PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes you must cry

Nick Englesby
09-23-2006, 2:00 AM
My dog (Gregor) was hit by a car on Tuesday. I am working in California and my wife just couldnt tell me because of me being out of town and not wanting me to worry. He is hurt very badly and has been in a critical care animal hospital since Monday. He may or may not lose his left rear leg. He may or may not live I just hope that he will live. I will do whatever it takes to help our dog survive. He is a member of our family and will be cared for accordingly.

I am obviously very sad and just wanted to vent a little. My little girl is constantly asking my wife where Greggy is. My wife told me that our once 100 lb. German Shepard now weighs 75 lbs. If he survives he will need multiple skin grafts on his rear leg to replace all that was lost in the accident.

Sorry for such a bummer of a post.

I cant sleep and cannot do anything to help either as im stuck here for another week.

Don Baer
09-23-2006, 2:15 AM
Nick,
Dog's are a part of our family so I can relate to how you feel. They give all of themselves and only ask that we feed em, give em a place to sleep and occasionaly scratch em behind the ear. I hope your friend gets well soon.

Nick Englesby
09-23-2006, 2:27 AM
thank you so much

Vaughn McMillan
09-23-2006, 3:23 AM
Wishing for the best for Gregor, you and your family. :( Vet medicine is pretty sophisticated these days, so hopefully they can save his leg (and him). I can fully relate to the dogs as family, since fuzzy kids are all LOML and I have.

Doug Shepard
09-23-2006, 8:07 AM
Lets hope Gregor pulls through. I can't imagine how terrible it must feel to not be by his side. It sounds like he's in good hands though. Hang in there.

Tyler Howell
09-23-2006, 8:33 AM
Harley and I both send our best!

Jim Becker
09-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Nick, it's sad to hear about this and I hope that Greggy pulls through. I'm sure that the doc and your family will do everything possible to that end. Hang in there!

Jim O'Dell
09-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Nick, sending prayers and some Irish Setter zen Gregor's way. Spend some time with him this weekend, just sit on the floor and rub his ears. That will transfer some strength to him, and will let him know that there is a reason to fight to get better. If the Vet says they prefer you not, remind him/her whose dog it is. Don't take no for an answer. (My wife sits in on surgery's, so they will let you if you are clear on your intentions.) Jim.

Andy Hoyt
09-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Archie, Marlowe, and I are pulling for you, Gregor.

Dave Richards
09-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Add Pepe and I to the list.

Al Willits
09-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Also Lori, Al and Gracie too.

We also are among those who feel deeply towards our dogs, so I can understand your pain.

Best of luck to the dog and family.

Al

Dave Ray
09-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Add Lucky and I to the list.

Jim Dunn
09-23-2006, 11:45 AM
Me and Callie and Codie as well.

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-23-2006, 3:01 PM
I'll be keeping you folks in my thoughts. (That includes Gregor)

Bruce

Richard Wolf
09-23-2006, 3:11 PM
Best of luck and I wish only good things for Gregor, you and your family.
I lost my Bear, Golden ret., about 2 months ago, so I know your pain as do many others on this forum.
Losing Bear was the saddest day of my life, my heart is broken, I'm not sure I will ever be the same.
I hope your beautiful dog can recover.

Richard

Mark Rios
09-23-2006, 3:45 PM
My Scooter and Tera just barked at me to relay their best doggy wishes as well.

Come on Gregor!!!!!!!

tod evans
09-23-2006, 4:11 PM
my thoughts are with you nick.

Mike Cutler
09-23-2006, 5:24 PM
Nick.

I feel your pain bro'. I got a three legged Viszla that had a run in with a Ford Bronco a few years back. He lost the front leg. I was seriously bummed.

Dogs are amazing animals. We thought we would lose him twice in the week following the accident, but he just kept on. He also lost some serious body weight during the whole ordeal..

Keep the faith, and don't worry so much about your dog possibly losing the leg. It's incredible how quickly they adapt to it. A month or two after the accident, I saw my dog hopping across the driveway on two legs, because he had gotten a thorn in one of his rear paws. What a hammer.

We're pulling for you.

Ron Jones near Indy
09-23-2006, 7:26 PM
I'm pulling for all of you.

Robert Mickley
09-23-2006, 7:47 PM
Animals are tough, even if he loses a leg he will find a way to cope. Nephew had a 3 legged mutt when he was a kid. Even on 3 legs she still ran groundhogs down on a daily basis.

