-saw capacity is in terms of clearance height. If you don't have physical height capacity you need on your saw, then upgrading is the only way to go. However, if that capacity is OK and you have not tried to re-saw much on it, you might consider getting a Highland Hardware Wood Slicer blade for thirty something bucks (I think) and give your machine a tryout.

I use a 14" Laguna with about a 12"resaw capacity and the Highland blade. I resaw with every project, but I only build one project at a time and hardly at a everyday production pace. My machine is more than adequate for what I do.

As far as Laguna guides and dust collection, I have no complaints after two years with my machine. The dust collection is very good. The guides are fine once adjusted.

Hope this helps.
My saw is great, but it only has a 1/2HP motor, and only 6" of capacity. I've used it to resaw 6" wide 8/4 stock and it works well, but it's slow. I'd like to be able to resaw 12" wide 8/4 stock for book matching doors.

My saw has a solid cast frame, so I can't add a riser block. How much HP could I add to the the Powermatic?

Joe Jensen
09-25-2006, 1:58 AM
Joe,
Just a suggestion, but you might try searching SMC on MM16 & LT16HD:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?searchid=864201

Mike thanks for the link. I read all of those, and many many more on SMC. I think I really need to see each machine in person...joe

Mike Weaver
09-25-2006, 7:41 AM
Mike thanks for the link. I read all of those, and many many more on SMC. I think I really need to see each machine in person...joe
Joe,
Yes, seeing each in person would be an excellent idea. That's how I saw/used my first MM16 as a matter of fact.

I should have menioned that before - if you call MM, I'm sure they can put you in touch with someone "local" who would be willing to let you see/test drive his/her machine.

I suspect Laguna will do that as well, but have no experience regarding that.

-Mike
PS Take not of the age of the bandsaw and what/how it's used just so that you can compare apples to apples.

Dan Montgomery
09-25-2006, 8:09 AM
Got it Joe. Good luck in the search.

richard poitras
09-25-2006, 8:29 AM
Joe, you might want to call laguna up, they will send you a free DVD on there band saws , I have seen it and it is informative .....

tod evans
09-25-2006, 8:49 AM
joe, to answer a couple of your questions, 1) bigger motor is better for resawing. 2) i like ball bearing guides. 3) you should look at all the saws in your price range, and no the bridgwood isn`t the same as the mm. 4) most show discounts are a couple hundred bucks sometimes a little more if you buy the demo. 5) the mm moblity kit on my lil` saw works well on concrete in my shop but others have problems in their garages. 6) dust collection on the mm16 is fair not great, on the mm28 it`s good not great.....02 tod

Jim Becker
09-25-2006, 10:06 AM
One recommendation I'd make to you is to try and keep the PM saw for scrolling. I wish I would have done that when I bought my larger saw just for convenience.

BTW, I'm a happy MM16 owner...two generations back from the current saw which is more powerful and has 4 more inches of re-saw combined with an improved table mount/tilt system. Mine is "only" 12" resaw and 3.5hp... ;) The current one is 16" resaw and 4.8hp.