PDA

View Full Version : Turner's clothing

Jim Young
09-24-2006, 6:50 PM
It's getting to the point where I want to protect my clothing from all the chips. I've seen these covers that cover the neck. Does anyone know where to buy these? I checked the WC site but they don't have anything.

John Shuk
09-24-2006, 6:59 PM
Craft suppy has them Packard has them and the American Association of Woodturners has one.
Thay really are nice when you remember to put it on.

Mark Pruitt
09-24-2006, 8:20 PM
Lee Valley has one: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,330&p=49899,

Woodworkers' Supply also: http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=139-163&LARGEVIEW=ON

HTH.

Mark

Jim Becker
09-24-2006, 10:41 PM
I really like the smocks from Packard Woodworks...they have a very comfortable "knit" neckline and are available in both sleeved and sleeveless for seasonal comfort. And the heavier material is a bit slick and stays clean.

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-24-2006, 10:43 PM
You can also go to a uniform shop. I got a "Clean Room" jacket there that velcro's at the neck and keeps the chips from getting inside my shirt.

Bruce

Jack Savona
09-24-2006, 10:52 PM
I have found nylon jackets at the local Salvation Army thrift store that have a zipper and a collar for $3.99. Over the past few years these jackets have worked well for me to keep the shavings out of my neck and keep me warm enough during the cooler months in my cellar shop in Maine. They have knit cuffs, are washable, and are at a very affordable price that allow me to invest the difference in other 'toys' for the lathe.

Frank Fusco
09-25-2006, 9:54 AM
I wear a plain old shop smock. When the chips are really flying I use a full-face mask with plastic from a shower curtain taped to the bottom. That hangs down to my waist and keeps the chips off. Looks pretty wild but who am I trying to impress? :p

Frank Kobilsek
09-25-2006, 1:15 PM
In cooler wheather I wear a cheap windbreaker thay past out at work for some hip hip horray prize. Snaps up the front, knit cuffs and collar. Pockets are bad though they fill with chips. It hangs in the shop. When it gets colder yet I wear that over bib-overalls then I only have curls hanging from my shoe laces then I go in the house. I saw spats for turners on somebodies web site, that's just taking it too far.

Frank

Mike Jory
09-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Jim;

I have a Robert Sorby turners jacket that I'd love to sell someone. It's pictured in Mark's post from Woodworkers Supply. It's a complicated story but, I got a little hoodwinked into getting this nice looking lightweight jacket from the UK. After paying the cost and conversion from pounds, I paid to much. :o At that time I didn't realize the source from Woodworkers Supply.
It works, but it's a little snug for me. (I should stop eating the small Butter Fingers my wife puts in one of my bowls.:D ) I'll never get my cost, but if anyone is interested we can discuss via PM.
Mike