We are all praying for him
Best wishes
Kenda, Flint and Red are tossiong in some Lab zen to go along with that fine Irish Setter zen

Ken Fitzgerald
09-23-2006, 7:50 PM
You, your family and Gregor are in my thoughts!

Bryan Somers
09-23-2006, 7:51 PM
Wishing Gregor our best. We know how you feel our pets have a way with our hearts and become members of the family

Jim King
09-23-2006, 8:21 PM
I think I know exactly how you feel. We always have 40 to 45 adopted street dogs that come with no hair but plenty of worms and whatever. They all become part of the family and loosing one is a horrible experience but compared to what they gave you while with you what is there to say. Good luck.

Mark Pruitt
09-23-2006, 9:11 PM
Zach and I send our best wishes!

Mark

Nick Englesby
09-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Update:

Gregor made it thru another day although in serious pain. He may get a blood transfusion tomorrow to limit the chance of sepsis (Systemic infection).

Gary Herrmann
09-24-2006, 1:26 AM
Leo, Everett, Logan and I wish Gregor, you and your family all the best.

John Miliunas
09-24-2006, 10:30 PM
Nick, I'm afraid I can't add much more than what the other folks have already said. Please, accept my most sincere wishes for Gregor and your entire family, so that this whole incident has a happy ending. True enough, our pets really do become a part of our family and we can only hope and pray for the best. You have that coming from this end!

Boyd Gathwright
09-24-2006, 11:39 PM
Hi Nick,
.... Dogs especially have always been a BIG part of my life too. I will pray to GOD for you, Gregor and your family and to allow HIS will to be done.

:)

My dog (Gregor) was hit by a car on Tuesday. I am working in California and my wife just couldnt tell me because of me being out of town and not wanting me to worry. He is hurt very badly and has been in a critical care animal hospital since Monday. He may or may not lose his left rear leg. He may or may not live I just hope that he will live. I will do whatever it takes to help our dog survive. He is a member of our family and will be cared for accordingly.

I am obviously very sad and just wanted to vent a little. My little girl is constantly asking my wife where Greggy is. My wife told me that our once 100 lb. German Shepard now weighs 75 lbs. If he survives he will need multiple skin grafts on his rear leg to replace all that was lost in the accident.

Sorry for such a bummer of a post.

I cant sleep and cannot do anything to help either as im stuck here for another week.

Al Willits
09-25-2006, 7:15 PM
How's the dog doing nick??

Al

Nick Englesby
09-25-2006, 10:34 PM
How's the dog doing nick??

Al

He is still very much a mess. Infection is under control and he seems to be healing slowly. If most of the pads on his rear leg heal he may be able to keep it. My wife meets with the surgeon on Wednesday to talk about options. The big question is if the leg will be usable or not. It is difficult to get details from my wife because it is so hard for her to talk about. I will be home on Sunday and will be able to see him myself.

I am hopeful.

Thanks to all for the kind thoughts.

rodney mitchell
09-25-2006, 11:26 PM
Nick.......good luck to you and your pal. It makes it so much worse I am sure that you are stuck out of town. You and your family hang in there and good things will happen.

Rodney

Ken Werner
09-28-2006, 8:32 AM
Nick,
I'm sure I'm not alone hoping that no news is good news. Gregor and your family are in our hearts. May you all find strength to heal.
Ken

Richard Wolf
09-28-2006, 4:12 PM
Ditto what Ken said.

Richard

Nick Englesby
09-29-2006, 12:26 AM
Here is the latest.

Gregors leg is in very bad shape. My decision now is to amputate or not. What a rotten postition to be in. I am trying to decide between amputation and ending his life. He is in so much pain not just from his leg but other fractures. Does anyone have an opinion on if it would be good to have a three legged German Shepard ? He has more problems than his leg which complicates things greatly. I love my dog dearly and am in great need of advice. If I can get Greggy to live a life without pain, I will; but of course a veterinary surgeon can give only options.

thanks

Nick

Mike Cutler
09-29-2006, 1:13 AM
Nick.

If the leg is the only long term real problem. Amputation may be your solution.
In my previous post I told you about my three legged dog,a nd that he's doing fine. It took awhile though to get there.
Along with the busted up leg he also fractured bones in his face, along the upper portion of his nose. He was busted up petty good. I thought the same thing that you are.... Maybe it's time. When he accidentally hit the exact area of the amputation trying to go up the stairs.We had to essentially start from square one again.

They removed his leg and put him on this morphine patch drip thing to manage the pain. He had to go back every few days for the vets to replace this patch. My wife and I had to take a few weeks off of work to help him out. I used to have to cradle his front end in a towel and help him walk out to go to the bathroom. My dogs have all been trained not to go the bathroom in grass, so we had to walk out to the woodline. It took awhile. It was hard seeing this high powered gundog struggling to just make it out to the wood line.

