PDA

View Full Version : Lubrication needed for radial arm saw?

Louis Brandt
09-24-2006, 3:16 PM
Hello,
I have an old Craftsman radial arm saw, built in the 1960's. It's working fine, but I'm wondering whether I should ever lubricate the column (not the arm, just the column), and if so, with what type of lubricant. It cranks up and down reasonably well (easier coming down than going up).
Louis

Jeff Horton
09-24-2006, 4:26 PM
I used light oil on my DeWalt before I restored it, I put a light coat of grease when I rebuilt it. I am thinking about paraffin wax now. If you don't put something on it there is a good chance it will start to rust.

Jeffrey Makiel
09-24-2006, 6:09 PM
Given the amount of dust thrown at the column, I would recommend a dry lubricant. Some suggestions are: PFTE spray (teflon spray), silicone spray, butchers wax, or graphite powder (available at auto stores...can be messy if you rub up against it though).
-Jeff :)

glenn bradley
09-24-2006, 9:49 PM
I had a little trouble with my paraffin use once the weather turned cold. Bee's wax seems to stay softer. Just my experience. I'm also with Jeff on the dry lube. I have a teflon spray that works quite well. Got it at the BORG.

Jim Becker
09-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Given the amount of dust thrown at the column, I would recommend a dry lubricant. Some suggestions are: PFTE spray (teflon spray), silicone spray, butchers wax, or graphite powder (available at auto stores...can be messy if you rub up against it though).
-Jeff

Yes, to dry lube. Negatory on anything with silicone in the shop...it can cause you major finishing grief practically forever...

Tom Hintz
09-25-2006, 4:16 AM
I have used various kinds of spray-on dry lubricants for years, most graphite based but some did have teflon. They do a good job, don't attrract dust and in most cases do not stiffen in colder temperatures, at least not much if you don't really load up on them.
I also stay away from anything with silicone in the shop. With all the alternatives these days, using silicone is just not worth the chance.

tod evans
09-25-2006, 7:09 AM
plain `ol wax like for cast iron.....02 tod

Eddie Darby
09-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Would anyone recommend PG-2000 ? I've seen adds for it, but I have not used it myself.

Kevin Perez
09-25-2006, 5:16 PM
I'd second the recommendation for teflon dry lube for the column. I use it on my 1956 DeWalt MBF and have had no dust sticking issues.