PDA

View Full Version : OT - hard drive backup

Mitchell Andrus
09-22-2006, 4:29 PM
Anyone use a decent, easy to understand backup utility? Freeware or not, there's got to be something better than Bill's.

Got the external drive, but I don't trust the convoluted way backups are handled.

Mitch

Joe Pelonio
09-22-2006, 4:40 PM
I just use the software that came with my CDRW, takes 3 CDs but they are cheap these days.

Some of the internet service providers are offering backup on their servers via the internet now too.

Jason Lippert
09-22-2006, 5:48 PM
What we found works fast and easy are USB flash drives. We just back our customer files up since they are all located in one folder on our server. The flash drives are getting cheaper all the time. If your files are not organized in this way I would recommend doing so, since it makes a backup so fast. If you feel the need to back up your whole system, I recommend Dantz Retrospect. I have used it for years at home, and it has multiple ways to make backups that will suit your needs. Hope this helps. If there is anything specific you need to know feel free to ask.:)

Joe Pelonio
09-22-2006, 6:10 PM
What we found works fast and easy are USB flash drives. We just back our customer files up since they are all located in one folder on our server. The flash drives are getting cheaper all the time. If your files are not organized in this way I would recommend doing so, since it makes a backup so fast. If you feel the need to back up your whole system, I recommend Dantz Retrospect. I have used it for years at home, and it has multiple ways to make backups that will suit your needs. Hope this helps. If there is anything specific you need to know feel free to ask.:)
The only thing about flash drives is they are written over, so keep more than one generation in case it gets lost or broken.

Mitchell Andrus
09-22-2006, 7:30 PM
Word, Corel, Excel files etc. are one thing.... program configurations and behind the scenes databases, dll, driver settings are quite another. I'm hoping to be able to fully recover from another drive in the event of total meltdown.

I'll check out Dantz Retrospect.

Mitch

Dave Fifield
09-22-2006, 7:40 PM
Hi Mitchell, I just bought a Maxtor One Touch backup drive a week ago. The software that comes with it (Retrospect, as it turns out) seems very comprehensive and easy to use. To back up manually, I push the button on the front of the drive. The program auto-backs up for me whenever I want too. It keeps versions, so it doesn't overwrite old data. Nice. Wasn't cheap though.

:Dave F.

Mitchell Andrus
09-22-2006, 7:59 PM
Dave, PC Mag readers are posting less than glowing reviews on this unit. I'd be careful.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1744196,00.asp

Mitch

Curt Harms
09-23-2006, 2:19 AM
Word, Corel, Excel files etc. are one thing.... program configurations and behind the scenes databases, dll, driver settings are quite another. I'm hoping to be able to fully recover from another drive in the event of total meltdown.

I'll check out Dantz Retrospect.

Mitch

From terabyte unlimited. http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/. It comes in Windows and DOS:eek: versions. I have an old Win98 boot floppy and just deleted some stuff on it I'll never use and copied the DOS executable file to the boot floppy. Let it boot, type "image" and do what it says. Will backup to USB2 CD and DVD drives as well as USB and ATAPI hard drives. The paid version will create self-booting CD's. Yes it is possible to use USB devices from DOS. When I did a restore, I was exactly back where I was when I did the backup. All files, settings, applications, data, the whole shebang.

If this program has a weakness, there's no corrupt file recovery. If during a restore operation it hits corrupt data, it'll abort and say "tough luck, sorry". It does have a backup then verify function, I highly recommend the verify function. No relationship with terabyte beyond being a satisfied user.

Chuck Wintle
09-23-2006, 8:07 AM
Anyone use a decent, easy to understand backup utility? Freeware or not, there's got to be something better than Bill's.

Got the external drive, but I don't trust the convoluted way backups are handled.

Mitch
I am using a very nice little program called Syncback. To use it you simply create a profile with the folders in question to either synchronize or back them up. :)
http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/SyncBack/SyncBack.html

Steve Clardy
09-23-2006, 11:13 AM
I have what Dave has. Backs up the whole computer.
Loose your hard drive, just remove this one from the case and install it. $109.00 off of Ebay

Brad Olson
09-24-2006, 12:41 AM
I use a program called cobain backup.

Free ware and doesn't put your backup in a "file" so you don't need the program for restore.

I also burn my files to DVD twice weekly, in dual copy, one kept at home and one at work.

Files I am working on currently are synced hourly to a USB flash drive. Hourly as opposed to continuously in case of a catastrophic failure.