PDA

View Full Version : Husky (home Depot) Compressor Question

rodney mitchell
09-22-2006, 1:43 PM
Hey, does anyone happen to own the 26 gal 5.5 HP model? I have a chance to get a used one (located a distance from where I live), but I need to know if it will fit in the back of a jeep wrangler. So........I need some measurements. Thanks for any help.

Rodney

Brian Parker
09-22-2006, 2:04 PM
Based on Item #VT6315 on Homedepot.com I get the following specs:
Assembled Depth (In Inches) 29.8
Assembled Height (In Inches) 57
Assembled Weight (In LBS) 178
Assembled Width (In Inches) 27.3

The comp that I found is a 26 gal husky only its 5 hp not 5.5 but nonetheless it should be approximatly the same size, afterall I doubt Husky changed the dimensions of their tanks between models.

Mike Hill
09-22-2006, 2:06 PM
Rodney: I have the 60 gallon Husky but went on HD's web site and got the following info. I hope the dimensions and weight help.
Mike

http://www.homedepot.com/HDUS/EN_US/common/images/spacer.gifhttp://www.homedepot.com/HDUS/EN_US/common/images/spacer.gifInternet/Catalog # 100063473Brand HUSKYModel # VT6315Air Delivery 6.6/5.8 SCFM @ 40/90 PSIAssembled Depth (In Inches) 29.8Assembled Height (In Inches) 57Assembled Weight (In LBS) 178Assembled Width (In Inches) 27.3Carrying System WheeledEngine Horsepower 5 HPMax Air Pressure Delivery 135 PSIMotor InductionPower Requirement Convertible from 120 volt/15 amp operation to 240 volt/7.5 amp operationRegulator YesTank Capacity 26 Gal.Tank Pressure Gauge YesType Air CompressorUPC CODE 045564587338Weight(Lbs.) 178 Lbs.Wheels/Portability YesWorking Pressure Gauge Yes

rodney mitchell
09-22-2006, 2:09 PM
Hey Brian and Mike, thanks a lot!! That's just what I needed.

Rodney

rodney mitchell
09-22-2006, 2:13 PM
The seller says it has been used once and looks new, is asking 150 bucks. Sounds like a good deal to me, what do you think?

Brian Parker
09-22-2006, 2:36 PM
$150 for a 26gal isnt bad at all. Just be sure that it will supply you with the air thar you need. More than likely it will run nailers, air ratchet, and impact wrenches w/out a problem. It will proabibly run a paint gun pretty well too. If you want to use sanders, buffers or air hammers check first as those 3 use A LOT of CFM's!

For most people that unit will work great for them and you might even save enough coin to buy a tool with hehe. Since he is selling you the comp see if you can get him to throw in his hose(s) since he won't need them anymore.

Here is my opinion on hoses others may agree or disagree"
-If you want 100' of hose buy 2 50' hoses.
Reason: sure it costs more but I find myself using one 50' for about 80% of things and both 50' hoses end to end for the rest. Coiling up 50' of hose is alot easier than 100'
-Buy rubber not pvc or other types.
Reason: in cold weather they dont get stiff and not roll out.

HTH and welcome to the fun world of pneumatics!

Jim Becker
09-22-2006, 2:47 PM
Brian has some good advise. I do, however, differ on the hose material...polyurethane hoses, like Flexeel, are just as flexible (if not more) than rubber and are much lighter in weight. I buy my Flexeel hoses from Coastal Tool up in Hartford.

Rob Diz
09-22-2006, 3:47 PM
I'll always agree with a Steelers fan:D

I just went through the process of buying a used compressor and would add a few words of caution.

The first is to make sure that the compressor will deliver the air demands you will need. If this compressor delivers around 6 cfm at 40, you will be on the lower end of capabilities for HVLP conversion guns. Many more options with something that will give you 7, 8 or more. I was looking for a compressor to go with my PC PSH1, and I don't know that this rating would be enough cfm, but I could be wrong. My only point would be to check.

If this is an oiled unit, I would be sure to drain the oil before you try to load it in your car.

Before you buy I would also be sure to charge it up and see how long it takes to recycle. Then dump the water and see what color it is. If it has only really been used once recently, I would hope to see clear.

If you are not in a hurry, I think you will see a number of compressors in that price range, so you can be a bit picky. I ended up with a 20 gallon oiled CH unit that delivers 7.8 cfm at 40 - cost $50. It's old, but it faithfully delivers its product - air. I got a good deal from someone who wanted to unload. Your price seems pretty fair to me for a newer unit.

HTH

Mike Hill
09-22-2006, 4:13 PM
The seller says it has been used once and looks new, is asking 150 bucks. Sounds like a good deal to me, what do you think?

Rodney: The closest thing to the used compressor you are looking at is a 1.7 running HP 26 gallon Husky at Home Depot selling for $269.00. I have the 3.5 running HP 60 gallon Husky and find it to handle all my needs. The $150 sounds like a good price to me.

Mike (near Austin)

rodney mitchell
09-22-2006, 7:02 PM
Thanks, guys, a lot of good advice. I'm going to have to get creative in order to get it in the back of my Jeep.
Rodney

Jim W. White
09-22-2006, 9:53 PM
I have this compressor. It works great. No problems over the past several years of use.

..Jim in Idaho

Ken Garlock
09-23-2006, 1:59 PM
Brian has some good advise. I do, however, differ on the hose material...polyurethane hoses, like Flexeel, are just as flexible (if not more) than rubber and are much lighter in weight. I buy my Flexeel hoses from Coastal Tool up in Hartford.

Jim, I have 2 50' lengths of the Flexeel hose, and like it, but I think it is a little stiff. Several months a go I ordered what is called "Choose a Color Polyurethane" hose from McMaster&Carr. I like it better than the Flexeel, and will probably buy it in the future as apposed to the Flexeel. I like it better because it does not want to form "standing loops" on the floor as I have experienced with the Flexeel.