PDA

View Full Version : Labeling and Finishing ZCI

Lori Kleinberg
09-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Okay, got my Freud SD506 dado blade set about a week ago, so I figured it was time to make some ZCI's.
What a job. :eek: I have a ridid 2400. It has tabs almost all the way around. Anyway, that's another story.
The ZCI's(10) are cut. So how do you label (for different sizes) and finish them?

Andy Fox
09-22-2006, 10:33 AM
I use a Sharpie on the bottom of the ZCI. I haven't gotten around to finishing mine, but 2 quickly brushed coats of dewaxed shellac (Zinnser SealCoat at the local hardware store) would be good.

Although... might want to label after finishing, since the alcohol base of the shellac will dissolve/blur the ink. :o

Don Baer
09-22-2006, 10:49 AM
I just wrote on mine with a pencil..:o

Jim Becker
09-22-2006, 10:56 AM
I don't label or finish mine...they are just 1/2" MDF and sacrificial. But the Sharpie is your friend to help keep them straight relative to your dado setups.

Lori Kleinberg
09-22-2006, 1:02 PM
Thanks. I thought since the zci's were made from 1/2" plywood,
I should probably put some coating on them. Even though they
are basically disposable, I hope to keep them for awhile. Also,
wondered about labeling with a sharpie before or after finish.

Jim Becker
09-22-2006, 3:59 PM
Lori, given their small size, it is not all that likely that they are going to be affected by the environment outside of a true soaking in a bucket of water. If I wanted to coat them, frankly, I'd just slap on a coat of shellac. Quick. Dries fast. One of the best moisture barriers available. Alternatively, if you're finishing something else, while you have the can open, slap some on these if you want. If you do choose to coat, it should be on ALL surfaces, not just the top.

Lori Kleinberg
09-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Thank you all for the information. :) Since it does not seem
to be too important to coat the ZCI's, I will wait until I
am finishing something else.

Mack Cameron
09-23-2006, 11:33 AM
Paint them RED with a spray bomb. It'll remind you to keep hands and toes away from this area, if you need reminding!