If the Doc's can manage the pain, and all of the other injuries will heal in time. I say give him a chanct. In 6 months you really won't notice that leg is missing. Dogs are amazing.

My three legged "Pointer" is lying next to me snoring a bit. He makes it up and down stairs just fine now. He also can still hunt just fine. Of course a three legged pointer is a little hard to read on point sometimes.;)

Give yourself, your family, and Greggy a chance. Don't let the loss of the leg be the deciding factor.

Mike.

Al Willits
09-29-2006, 9:51 AM
I know 2 dogs that do pretty well on three legs, but I think you may have to decide what else nay be involved, if just the leg, maybe go for it, if more and the dog will be in pain....maybe not.
Hell of a decision my friend, not one we've enjoyed in our past three dogs.
Our Vet gave a poem to read and I can't find it now, but this one is very close.
I'd be hard pressed to come up with anything that hurt as much as putting our dogs down, I still tear up over them damn dogs.
Good luck, ain't a easy decision to make.

Al.....who's praying for the best, a happy three legged dog...

If It Should Be”

If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep.
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle can't be won.
You will be sad, I understand,
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love and friendship stand the test.
We've had so many happy years,
What is to come can hold no fears.
Would you want me to suffer? So,
When the time comes, please let me go.
Take me where my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me until the end.
And hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.
It is a kindness that you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Do not grieve it should be you,
Who must decide this thing to do.
We've been so close, we two these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears. Author Unknown

John Branam
09-29-2006, 11:27 AM
I have a friend who has a sheppard mix with three legs and he gets around great and still loves to run and play.

Roger Fitzsimonds
09-29-2006, 1:50 PM
Nick,
My brother-in-law has a yellow lab he trained to duck hunt. he jumped out of the back of his pickup after another dog. he damaged his right rear leg and it had to be removed. that is the happiest dog and he still retrieves ducks. Dog are wonderful animals and very adaptable. I hope and pray for you and your dog.

Roger

Ed Nelson978
09-29-2006, 2:00 PM
Wow... I just read this post and it's brought a tear to my eye. My wife and I have 5 "kids" all with fur and tails. I can definitely empathize with the bond you have with Greggy. You have a tough decision, but if possible you should try to save him. I know the decision isn't as easy as that though. Best wishes and prayers for you and Greggy!

Doug Shepard
09-29-2006, 2:16 PM
The bottom line is what's best for Greggy. If due to his other injuries, he's not going to be able to recuperate from the amputation and will be in constant pain, then putting him to sleep will be the kindest thing you can do for him. If in the vets opinion the other injuries aren't insurmountable then by all means go ahead with the amputation. There's lots of 3-legged dogs running around - even some 2-legged logs with wheeled contraptions - that are just regular happy dogs. Other than not being able to scratch in all the same places, they dont even seem to be aware they're missing anything. It's sucks to be in your position, but in the end you have to do what's best for your friend. My thoughts go out to you and your family. I'm still pulling for Greggy, but will understand if you have to make the harder decision.

Richard Wolf
09-29-2006, 5:10 PM
I hate to start getting philosophical, but please don't jump to any decisions that are irreversible.
I'm am a strong believer in keeping your pet alive as long as possible. For those that say to end his suffering and put him down, it is the humane thing to do, if it is, how come we don't treat humans that way.
I believe that spending some time with you being loved and touched is a very good alternative to not exsisting.
OTOH, if death is days or hours away any way, and you can choose the moment so you are with him and he will die in your arms, I can understand that.
I am pulling for Gregor and you to be strong.

Richard

Don Baer
09-29-2006, 9:49 PM
Nick,
My heart goes out to you. You have a very hard decision to make. Some would say that putting him down would be the humane thing to do. Others would say that having the leg amputated is a waste of money. Still yet Gregor is your loyal friend and as long as he can function as a dog and be your loyal friend then why not take care of him as if he were a member of the family (he is). I had to put down 1 dog who gave me over 15 years of love. I had another who gave me 17 years and was in such a bad way that she died I was going to take her to have her put down. She saved me the ordeal.
Only you can decided.

Nancy Laird
09-29-2006, 9:58 PM
Nick, my kitties Sneakers and Socks sent their good vibes for Greggy's good recovery. It's always hard to make these decisions, but I know that you and your wife will do what's best for him---and you.

