PDA

View Full Version : Not my own woodworking...but I think it's nice

Vaughn McMillan
09-24-2006, 3:22 AM
A year or two ago, LOML fell in love with a glass-topped coffee table made with carved dolphins supporting the top. Unfortunately, the table was on eBay, and on the other end of the country from us (and the seller was not shipping it).

This afternoon at the LA County Fair, she was reminiscing about the "dolphin table", and within a minute or two, we happened upon this:

While it's more of an occasional table and not a coffee table, it ended up coming home with us. It's carved out of a single piece of what was billed as mahogany, and I'm guessing the artist is some guy in Indonesia (based on the other items the seller was offering). The glass top is simply resting on the beaks of the lower two dolphins and a slot cut into the "wave". As much as I'd like to use my shop to add to our household furniture, this is one piece I seriously doubt I could make for us.

She's very happy with it, and when she's happy, I'm happy. ;)

Dennis Peacock
09-24-2006, 7:38 AM
Congrats Vaughn.....It's always good to find the LOYL something that's been on the "wanted" list for a while. Congrats to you both. Very pretty table and I do like the woodwork that went into that table.

Frank Fusco
09-24-2006, 8:18 AM
Somebody put a lot of work into that. Lovely in the right setting.

tod evans
09-24-2006, 10:21 AM
pretty cool vaughn.

Jim Becker
09-24-2006, 10:48 AM
There's some really nice craftsmanship there, Vaughn! 'Glad the LOYL and you were able to score it given the "history of the desire"!!

Dave Ray
09-24-2006, 1:23 PM
Vaughn, you and your wife have good taste in art, especially woodworking art. Very nice table.... great gloat

Vaughn McMillan
09-24-2006, 8:30 PM
Thanks for the nice comments, all.

Somebody put a lot of work into that. Lovely in the right setting. That's for sure. It's not the kind of piece you can drop into any living room and have it blend in. As luck would have it, our living room decor is "Hand-Me-Down Deluxe", with a bit of everything, so the dolphin table seems to work in that setting.