PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy or is this just too much for a pc of wood?

Doug Shepard
09-23-2006, 9:26 PM
Occasionally I'll search through the figured redwood on eBay to see if I can pick up a nice piece for a decent price. I started watching this one the first day it got listed. It was pretty pricey already at $99 but had an awesome figure. Well the bidding on this bad boy just ended at a whopping $375 - plus $27 for S&H using my location. So figure $402.
The piece is 24 1/2 x 16 1/4 x 2 1/2". That works out to about 6.9 BF - for $58.26 per BF.

Per Swenson
09-23-2006, 9:41 PM
No sir,

You are not crazy.

Just imagine if it had a grain pattern of the Maddona or something.

Per

scott spencer
09-23-2006, 9:45 PM
$58.26 per BF.... and it grows on trees! :eek:

Was a pretty chunk o lumber though....

Steve Clardy
09-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Too rich for my blood!!

Mark Singer
09-24-2006, 12:14 AM
No sir,

You are not crazy.

Just imagine if it had a grain pattern of the Maddona or something.

Per
Another drink and I can start to see her....and there Sean Penn,,,,:rolleyes:

Dick Strauss
09-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Doug,
Maybe there was some shill bidding going on or someone really had to have that piece. Either way, it is too rich for my blood as well.

You are definitely not crazy, but the high bidder is!

Dick

Ed Blough
09-24-2006, 1:04 AM
That is one of things that can happen in at an auction a bidding frenzy. I have seen things going for many times what you can buy them for at any store.

Personally I love auction but only as a bemused spectator. I never expect to buy anything. I may bid but if someone over bids me they got it cause I'm not crazy enough to let them push the price on me.
Ed

Robert E Lee
09-24-2006, 1:31 AM
What would you have if it were sliced into veneer? Not with a saw.
Bob

No I didn't buy it.

Tom Sontag
09-24-2006, 1:40 AM
Hold on a second here folks. Ebony and pink ivory and several other species go for that kind of $/bf pricing daily. Figured bubinga of this quality is also top drawer stuff and, used properly, would send a project well into wow-land. Certainly it is too much for someone who does not need it or have the cash. But the best is never intended for them anyway, sorry. Scarce resources allocated by price has worked very well for a long time.

I am happy for the seller. I am happy for the buyer. Neither were coerced and both voluntarily traded something they had for something they wanted more. I love the free market.

Mike Henderson
09-24-2006, 1:54 AM
I wonder why this wasn't sold to a veneer house and sliced. Seems like you could do a lot more with it as veneer than as a slab.

I can imagine a table top with a four way match of this as veneer.

But maybe it's too small for a veneer place to deal with.

Mike

Mike Wenzloff
09-24-2006, 2:11 AM
I have a piece twice as long, but a little shy of the width and the same thickness I have been sitting on. I probably paid a little north of $300 2, maybe 3 years ago.

And the figure on mine isn't quite that nice. Price and value are relative, but I think at the time what I paid was definietly worth the cost.

Take care, Mike

David Rose
09-24-2006, 3:41 AM
It's an absolutely beautiful piece of wood! Why not?

David, who digs through the "shorts" at my mill for $1.50/bf walnut :D

Mike Cutler
09-24-2006, 6:55 AM
Not overpriced at all.

If that piece of material has fallen into the right hands, with the right machines. It will one day be worth considerably more than the purchase price as a bookmatched table top. That one piece could easily be resawn into veneers and turned into a fairly good sized tabletop. At 24"x16", and 2 1/2" thick. A fair size of square footage of veneer can be made from that single slab.

Someone sold it, and someone bought it. It's a beautiful piece of wood.

My .02 fwiw, but then I've bought wood by the ounce.:eek: :D ;)

Doug Shepard
09-24-2006, 8:09 AM
I forgot to mention that the buyer (as well as several of the other high bidders) had a user name that suggests he is a guitar maker. So this may be destined to turn into a $5K custom made guitar. The same seller had another piece pretty similar (though maybe not quite as nice) last week and IIRC it went for around $250. The winner might also have been an instrument maker. My own thoughts for it, had I been able to buy it for much less, were to slice it into veneer. I know ebony often goes for around $80 BF, but it seems like there's an awful lot of bidding frenzy adding to the costs on eB that wouldn't be reflected in the price if you were to pick up the same piece at a good hardwood supplier. I was a bit shocked at the final price so thought I'd share.

Kevin Blunt
09-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Way too much for me but boy is that ever beautiful!

Could you just imagine making a wrong cut on a piece like that!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Kevin

donnie wood
09-24-2006, 12:47 PM
who says money don't grow on trees.:)