Jerry Olexa
09-30-2006, 12:41 AM
wish you the best and a quick recovery for your beloved pet...I understand..

Gerald Shultz
09-30-2006, 1:04 AM
Sorry to hear of Greggy's situation Nick. As an owner of 3 dogs myself I see in them love and need to be loved. Greggy is lucky he loves you and your family and is loved by you. Continue to love him and trust in God. He will pull thru this.
Good Luck
Jerry

Al Willits
10-01-2006, 9:21 AM
Nick, any word?

We're all hoping for the best for ya.

Al

Nick Englesby
10-01-2006, 2:04 PM
My wife and I decided to end Gregors suffering this morning.

It broke our hearts.

tod evans
10-01-2006, 2:06 PM
bummer man! my condolances to you and your family nick.....tod

Glenn Clabo
10-01-2006, 2:12 PM
Man....sorry....

Andy Hoyt
10-01-2006, 2:13 PM
Tough news to bear, Nick. Real tough.

But look on the bright side - he's now in a place where sticks, socks, and other chewables are abundant; snoozing on the furniture is mandatory; and munchies are automatically dispensed.

Jerry Olexa
10-01-2006, 2:26 PM
NIck, that is one of the toughest things you do in your life. I had to do it 3 times with our dogs over the years and the tears flowed freely...Our best wishes...Probably ended much suffering as painful as this was..

Richard Wolf
10-01-2006, 3:05 PM
Oh man, no words can help.

Richard

Ken Werner
10-01-2006, 3:09 PM
From the moment we let a puppy enter our homes and our hearts we know the risks....

You and your family gave him love, caring and a chance to live. And you also had the strength to bring him to a merciful end. May he rest in peace, and may you find solace, knowing you did what you could.

My heart goes out to you.

Ken

Nancy Laird
10-01-2006, 3:23 PM
Nick, my heart aches for you. Best to you and your wife.

Nancy

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
10-01-2006, 3:57 PM
Godspeed Gregors.

Vaughn McMillan
10-01-2006, 4:36 PM
Very sorry to hear the news, Nick. As hard as that decision can be, there are times it's the only right one. I suspect he's in good company now, though.

Don Baer
10-01-2006, 5:15 PM
Nick,
Sorry for your loss. I am sure that words can't replace the loss of your good friend.

Ron Jones near Indy
10-01-2006, 5:23 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know that is one of the toughest things I ever had to do. Take comfort in knowing that your loved pet is suffering no more.

Randy Moore
10-01-2006, 6:09 PM
Not a lot I can add that hasn't already been said.
My thoughts and prayers are going your way.

Mike Cutler
10-01-2006, 7:19 PM
Nick.

Peace Bro'. To you and your family.

Doug Shepard
10-01-2006, 9:37 PM
Nick - sorry he wasn't able to pull through. I feel for you.

Al Willits
10-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Not more I can add that hasn't been said, but after going though three dogs already I can feel the pain you must be, I still tear up when I think of it.
Have a good cry and try to think of all the good things you've been though, and if your like me, you'll have a few more cries.

Al ...who hopes dogs go to heaven, because it'd sure be lonely without them there..

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-03-2006, 12:20 AM
I, too, know what you're feeling. We buried our companion of 16 years over ten years ago and still miss her.

Bruce

Dave Richards
10-03-2006, 7:18 AM
My best thoughts go out to you and your wife. I know the pain you must be feeling. You did a brave thing.

rodney mitchell
10-03-2006, 8:24 PM
Nick, you did a brave thing and he will never have to suffer again. I have to believe ya'll will see him again.

Hang in there...............

Rodney

Bryan Somers
10-03-2006, 9:02 PM
My heart goes out to you and your family Nick, its hard losing such a devoted companion and friend. 8 months ago the wife and I had to make the same descission with our black lab Oreo thats her in my avatar. It was tough but something we knew we had to do. I still find myself looking for her under the oak tree she liked to lie under. Heres a link I'm sure you will find some comfort in, I know we do.

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

I am sure Oreo greeted Gregor at the Rainbow Bridge.

Another link you may be interested in.

http://www.petloss.com/

Run with the wind Gregor!

Jim O'Dell
10-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Nick, I'm sorry Gregor didn't make it. I see Bryan posted a link to the Rainbow Bridge. I've said this before to others here. Make a file in the computer, something like, 'Remembering Gregor" and everytime you think of something funny or neat that Gregor did, or was involved in, type it in to keep. Most of our entries were one liners that spurred a memory, usually a vivedly visual memory. It helps in the healing process. And who knows, one of these days, there may be the patter of puppy feet in your household again, and you'll marvel at both the differences and the similarities the new one has to Gregor. That's the way it should be. Jim.

