PDA

View Full Version : Family workshop in Northern Maine

Rick Cabot
09-24-2006, 9:20 AM
I am a new member to the forum. I have found members posts to be very informative and insightful. Personally, some of the most enjoyable posts are of members new shops because I have been in the process of building my own dream shop....and I have gleened helpful tips. Therefore, I thought I would pass along our most recently completed project here in rural, rural, rural Maine. My wife, our three children and I designed and constructed (with the exception of the cement floor and radiant heat) our dream shop in a little under a year. This was a great learning experience for us all and especially our children (ages 23, 22, and 17) regarding patience, responsiblity and diligence.

The footprint of the main shop is 40 X 30 feet. In addition, the baker side extension measures 40 X 10 feet divided into three separate rooms; the dust collection/compressor room, full spray paint booth and prep area, and electrical and HVAC (control room). All plumbing, electrical and dust collection is housed above the main shop ceiling in a easily accessible, WELL LIT crawl space. Dust collection is maintained with a 5 hp Oneida Pro system and twin JDS 750 air filters which are remotely controlled. Our shop sits on a 8 inch slab which houses the radiant heat system. All the walls are sheathed in Pine which my son and I harvested off our land and milled.

I also included pictures (in the background) of our previous project a 42 X 72 foot hand hewn queen post and beam (1830 reproduction) barn; no nails just hickory pegs. There are 6 bents with 10 X 12 supporting queen posts that are 42 feet long hemlock timbers. All the lumber was harvested by us on our own property or within a 5 mile radius and was cut on a circa 1930 radial saw. The cuppola measures 16 X16 feet and has a copper shingle roof. The roof ridge is 38 feet high and it is 58 feet to the top of the weathervane. We consider this the ultimate woodworking project and a testiment to traditional Maine craftsmenship. If anyone is interested in seeing more detailed photos of the construction of this barn - let me know and I will post them.

Please enjoy and feel free to comment. My hope is that this posting will be helpful to others who are in the process of planning and constructing a new shop or barn. If you ever find yourself in rural northern Maine please stop by and visit.

Regards, Rick Cabot

Rick Cabot
09-24-2006, 9:24 AM
here are the rest of the photos.

Richard Wolf
09-24-2006, 9:30 AM
Beautiful stuff. Very nice work.If you don't mind, how do you make a living in such a rural area? Most of us dream about moving to the middle of nowhere, but can't afford it!

Richard

Roger Everett
09-24-2006, 9:36 AM
So Rick, could you use another son? That is a fantastic shop, both inside and out. The barn is also a fine looking structure. You've been burning the candle late to get this all up. I congradulate you on your work. Now, take some time off to make some WW sawdust.
Roger

Frank Pellow
09-24-2006, 9:45 AM
That's a magnificent looking shop with LOTs of room for projects Rick. The first thing I noticed was the pine walls. To have cut the pine and milled it yourselves must be a source of pride.

I definately would be interested in seeing photos of the barn construction.

You live in a great part of the world. Last June my wife and I got quite close to where you live, the is Skewhegan, which I see from the map is just a short distance down 150 from Dover-Foxcroft.

Dave Fernelius
09-24-2006, 9:46 AM
Hello, Rick
Great shop!!!
I would really enjoy seeing more photos of your shop. Especially ones during construction.
Thanks for sharing.
Dave

Frank Pellow
09-24-2006, 9:47 AM
I really like the barn colour and I don't think that I have ever seen anything quite like it. Is it traditional?

Frank Pellow
09-24-2006, 9:50 AM
In addition, the baker side extension measures 40 X 10 feet divided into three separate rooms; the dust collection/compressor room, full spray paint booth and prep area, and electrical and HVAC (control room).

What is a baker side extension and how did it come by that name?

