PDA

View Full Version : Simple (yeah, right) candlesticks

Gary DeWitt
09-23-2006, 4:10 AM
I turned this set of candlesticks, in the Rude Osnolik style of the 50s and 60s, mainly because I just love the look. I happen to be a fan of the Danish Modern style. So I thought, this will be a snap. Maybe an hour for all 3, eh? Not so. The hardest part was getting the transition area from top to bottom consistent from one to the other. Never mind the diameter there. Actually, I STILL didn't quite make it, the one on the right is slightly more angular than the other two. These are drilled first top and bottom, same dia hole but deeper on the bottom. A metal insert from craft supplies lines the top. The bottom is filled with steel balls and epoxy to lower the center of gravity and make them less tippy. The shot is expensive and I am looking for another material for weight. So far, I've thought of using pennies, they're actually cheap, ounce for ounce.
The pic is taken with my canon rebel xt using a "tent" made up of white foam core panels with 4 100 watt fixtures pointing up and away from the subject. Makes for very even lighting. Material is crushed velvet remnant from fabric store. Comments apreciated.

Vaughn McMillan
09-23-2006, 7:20 AM
Nice candlesticks, and nice photos, Gary. What size of shot are you using in the bases? Is it shotgun size, or bigger (like slingshot size)? It's been a long time since I bought any, but I'd think shotgun shot from a reloading supplier would be pretty inexpensive, but you'd need to buy it locally or the shipping would beat you up. Of course, finding a reloading shop in Burbank is about like finding knife shop...can't be done as far as I know. ;) I don't claim to know Burbank all that well, but the only place I know to buy ammunition of any kind is the indoor shooting range on Victory across from Costco. (And I doubt they'd have any shotgun stuff.) Pennies would be pretty cost effective, though.

Frank Fusco
09-23-2006, 10:54 AM
I think you are too fussy about the "angular" thing. They look great to me. I wish I had an eye for form on something like that. As for the shot, as said, a gunshop can sell you lead shot. But, I don't think you would need a lot of weight down there. How about plain sand?

Bernie Weishapl
09-23-2006, 11:11 AM
Gary those are mighty fine looking candle holders. If you hadn't said anything I probably wouldn't have picked up the angular piece on the right. Nice form and finish. Great job.

Corey Hallagan
09-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Nice work Gary, I like those.

corey

George Conklin
09-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Those look great, Gary. Thanks for the explanation on the photo booth. The candlesticks look like they're not touching the velvet.

Robert Mickley
09-23-2006, 7:32 PM
I did a couple sets of those when I first started turning. Drove me up the wall.

Yours are beutiful. I used lead shotgun shot. it was pretty cheap

Wes Bischel
09-23-2006, 8:18 PM
Gary,
The candle sticks look great. It is amazing how hard a simple form can be to make "look right".

Wes

Dennis Peacock
09-23-2006, 8:26 PM
Gary,

Those are very nice. What about getting lead shot for a shotgun and use that. Would that be any cheaper?

Jim Becker
09-23-2006, 10:10 PM
Gary, these are very nice and have the Osnolik feel without being exact copies. I've also always appreciated this form!

Gary DeWitt
09-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Thanks, guys. I used slingshot 3/8 shot because I had bought some awhile ago in a fit of rage over the damned squirrels who were eating up my garden. This was before I thought about all the really big windows there are here in my towhouse complex... I think sand sounded cheapest, might work quite well. I thought about the range over by costco, they don't carry shotgun supplies. Well, on to Christmas items, it's just around the corner! Again!

Richard Madison
09-23-2006, 11:51 PM
Gary,
Agree that you missed it a bit, but still very pretty. Mine missed it too. It is amazing that some very subtle changes in shape can make so much difference in the visual impact of a piece.
Would like to see more light at the bottom of the photos, so the bases of the pieces are visible.
Consider lead fishing weights for extra weight. Little or big ones, cheap, readily available, easy to remelt into desired shape with a propane torch. Just do not inhale the fumes while melting them.
Have an old .410 that only takes 2" shells (which I can't find anymore) that was good for squirrels at short range. Could shoot one and duck back into the house without arrousing the neighbors.

Vaughn McMillan
09-24-2006, 3:41 AM
Gary,

Those are very nice. What about getting lead shot for a shotgun and use that. Would that be any cheaper?
Getting shotgun shot in Beautiful Downtown Burbank is no easy feat. Yer not from around here, are ya son? :p

Gary,
Have an old .410 that only takes 2" shells (which I can't find anymore) that was good for squirrels at short range. Could shoot one and duck back into the house without arrousing the neighbors.
Something tells me that wouldn't be workable at Gary's townhouse. ;) Yer really not from around here, are ya? :D

I've lived in this area (I work in Burbank) for about 15 years and have yet to run across a store that sells reloading supplies. There may well be one within driving distance, but I've never seen one. The last local "gun store" I went to only sold handguns. (It was in Glendale and it sure seemed like a front for the local Armenian Mafia.)

Now sand, that's another story. We got sand. :D With or without salt.

