PDA

View Full Version : router question

Anthony Yakonick
10-13-2003, 4:28 AM
I bought a PC 8529 "2hp" plunge router that I'm going to mount in a table,will it spin a panel raising bit effectively? I understand the debate about horsepower but I'm not sure what the minimum "hp" we're looking for. I was hot for a router and it was a clearance item with a rebate so I had to "plunge".

Anthony

Don Farr
10-13-2003, 5:44 AM
I see that you are an early riser like myself. I purchased one of those a few weeks back and it has done a great job. I am no router expert by any means, but I don't think you will have any problems. I still can not figure out how these tool manufacturers come up with these HP ratings. There is a standard in place in the US that states how you determine HP and they don't go by any of them.
Anyway I am sure that you will get lots of good advice here on the Creek. Have a great Monday ( I will because I'm off today) :D

Anthony Yakonick
10-13-2003, 9:07 AM
Hi Don, thanks for the repy, I'm not an early riser I had shoulder surgery on Friday so I'm not sleeping through the night due to pain so instead of sitting around crying Ido some net surfing. also it"s hell typing with one hand.

Anthony

Jim Becker
10-13-2003, 9:13 AM
Yes, it will spin the larger cutters, although you may need to take lighter cuts. (Even with a 15 amp router, you'll generally not take the whole thing in one pass) I used the predicessor to the 8529 in my table before putting in the heavier 7518. It performed just fine.

If you have not done so already, you might want to get the above the table adjustment kit for the 8529 from PC. It will greatly ease height adjustment and is relatively inexpensive as compared to other systems available.