Rick Cabot
09-24-2006, 9:56 AM
Hi Richard - thanks for the kind words...and I appreciate your candid question. I was recruited from my university surgical practice in New York over 20 years ago to start a new surgical program here in northern Maine. My wife and I thought that it would only be a two year stint...but 20 years later and three children later...we're still here! This is the only place on earth that we would want to live. Although we are still back in the 60's in many aspects of life - this is "the way life should be". Up until about 3 years ago I was working full time (100 hour a week) because of the scarcity of surgeons north of Bangor. Fortunately, now I am beginning to slow down...and work (as a surgeon) part time. I will never be able to fully retire...since local folks will always depend on me to be there for them. Most surgeons don't want to move to where I live because of the lower financial rewards, long hours and/or it's just too damn cold. So....I'm sure with your woodworking ability I could have you trained to do surgery in less then a month...interested?

Rick Cabot

Rick Cabot
09-24-2006, 9:59 AM
Hi Frank - it's interesting that the color when photographed looks somewhat different then in real life..... with that said... the barn and the workshop are painted in CABOT BARN RED - "Factory Finish" which is latex paint with a teflon component - the primer is oil base CABOT PROBLEM SOLVER QUICK DRY OIL PRIMER.

Rick

Ken Whitaker
09-24-2006, 10:00 AM
That is a great shop, please post more pictures, would like to see your dust collection system and air compressor set-up. also pictures of the saw mill you used to mill the lumber.

Ken

Rick Cabot
09-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Hi Frank....actually I was using local lingo. The Baker side is really a Baker Shed which refers to the way the secondary roof comes off the main building and creates a separate space. The pitch, to allow for 12 foot walls in the main room and a 10/12 main roof pitch, is 5.5/12.
Rick

Lincoln Myers
09-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Thanks for posting Rick. Nice shop and barn you got there. Keep the pictures coming.

-Linc

tod evans
09-24-2006, 10:13 AM
welcome rick! very nice digs and i can relate to stuck in the 60`s:) i`m still there and won`t ever grow up.....hope ya` stick around...tod

Jim Becker
09-24-2006, 10:25 AM
Welcome aboard, Rick!! Very nice shop...thanks for sharing it! And I love the pine on the walls...great look. Comfortable. The exterior has an outstanding "New England" look to it, too. Bravo!
---

You will notice I merged your two threads. You do not have to create a new thread to post additional pictures. While the limit is 5 per POST, you can reply to your own thread with as many posts as necessary to upload your pictures.

Jim Dunn
09-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Welcome Rick. I'd like to operate as I am sometimes called an "operator". Don't know if that's a good thing though? Real nice shop. Is that your "CAT" in the drive?

Andy Hoyt
09-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Welcome Rick. Glad to see another Mainer here on the forum. That you're a timberframing afficianado just sweetens it.

Corey Hallagan
09-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Welcome Rick. You have a beautiful shop!

corey

Don Baer
09-24-2006, 11:29 AM
Welcome Rick and I'm envious of your setup. my Father In Law was a surgen so I can relate to your statement about never retiring. He wouldn't have either if his health had allowed him to continue to work. I to would love to see the construction pics. Watch out for that Hoyt guy he's gonna bug you to drink moxie.

Kevin Blunt
09-24-2006, 11:37 AM
I can only dream of that. Beautiful shop. Look at all that space.

Kevin

Jeffrey Makiel
09-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Wow!

That sure is one nice shop. Plenty of room, no stairs, nice windows, good lighting, great view, and a nice assortment of quality machines.

It does appear that Fall is well on its way though. But with a woodshop like that, who cares.

I lived in the New York City area (in northern NJ) my whole life. It seems that I'm the one that is missing something.

Enjoy!...Jeff :)

Tyler Howell
09-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Welcome Rick.
Picture Police Seal of Approval.:cool:
You didn't wade into the creek, You're doing the American Crawl

Art Mulder
09-24-2006, 1:25 PM
All plumbing, electrical and dust collection is housed above the main shop ceiling in a easily accessible, WELL LIT crawl space.

Welcome, Rick! I've only been hear about a year myself, but it is the niced WW'ing forum on the internet that I've found! You'll enjoy it.

I've never heard an attic referred to as a "crawl space" before, though. Is it really that tight? Looks pretty tall from the outside.

All the walls are sheathed in Pine which my son and I harvested off our land and milled.

So where is your lumber stash?! I knew there was something missing from the picture. Did you air dry all that stock for the building?

