PDA

View Full Version : This turning thing ain't half bad

Matt Warfield
09-23-2006, 12:07 AM
Well, I finally worked up the courage to fire up the home brew lathe I purchased a couple of years ago for 15 bucks. It's got decent capacity - approximately 40" between centers and I think about 10~12" swing. Made from salvage yard components and powered by a big ol' 1/4 HP motor. I'm not kidding, the thing weighs about pounds. The lathe itself weighs about 180 pounds mostly due to the 6" angle iron.

Anyway, here's my first masterpiece. :D Considering I have one lathe tool (pictured), I had a good chuckle with the results. I used the only piece of square scrap I had, a piece of bone dry cherry about 4" long. I was going to make a cone but I apparently didn't seat the drive center all the way.

Thanks for looking. Critiques welcome :rolleyes: but really not necessary. :D

Jim Dunn
09-23-2006, 12:32 AM
Hey Matt that's cool for a first turning. Well on your way to making a bonker.

Matt Warfield
09-23-2006, 12:42 AM
I'm thinking some proper tools might be in order first. :D

Don Baer
09-23-2006, 12:50 AM
hey Matt we all got to start somewhere..

Matt Warfield
09-23-2006, 1:01 AM
Very true Don! Heck, if my flatwork looks that bad I'm not nearly amused by it. I've set another goal - spin up a bonker by my anniversary - Oct 20th.

Thanks for the encouragement guys!!

Bernie Weishapl
09-23-2006, 11:07 AM
Yep looks pretty good Matt. Maybe a set of the $35 HF set would be a good start.

Matt Warfield
09-23-2006, 2:42 PM
Thanks Bernie. I couldn't wait for HF although a road trip would have been fun. Instead, I went to the local Menards and picked up a 5 piece set for $16 and went to town. My first mini bonker began life as a scrap that was used to test a few router setups. I see that's not the best idea as those machining points were very prone to tearout.

I do have one question. When you feel heat coming off with the shavings, is that indicative of being too agressive with the cut, it's time to sharpen, or just a part of the joy of turning?

Andy Hoyt
09-23-2006, 3:56 PM
Hot shavings just mean that you're dealing with dry timber.

Randy Privett
09-23-2006, 4:12 PM
Looks great Matt, my first piece, I turned with a sharpened screwdriver. Everyone was at one time where you are now.

Matt Warfield
09-23-2006, 5:41 PM
Looks great Matt, my first piece, I turned with a sharpened screwdriver. Everyone was at one time where you are now.

Randy, using a screwdrive did occur to me but I'm a pretty strong believer in the right tool for the job.