PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
10-13-2003, 9:06 AM
Well....another weekend has come and gone. My weekend was fairly good but lightly scattered with shop time.

I did work on the CD cabinet some more and I have finally worked out some of the kinks and problem areas. I still have to get the diamond inlay stuff worked out so hopefully the books I have coming in this week will help me get that figured out.

So what did YOU get done this weekend. Any shop time? Any projects you finally started or finished?

Best of weeks........

Mike Evertsen
10-13-2003, 9:37 AM
moved wood storage out to the shed,,it might be a pain when it's raining or snow and ice to carry wood across the driveway,,but I needed more space,,,
also started putting in the drawers in my drill press cabinet but it's not going good they where tight or loose on the slides will go back this morning and try again,,,

Jim Becker
10-13-2003, 9:59 AM
No real "woodworking" this weekend, but some interesting things related to it appeared from time to time.

Saturday, we traveled north to my home town (Honesdale, PA) to assist my brother in cleaning out a storage shed on the property that my parents just sold. Due to other "unexpected" family obligations, he could only work for a couple of hours which left us some time to kill before joining one of my high school friends and her husband for dinner. Some of that time was spend at the Wayne County Historical Society's museum which I hadn't visited since I was a young boy many years ago. Since then, they have consolodated a lot of things into one building instead of having the scattered all over town. This is a great place to hang out from a historical perspective, learning about the gravity railroad and D&H Canal operations from many years ago and viewing the replica of the first steam locomotive to run in the US...but there were several surprises that were interesting for anyone interested in woodworking.

The first was an old treadle-powered jig saw, much like today's scroll saws with a wider blade. The second was the workmanship in the reconstructed gravity railroad passenger car that serves as a video theater. The woodworking was wonderful with a lot of carving details and some very nice sliding shutters inside the windows. The ceiling was painted leather. The third surprise was a 1772 tall clock in another part of the museum that was absolutely beautiful. It wasn't really ornate, but had some very fine details...all done by hand, obviously. Some of the joinery was quite interesting, too, in the way that corners were handled. If you ever happen to be in the area, the three bucks admission is worth it.

That evening, we joined our friends at their home before heading off for a meal. They live deep in the woods in an area that teems with wildlife and beauty. Sadly, the latter is being a little shattered by some clearing an logging going on on the next lot down the dirt road...the new owners apparently sold a lot of the mature oak to a lumber firm from NY to help finance the building of their new home. The loggers are really making a mess. Interestingly enough, my friend's fater, a retired medical doctor, bought a Woodmiser with some his friends, and they are selectively...and responsibly...taking trees off several hundred acres of family land. Most of the ash in her home came from that property and a number of fine furniture pieces of cherry were made by her dad from trees off their land. I put my "order" in... :D

Sunday was a slow day due to getting home very late the night before, but did involve the last remaining trim work in the pantry and a few other details required before the final paint goes on. We also had an electrician out to check on a problem with "Circuit #13"...looks like we have an open neutral somewhere in an inaccessible place, so a new circuit will have to be installed. Rats! A simple exorcism didn't do the trick... :mad: I did get the glass-front bookcase scribed to the stone so I can hopefully finish that up next weekend and move on to some new projects and a much needed thorough shop cleaning.

Bob Lasley
10-13-2003, 11:17 AM
Good morning Dennis,

My hope for mucho shop time did not materialize. I did get a little work done on finishing some boxes, but family doin's kept me occupied. Sunday I helped my son rework his fireplace to accept an airtight insert and new stainless flue pipe. Thankfully, he had three of his young friends to help him move 400 lbs worth of insert from his truck into the fireplace while I supervised. :cool:

Of course, Saturday afternoon I HAD to watch the Sooners whup the Longhorns! :D

Have a good week all,
Bob

Richard Allen
10-13-2003, 1:27 PM
My wife left me on Friday. Took my daughter with her too.

Friday night was quiet and I worked on a stand for some platters I had made. I mucked up the project. I guess my mind was someplace else.

Saturday I went to a woodturners meeting and saw Jimmy Clews. What a great demo. It was nearly 4 PM by the time I got home. I noticed that Oklahoma was playing football and I watched a little of that. I have a new chainsaw (Husky372XP) and I wanted to try it out on some Red Oak I have (a 80 year old red oak crashed down on my house during Isabel). I found out that sawing bowl blanks is tough work. I also found out that I am way out of shape for such activities.

http://members.cox.net/gyniahouse/RedOakBlanks.jpg

By the time I got the four blanks done and located in the shop the Sooners were ahead 44 to 13. I didn't realsize I had been out THAT long. Turns out I wasn't gone that long, it was the middle of the third quarter.

Sunday I decided to make those 4 blanks round.

19x9
19x6
18x8
18x7

Those chunks of wood were HEAVY and it was all I could do to get the beasts mounted on the lathe. The one in the picture is the 18x18x8. At that point I already had done the 19x19x9 and you can see in the back the other two blanks.

I managed to get three done around the Redskins losing to the Bucks.

My wife and daughter are to return today. I am hopeing to make the fourth one round, core out the blanks and get some wax on them.

Thanks

Jim Becker
10-13-2003, 1:35 PM
Those chunks of wood were HEAVY and it was all I could do to get the beasts mounted on the lathe.

Time to buy one of those engine hoists from HFT, Richard!

Richard Allen
10-13-2003, 5:35 PM
Time to buy one of those engine hoists from HFT, Richard!

I have considered a hoist, but I still have the issue of getting the chunk of wood to the house. I am thinking that these will be a onetime thing. There are so many things I WANT to turn. Providing that no more trees land on my house...

