PDA

View Full Version : Pen turning on a drill press?

Brian Page
10-13-2003, 12:16 AM
Has anyone out there used a drill press to turn pens or other small items? I would like to try this as it looks interesting. I saved an article about a homemade model but recently seen a commercially available one for about 25.00.

Brian

Mike Evertsen
10-13-2003, 4:42 PM
when I started I turned small spindels on my drill press I bought a black & decker drill powered lathe but made it work on the drill press worked ok but got a little scary a few times,,,,,

Mike Evertsen
10-15-2003, 2:28 PM
looking thru the new pennstate catalog they have a drill press lathe attachment
part number DPLATHE,,,,,,,,

Matt Kollar
10-16-2003, 6:10 AM
Brian:

Woodsmith #108 has a detailed discussion on turning pens on a drill press.

Doug Littlejohn
10-16-2003, 3:17 PM
The problem with using a DP as a lathe is that the bearings are not designed for the types of side loads that lathe usage creates.

Not withstanding that, I would think that making a few small items like pens would probably be okay.

Just be aware, if you're already pushing the runnout on your DP to it's limits, you'll probably make it worse.

One thing that would help (I haven't seen the articles or the jigs) is to have the bottom or end radially supported. THis would help absorb some of the side loads created during lathe operations.

My .02, YMMV

Lee Schierer
10-16-2003, 4:06 PM
The problem with using a DP as a lathe is that the bearings are not designed for the types of side loads that lathe usage creates.

I am not trying to pick a fight, but I've often heard the comment that drill presses are not designed for radial loads and I can't buy into that. My drill press has ordinary oilite bushings for the spindle and a ball bearing thrust bearing. After more than 40 years of use, I decided to disassemble my drill press to clean it and see what wear was occurring. I had about .002" of run out in the spindle.

The shaft was not worn at all. The bearings were about .0015 larger than new on the ID after considering the shrink from the press fit.

I just did a quick check of a reputable bearing manufacturer and they say that the PV load values that would be equivalent of applying a 1500 pound side load on my chuck while it is spinning at 1200 rpm for bearings of the size and type I just replaced in my drill press are within the rating for the bearings. I'm not sure what other manufacturers use for their drill presses, but the old ones would certainly take the pressure I would hope to apply using a sanding drum or pen turning spindle.

I can't speak for the new drill presses with ball bearings supporting the spindle, but I would expect most would take the load. If in doubt, check the load rating with the manufaturer.

Lee

Ken Salisbury
10-17-2003, 12:52 PM
Has anyone out there used a drill press to turn pens or other small items? I would like to try this as it looks interesting. I saved an article about a homemade model but recently seen a commercially available one for about 25.00.
It's kinda like trying to cut down an oak tree with a hedge trimmer instead of a chain saw. http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/smiley2.gif Use the right tool for the job at hand.