Frank Fusco
09-24-2006, 8:07 AM
Getting shotgun shot in Beautiful Downtown Burbank is no easy feat. Yer not from around here, are ya son? :p

Something tells me that wouldn't be workable at Gary's townhouse. ;) Yer really not from around here, are ya? :D

I've lived in this area (I work in Burbank) for about 15 years and have yet to run across a store that sells reloading supplies. There may well be one within driving distance, but I've never seen one. The last local "gun store" I went to only sold handguns. (It was in Glendale and it sure seemed like a front for the local Armenian Mafia.)

Now sand, that's another story. We got sand. :D With or without salt.

We digress, but what the hey......
For squirrel control in a populated area, I suggest a good quality air rifle. Quiet, accurate and effective.
Another reason I don't live in California. I don't believe I have ever seen a gunshop, in any state, that doesn't carry reloading supplies. They are staples to the gun business.

Jim Becker
09-24-2006, 10:38 AM
Well, if you can't find reloading shot in CA, there are undoubtedly at least stores that cater to people who fish! ;)

Michael Armstrong
09-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Gary:
Why not try some large washers for the weight you want. Use a forstner bit to drill the bottom to the size of the washer(s) and epoxy them into place.

Michael

Keith Burns
09-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Gary, overall nice job:) :) It is amazing how the simplest of forms can be the most difficult.

Ben Werner
09-24-2006, 7:30 PM
Looks good. :D

Could you give a link to the place where you got the candle inserts? I've been looking for those things for quite a while...
Ben

Richard Madison
09-25-2006, 12:44 AM
Frank and Jim,
Thank you for your support!

Gary DeWitt
09-25-2006, 2:09 AM
Ben,
here's a better kind from craftsupply:
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=041-0444
and here's the cheap ones I used, since I have them on hand and bought them long ago before I knew about the ones at craft supply:
http://www.cherrytreetoys.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=153&variation=&aitem=12&mitem=146&d

John Gornall
09-27-2006, 12:03 AM
Gary,

I like the lines of these turnings - nice lines.

For the photos I suggest a longer lens with the camera a little further away. This should make the perspective difference of the 3 tops a little less noticable. However the shots show the turnings well.

Gary DeWitt
09-27-2006, 4:00 AM
Thanks, John. I noticed the perspective but wasn't sure what to correct. I used an 18-55 MM (correct for digital) at about a foot away, I'll try the 75-300 next time. I was under the impression with product photos that a faster lens should be used so as to be able to stop down and increase depth of field.

There's a guy who contacted me from Seattle who owns a gallery there and wants to sell these, if all goes well he will be ordering some in quantity! I guess I'm in business.:)

Vaughn McMillan
09-27-2006, 4:47 AM
Thanks, John. I noticed the perspective but wasn't sure what to correct. I used an 18-55 MM (correct for digital) at about a foot away, I'll try the 75-300 next time. I was under the impression with product photos that a faster lens should be used so as to be able to stop down and increase depth of field.

There's a guy who contacted me from Seattle who owns a gallery there and wants to sell these, if all goes well he will be ordering some in quantity! I guess I'm in business.:) Congrats on the commission, Gary. I'm sure they'll sell well.

I have the same lens combination as you, with a Nikon D50...what body are you attaching them to?

Lars Thomas
09-27-2006, 10:54 AM
Gary, Great looking candle sticks. I don't really see the 'problem' with the lines you referred to. They all look symmetrical to me. It would be tough to beat sand for the base.

Julio Navarro
09-27-2006, 11:23 AM
they look great! Very handsome.

Have you thought about fishing weights?

What soret of wood is that?

Paul Engle
09-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Very nice, up here by the border ( north Idaho)i found lots of lead shot in the streams and lakes, the hard part is the diving to pick em up. My wife solved the squirel problem with her 20 gauge ..... now i have no shot for my candle sticks, she lit off one round and it went poof .... i took the shot out and did not tell her.... still can't figure out how she missed the varmit ....bushy tailed rats she calls em. oh yeah i made a couple of modern type candle sticks in walnut, still shaking two weeks later, at age 57 hard to find steady hands .....
as Red says" if women cant find ya handsom , they sould find ya handy"
as Paul says " if ur wife finds ya ..... run ":D

Gary DeWitt
09-27-2006, 1:15 PM
Julio - its mahogany, kiln dried scrap from a furniture manufacturer. Nice color, eh?

Paul - Love the backwoods story, LMAO. Yeah, fuzzy tailed rats for sure. You have a rare wife, who can see them for what they are. Around here, there are too many little old ladies feeding the GD varmints! Why is it most women will scream in terror at a rat, and coo at a rat with a fuzzy tail?
Stay tuned for some walnut candlesticks, just doing the finish now...

John Szarek
09-27-2006, 4:40 PM
I went to bass pro shops and picked up a bag of birdshot. Works great! I added a little to each base with some ca. Then put felt over that.

Glenn Hodges
09-27-2006, 5:52 PM
Gary, you made Mr. Rude proud. They look great.

Ernie Nyvall
09-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Wow, I like those Gary. Very pleasing form.