PDA

View Full Version : Measuring & cutting question

Darl Bundren
09-24-2006, 4:04 PM
Hey, all. I am trying to figure out how to cut and measure quartersawn whiteoak legs for a project I am working on. The finished dimensions will be 1 1/2" on all sides, 27" long. Unfortunately, I am working with 3/4" stock, so I am going to rip the lumber at 45 degrees and glue each leg up from 4 pieces.

My question is this: how far from the blade should I set the fence so the resulting rip is 1 1/2" across the face if I already have the one side cut at 45 degrees? Cutting on the bevel renders my fence tape useless. When I cut, I am planning on having the widest (outer) face facing up to keep as far away from the blade as possible.

Is there some formula or trick I might get to employ on future projects?

Doug Shepard
09-24-2006, 4:12 PM
Look at Mark Singers 12 ft table thread for an even better way.

Mark Singer
09-24-2006, 4:30 PM
Darl,
Whether it is a miter or a plane square rip the side next to the fence will yeild the best results since it does not depend on the dimensions of the stock. It is good practice to keep it flush on the table and flush against the fence. I use Board Buddies and a feather board for critical work

Darl Bundren
09-24-2006, 4:37 PM
Thanks to you both for the ideas and insights. Mark, the technique you showed in your wenge table thread is just what I am looking for! I had considered doubling up the stock before, but I did not want to deal with the glue line on what will be an aesthetically important component. I'll do a mock-up on some scrap with get the process and measurements figured out, and then I can use my good stock. Thanks again!