... hand hewn queen post and beam (1830 reproduction) barn; no nails just hickory pegs. There are 6 bents with 10 X 12 supporting queen posts that are 42 feet long hemlock timbers. All the lumber was harvested by us on our own property ... If anyone is interested in seeing more detailed photos of the construction of this barn - let me know and I will post them.

Of course we are interested in more photos! I'd like to see a closeup of a pegged joint. Did you take a class on this?

Tell us more about your property. How large, what kinds of trees? So far you've mentioned harvesting Hickory, Hemlock, and Pine.

Best,
...art

Ian Barley
09-24-2006, 2:27 PM
Rick

A beautiful shop. You and your family should be very proud. I presume that you had the room prepped to extract somebodies gall bladder because it sure is way to clean to be a wood work shop:)

glenn bradley
09-24-2006, 3:34 PM
Hi Rick,

Beautiful shop and you've already given my some ammo to make a decision I've been struggling with. The Bosch TS at an angle behind your main TS looks like a good solution for me as to what to do with Grandpa's old but well built TS.

Thanks and welcome to the Creek!

Reg Mitchell
09-24-2006, 3:42 PM
Hi Rick
Very nice shop indeed. I love the walls inside. It all looks as organized as a operating room should. Welcome to the Creek, there are very nice and helpful ppl here.
I don't get here as much as I use to and I can relate to the 100 hrs a week as I work at least 60 hrs a week now. But soon hope to retire from that to a 40 hr week :)
Reg

Jake Helmboldt
09-24-2006, 3:49 PM
Rick, that jointer looks lonely and dwarfed by that huge space. You really ought to consider a bigger one. I can give that "little" one a new home in a more appropriate cramped space.

I'll be in Rockport in November, I'll swing by and take that poor orphan.:D

Beautiful, all the way around. You have me longing for home.

Jake

randy street
09-24-2006, 4:30 PM
the barn and the workshop are painted in CABOT BARN RED - "Factory Finish" which is latex paint with a teflon component - the primer is oil base CABOT PROBLEM SOLVER QUICK DRY OIL PRIMER.

Rick,

I notice you have the same last name as the stain, any relationship? I do like the color.

Regards,

Randy

Glenn Clabo
09-24-2006, 4:56 PM
Very nice Rick...nice shop...nice intro...just nice...favorite state...

I'll only mention this once...be careful of a certain Mainiac named Hoyt. His influence in the spinny world is legend.

Tom Hamilton
09-24-2006, 6:57 PM
Welcome Rick, it is a pleasure to have you here and to view you fabulous set up. Thanks for sharing it with us.

And to your other question, yes, I suspect that most of us would enjoy viewing your barn building pictorial. There are two "shop construction" threads current in the Creek and another would be most welcome.

All the Best, Tom, in Houston, wondering how you raise 42 foot 10x12 beams.

Ben Grunow
09-24-2006, 9:00 PM
Boy- I have taken on several large projects in my limited years but nothing on the scale of what you have accomplished. Congratulations on the work and the family that allowed it all to happen. I am impressed with the craftsmanship and dedication that you all have displayed and hope some day to be in your neck of the woods to check it out firsthand.

Nicely done.

Steve Clardy
09-24-2006, 10:11 PM
Great looking shop

Lincoln Myers
09-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Wow Rick, you must be more careful then most when it comes to keeping your hands clear of the blade.

Though having said that, I guess most people would have a hard time doing their 'day job' with less than a full set of digits.

-Linc

Norman Hitt
09-25-2006, 12:13 AM
A hearty WELCOME from Tx, Rick. Your place is sure a Beauty, both the Shop AND Barn. I too would enjoy more pictures of both, and especially the barn structure. Although I've seen a lot on my travels around the world, we don't see much of that type framing down here, and I do have a real appreciation for it.

Rennie Heuer
09-25-2006, 9:18 AM
Rick,

When some people say "dream shop" you have to wonder what they're using to induce slumber. Not so in your case. Dorothy's 'Oz' was no grander. Perhaps a knock on the head while building the barn inspired you?

