PDA

View Full Version : Another one bits the dust

Don Baer
09-23-2006, 12:10 AM
My youngest son was noseing around the shop and picked up a small blank I had on the drying rack. I showed him how to mount the piece and a few of the basic then set him free. He wouldn't use the face shield but I figure he'll come around to that with time. His technique is kinda primitive but as he encounters a few catches I'll try to guide him. Anfter I took this picture I finaly got him to to let me show him how to hold a gauge and make some curls so he is getting the basic idea.

Don Baer
09-23-2006, 12:48 AM
He decided to go for broke and hollow it out. The gouges are ok for the outside but he kinda favors the scrapers for hollowing. The bowl gouge was just to much for a beginner. Hey at least he's getting ribbons.

I guess I'd better be saving my pennies for some mustard or mayo if I want to get any turning time.

Bernie Weishapl
09-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Hey Don that is great. Nice way to spend some time with family. Wish I could get mine interested in any kind of wood working. Enjoy.

Tom Sherman
09-23-2006, 4:25 PM
Don that is cool, know the feeling, my oldest son has been bitten also and loves it. He has intentions of making some useful items for his old chevy truck.

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-23-2006, 6:06 PM
Glad you're SHARIN" the RIKON! Would Hate to think you'ld keep it ALL TO YOURSELF!

Bruce

Ken Fitzgerald
09-23-2006, 7:24 PM
Congrats Don! It's neat to see the son following Dad's steps!

Vaughn McMillan
09-24-2006, 5:46 AM
Something tells me the "Chris Baer" currently noted on the home page as the newest member to SMC has some resemblance to the guy in the pic. ;)

Welcome to the Abyss, Chris.

That's downright poetic if I do say so myself. :)

Claude Arragon
09-24-2006, 6:34 AM
Hey Hey!
Our kids always want to finish prior to start! :D

Don Baer
09-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Something tells me the "Chris Baer" currently noted on the home page as the newest member to SMC has some resemblance to the guy in the pic. ;)

Welcome to the Abyss, Chris.

That's downright poetic if I do say so myself. :)

Yup thats Chris. He want to do some carving to his turning before posting a finished picture.

Don Baer
09-25-2006, 12:06 AM
OK he's hooked.

Came home from church and here he was, turning another. He doug into my stash of Eucalyptus and started another. His mom asked him if he was having fun. His aswer was, "well dad's working on your desk so I figured he wasn't using the lathe.

CORY FETZER
10-05-2006, 4:51 PM
don well i guess you know you could get him his own rikon for christmas

happy turning