I do have one log from the tree out back that I saved. I wonder how I am going to move a 30" blank.

Thanks

Scott Coffelt
10-13-2003, 6:22 PM
Just a little time in the shop, carried lumber in for the next project. Did get to go buy the lumber so I guess I can call it wood working. I posted a thread on this, but the store I frequent was hit by an arson.

Finally, had a little time with my soon to be 4 year old. He and I assembled this footstool. I let him run the sander on the top by himself and also let him pull the trigger on the cordless. His first action with power tools. He tried to hit the nails with the hammer, but I would just say he made it weathered looking. Soon he'll be doing more.

Bob Lasley
10-13-2003, 10:45 PM
Scott,

Is that a new form of dust mask your son is demonstrating? ;)

Looks like he is well on his way to being a first rate woodworker.

Bob

Scott Coffelt
10-14-2003, 11:26 AM
the problem with this version is you only got one hand to do the work and you have to make sure you know where your hands have been.

He loves daddy's shop. Eventually, I'll have to put a lock on the door to make sure he stays out when I am not around. Right now he doesn't go near it when I am not in there.

I think soon I will build him a small work bench so he has a place of his own to work (read between the lines, out of my way when I am working).

Jack Diemer
10-14-2003, 11:32 AM
I thought that thing you were making was a workbench.

Ken Salisbury
10-14-2003, 11:52 AM
I finally got around to cleaning out and reorganizing a corner in the shop for the permanent location of my newly aquired (last month) Jet 1642VS lathe.

After cleaning out the space I called my Grandson and asked him to come over with his Dad (SIL) and move the monster into the space. He showed up alone and asked me where I wanted it. I told him I wanted it "in that corner".

It sure is nice to have a GS that can bench press over 300lbs. He just grabbed that monster and manhandled it right where I wanted it :D.

Now I have to install a couple of 4' florescent fixtures above it and a shelf/holder for my lathe tools and I will be all set.

The remainder of the weekend I watched football and baseball games.

IS THIS A GREAT COUNTRY OR WHAT ? ?

Kevin Post
10-14-2003, 3:06 PM
I didn't do much woodworking either. It's football season....

Me and the crew took part in our annual Badger/Packer weekend. About a dozen of us travelled from La Crosse to Madison and watched the Badgers put an end to Ohio State's winning streak. Afterwards, we consumed a tremdous amount of alcohol and there was much rejoicing... http://www.rockyroad.org/party.gif

Then, we got up bright and early and drove to Green Bay for the game. Although the Packers lost, it was a great game. I'm in the process of writing a song about it... I Left My Voice at Lambeau because I screamed my head off. However, after Kansas City scored the winning touchdown in overtime, the stadium got so quiet you could've heard a fish fart. Nevertheless, we consumed a tremdous amount of alcohol and there was much rejoicing... http://www.rockyroad.org/party.gif

I'm getting too old for this...

-Kevin

Doug Littlejohn
10-14-2003, 3:44 PM
Well, no WW. Spent the weekend up in Sacramento with some other couples and stayed at a marvelous B&B. A great time was had by all, especially in the area of dinning.

I did get to do a little more work on getting going on the extension I'm making to the shop-to-be building. THis extension will hold all of the $%#t that is currently inside and must come out for me to turn it into my shop.

Mike Laing
10-14-2003, 4:55 PM
Hello All,

I took delivery of my phaseconverter and I am waiting for an electrician to hook it up and wire the shop. My felder has arrived in Manitoba so as soon as I get power I can finally take delivery. If you guys are interested I will post pics of the machine once it is set-up and ready to go.

Mike

Scott Coffelt
10-14-2003, 6:15 PM
It was a hell of a game, not sure KC really deserved winning it but we'll take the win. BTW your kicker should get the special teams player of the week honor as he is the only person in five weeks to stop Dante Hall from another touchdown.

And, thanks to UW for finally beating OSU as I think they have been too damn lucky and overrated.

Kevin Post
10-15-2003, 9:46 AM
It was a hell of a game, not sure KC really deserved winning it but we'll take the win.

Going in, I didn't really expect the Packers to win against KC on Sunday. The defense has been really bad; look at what the Vikings did against them. They completely blew it against Arizona http://www.rockyroad.org/rolleyes.gif. The offense seems to be clicking but turnovers continue to be a HUGE problem for Favre and Green. At the end of the season, we'll end up with only a so-so year.

After the game, we chatted with a few Chiefs fans who commented how great it was to come to Green Bay. They said they thought the Green Bay fans were the best in the NFL. No trash talking or harrassing before or after the game. They were amazed that we invited them to join us for beer and brats in the parking lot even after the Packers lost. As I told them, I'll tell you, congrats on a good win for the Chiefs. They deserved it...

-Kevin

Scott Coffelt
10-15-2003, 4:47 PM
It is amazing, I have heard that from many people who went to the game and then talked about it on sports talk radio. We are blessed to have Lynn Dickey as a weekly guest on the show I listen too. He speaks highly of the team, fans, and local area. I heard there were even bars that opened early so Chiefs fans could get together. Lynn actually went to school in my parents home town.

As far as winning the game, I thought for sure that GB would win. It is such a tough place to play and Farve is in my opinion one of the most lethal QB's in the league when he is on, when he is not they can be real ugly.

If you ever get a chance to catch a game in KC the experience will be close, but from what I hear GB may be a little better. I will tell you there is no louder stadium then KC when its rocking. Now, when the raiders or broncos are in town, that's a whole different story. I wouldn't bring my mom, let alone a child. It can get down right nasty. When its most other teams, the fans are real supportive.

Good Luck this week. I need Donald Driver to start being a man and score.