So long as I'm in a movie quoting mode, you have also seemed to have entered the final frontier. Working is such a large space, with the ability to swing lumber from machine to machine without the fear of knocking something off a wall, dislocating a dust collection hose, or risk raining glass shards from a too-low florescent tube must be wonderful.

I love the pine walls.

Where is the workbench? Do you have plans for adding any storage cabinets on those beautiful walls? I like the idea of hanging the DC unit from chains. Do you find this makes any difference in the sound level? Is less or more sound transmitted though the framing when hung as opposed to using a bracket?

Please post more pictures so the rest of us can dream as well.

John Lucas
09-25-2006, 9:53 AM
Rick,
Just one more person thanking you for such a great post(s). I don't think you could train me to be a surgeon in just one month...unless I can dovetail bone breaks.
You are fortunate to have such wide open spaces and good air. What woodworking projects are on your to do list.

Karl Laustrup
09-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Rick, welcome to the "Creek".

Your shop is a thing of beauty and one the majority of us, I believe, wish we had the wherewithall to accomplish. It is quite evident much planning and thought went into the design and construction.

Anytime you want to post more pix, please post all you want. I know I for one won't become tired of seeing such a fantastic setup. Also, more of your entire property [house, barn etc.].

Karl, sitting in Wisconsin green with envy.

Mike Spanbauer
09-25-2006, 2:58 PM
wow... I can't say much more really...

<wishing I had gone to school for such a profession that I could afford the luxury of working in the sticks>

Beautiful shop, scenery, heck mental picture. Masterfully well done and frankly I envision something with my 2 sons someday similar to what you've accomplished.

Cheers,

Mike

Jerry Olexa
09-25-2006, 6:04 PM
VVVerrrry NICE .. Love your shop and very New England ish. Enjoy your treasure...Enviously,

lou sansone
09-26-2006, 6:16 AM
hi rick
excellent shop. my shop is also a post and beam, made with local trees that I and my son harvested as well. I pattern mine after 17th century English side door barns. I have always said that if you're a ww and want the ultimate furniture project, then build a post and beam barn.

looking great

do you have your own band mill and what type of local lumber have you come across up there in Maine?

How about a few photos of some of your smaller furniture :)

Lou

Marty Walsh
09-26-2006, 6:20 AM
Rick,

Welcome to the creek. Congratulations on a gorgeous shop...well done indeed!

(I knew there had to be benefits to having kids. If I had any, they could have been helping me build my shop so I didn't have to go it alone! Shucks, I wish I had thought of that years ago...:rolleyes: )

With the fine craftsmanship you've shown in your construction of the shop, I can't wait to see some of the products that come from it.

- Marty -

Kelly C. Hanna
09-26-2006, 9:06 AM
Wow, how cool is that?!?!? I love the pine walls as well. I am a big fan of wood on the walls of a wood shop. Seems to fit much better than any other wall covering.

I see you planned the shop with plenty of room around every tool...very nicely done!!

Rich Konopka
09-26-2006, 6:34 PM
Rick,

Thanks for sharing your family project. To find the time where the whole family can come together and build your dream workshop is fabulous. The rewards from this project will always be with you. Everytime you walk into the shop you will think of that time your family spent together.

Best Regards,

Michael Pfau
09-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Welcome Rick! Outstanding shop. What you have is what I want! I am sure you will have a life time of enjoyment with it..

Rick Cabot
09-27-2006, 9:38 PM
No relationship.....

John Petsche
11-02-2011, 1:35 PM
Great workshop, enjoy the pics. Thanks.

Neil Brooks
11-02-2011, 2:03 PM
Never saw this.

Wow !!

What's all that, between your machines ? Space ?? What a concept !

Great shop. Thanks for sharing :)

Jeff Monson
11-02-2011, 3:57 PM
It is a great looking shop, just noticed its a 2006 thread.

Joe Bradshaw
11-02-2011, 4:04 PM
Nice looking shop. It needs more sawdust spread around.

Jeffrey Makiel
11-03-2011, 9:33 AM
This thread is over 5 years old. I'd love to see an update if possible.
Jeff :)