PDA

View Full Version : Old Vise ID?

Wes Bischel
09-23-2006, 12:38 PM
I'm hoping someone may know a bit about this vise. I picked it up on ebay the other week - been looking for a vise for a while. I was going to break down and buy a new one when this popped up. I thought the mechanism was kinda cool - a rack instead of the acme screw. It clamps with about 1/4 - 1/2 turn. Move the handle vertical and the jaw slides freely in and out. I'm sure it doesn't have the squishing capacity of a regular screw type vise, but I have machinist's vises for that.;)
Any ideas on the maker and the history?

Thanks, Wes

Jim O'Dell
09-23-2006, 1:40 PM
Wes, that is neat!! Are you going to clean the years of pait off of it and refiniish? or use as is?? I'd say you got a keeper there, no matter what the brand. (but that would be nice to know) Jim.

Wes Bischel
09-23-2006, 5:15 PM
Jim,
Actually there is no paint on it! It looks silver in the pictures, but it is actually bare cast iron with some oil on it. I'm not sure if it was stripped, or never had a finish. There is no sign of any finish anywhere on it.

I did find a patent that works in a similar fashion from 1907, but it's not the same and it is suspected that it was never produced.

I'm glad someone else gets a kick out of these things - it is afterall just a vise.;):D

Wes

Alan Turner
09-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Wes,
I have seen a number of these over the years on old benches at antique shows/sales/flea markets, but can't provide any detail on them for you. The ones I have seen seemed a bit light weight but they all worked well.

Wes Bischel
09-24-2006, 1:36 PM
Thanks Alan.

Yeah, I would agree on light weight duty - for it's size, it is a heavy sucker though!:D

Wes