PDA

View Full Version : Really Dumb Computer Question: Screen Image Size

Bob Weisner
09-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Hi:

I switched to the new beta version of the Yahoo email and when I did, a message popped up on the screen that said that the screen resolution needed to be increased to 1024 x 768. I had it set at the lowest setting of 600 x 800. When I switched over to the new screen resolution, all the letters are SMALL!!!!!!!!! I have a ViewSonic E70 monitor.

My question is this:

IF I UPGRADED TO A LARGER MONITOR , WOULD THE 1024 X 768 RESOLUTION STILL BE THE SAME SIZE LETTERS.

SORRY FOR THE CAPTIAL LETTERS, BUT IT IS HARD TO SEE THE SMALL PRINT.

THANKS,

Jim Becker
09-22-2006, 11:34 AM
A larger monitor is one solution. You can also set your preferences to use "large fonts" at the higher resolution...I'm assuming you keep things big for visual reasons. (Dr. SWMBO has to do this). To check this, right-click on your desktop and select "properties". Click on the tab labeled "settings", select the higher resolution and then click on "Advanced" in the lower right corner. There will be a drop-down on that screen that lets you set the DPI to 120 instead of 96. This will increase the size of fonts and other objects on your screen while still allowing the higher resolution setting.

Personally, I prefer large monitors!

Bob Weisner
09-22-2006, 11:50 AM
Jim:

Thanks, for the help!! Now, for some reason, the letters are in bold black and they are slightly bigger than the original letters. Maybe I can adjust the font size a little less than 120.

Thanks,

Peter Stahl
09-22-2006, 2:08 PM
Hi:

I switched to the new beta version of the Yahoo email and when I did, a message popped up on the screen that said that the screen resolution needed to be increased to 1024 x 768. I had it set at the lowest setting of 600 x 800. When I switched over to the new screen resolution, all the letters are SMALL!!!!!!!!! I have a ViewSonic E70 monitor.

My question is this:

IF I UPGRADED TO A LARGER MONITOR , WOULD THE 1024 X 768 RESOLUTION STILL BE THE SAME SIZE LETTERS.

SORRY FOR THE CAPTIAL LETTERS, BUT IT IS HARD TO SEE THE SMALL PRINT.

THANKS,

Try holding the Ctrl key and moving the wheel on the scroll mouse. This will increase and decrease the font size. Maybe you can find one you like that way.

Art Mulder
09-22-2006, 2:25 PM
My question is this:

Bob,

The answer is NO. If you upgrade to a larger monitor, the letters would NOT be the same size. For you, this is a good answer.

I can run 1024x768 on a 15" monitor, and I can run 1024x768 on a 19" monitor. On the 19" monitor, everything would appear proportionally larger, since to the computer the screens are basically treated as identical.

The computer displays pixels, that is all it worries about. So there are 1,024 pixels displayed horizontally and 768 pixels displayed vertically on a 1024x768 screen. That is regardless of whether the screen is 15", 19" or 42". (I'm daydreaming with that last one. ;) )

Therefore, if you go from a 17" to a 19" monitor, for instance, everything on the 19" will appear proportionately larger, IF you run it at the same resolution.

...art

ps: Personally I would not run my computer screen at 800x600. There is just too much information crammed into web pages and email these days. At 800x600 I don't find that enough fits on the screen. I think you'll be MUCH happier with a larger 19" monitor at 1024x768.

Personally I run at 1280x1024 on my wife's 19" monitor.

Ian Abraham
09-22-2006, 7:18 PM
One thing to watch for though...

If you go and buy a nice new LCD screen it will probably want to run in 1280x1024 mode or something like that. Sure you can switch them back to 1024 or 800 pixels, but because thats not their native resolution they look 'fuzzy'. So even though you now have a bigger screen, you still have small writing :rolleyes:

At least an older CRT screen will display any of it's resolution reasonably clearly

Cheers

Ian

Jason Roehl
09-23-2006, 9:16 AM
I'll second the 19" at 1280x1024--good stuff! I've also found that I can get by with a smaller font on the LCD--they're just SO much sharper. I recently got a Samsung SyncMaster 930b at Sam's for ~$250-260. I've seen them on sale for as low as $220 or so. It has a good contrast ratio and viewing angle, too.