Greg Ladd
10-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Nick,

I have a lump in my throat reading this thread. I am so sorry for your loss.

Greg

larry merlau
10-10-2006, 11:43 AM
well nick i just done reading of your loss, i too have been there and while reading of the others as well as your comments i had to reply. i had lost a an old freind a few years ago and took the stiff upper lip approach no more pets it was to hard to loose them. but i went away on a hunting trip and came home to new arrival that hated men:) he wasnt what i wanted to see and then afterwards i softened and he grew to like me. the wife had acat that i wasnt always pleasent too when it was younger, then i again softened and let her in as well they both played together and had there times. last year i had to put the cat down and the dog missed her as much as the wife did. so after period of no more cats again stiff liped attiude i consented to another.. just last night they were both playing together as though they both the same critter. took turns licking each others face and then run and play some more. that and many other times they have given us many great memiories and have made life as we humans see it definatly more enjoyable.. the past pets will never be forgotten!! but like john wayne once said if you fall of the horse, get back on and ride agin. look for another and he or she will help fill the void that has been made recently.

Tom Henry
10-10-2006, 1:05 PM
I to had to put down our family pet a year ago. It was the hardest thing I have ever done and he took his last breath in my arms. I cried like a baby.

Brad Kimbrell
10-11-2006, 12:48 AM
I've gone through this with 2 boxers and the first one really troubled me. I had the problem of him being very sick but not dying, just suffering in my opinion. I hung on for about a month too long and knew it after I did the right thing for my best pal. "Rowdy" was 9 1/2 years old.

My 2nd boxer "Taffy" was very tough, but at least I knew when it was the right time. She was 10.

We now have 3 boxers. Just rescued "Dyno", a 6 month old to go along with "Titus Maximus" (5yo) and "Marcus Aurellius" (3yo). The pain of losing "Rowdy" almost kept me from getting another one but I am very happy that we kept going.

My point with all of this is that you have done the right and noble thing. It is our responsibility to make these decisions for our companions when the time is right.

My heart goes out to you and your family. You will always have the memories in your heart of the joy that he brought to all of you.

Boyd Gathwright
10-11-2006, 9:39 AM
.... You know, God gave us, as humans, domain over animals. But when it comes to our pets, this is a responsibility some of us do NOT care to exercise. Brad is right, Once you realize there is nothing more that can be done and the animal is in pain or their function is greatly curtailed no matter how much you love them you have a responsibility to them as their loving family. I too have held on longer than I should have as I think back over the years about some of my loving pets.

I've gone through this with 2 boxers and the first one really troubled me. I had the problem of him being very sick but not dying, just suffering in my opinion. I hung on for about a month too long and knew it after I did the right thing for my best pal. "Rowdy" was 9 1/2 years old.

My 2nd boxer "Taffy" was very tough, but at least I knew when it was the right time. She was 10.

We now have 3 boxers. Just rescued "Dyno", a 6 month old to go along with "Titus Maximus" (5yo) and "Marcus Aurellius" (3yo). The pain of losing "Rowdy" almost kept me from getting another one but I am very happy that we kept going.

My point with all of this is that you have done the right and noble thing. It is our responsibility to make these decisions for our companions when the time is right.

My heart goes out to you and your family. You will always have the memories in your heart of the joy that he brought to all of you.

Nick Englesby
10-28-2006, 12:29 AM
I thank everyone for replying to my post. I have learned many things over that last few weeks. What I thought was most important is now not. I now understand that my family, wife and daughter are the most important. I of course new this before but we tend to take so very many things for granted. I will never forget holding my dogs head, petting him and telling him that everything will be ok while I put him to sleep forever. I am still trying to convince myself that I did the right thing, and I know I have. Something very strange for me as I treat dying cancer patients every single day. As I put Gregor to sleep, I remembered every time that I should have taken him for a walk or played with him instead of cutting the grass, surfing the net etc. This is the most painful thing for me. I will never let this happen again. Maybe this is what I am to learn from this experience. All I know is that my next dog will be a very hapy camper indeed.

Once again,

Thank you all for your compasion

Nick

Jerry Olexa
10-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Dear Nick, Please don't be wishing you could have done better. You're a good man who obviously loved your dog and you treated him well. You did the best you could and made a hard decision when it was needed. Remember the good times. You provided a good home for your beloved pet while he was with you. Now he has no more pain, suffering. Don't regret it. I understand....