PDA

View Full Version : Making Inlay Banding

Michael Seibel
09-22-2006, 8:53 AM
Hi all! I'm new to the forum. I've been fascinated by some of the inlay banding patterns that I've seen, but have never found any book or article that mentions more than how to make the most basic of these. I was wondering if anyone might know of a bit more detailed source of information for this topic? Thanks in advance for any help,
Best regards,
Michael Seibel

Rob Millard
09-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Unfortunately there aren’t many books or articles on making bandings. I’ve found one book that goes beyond the basic, ( but not much beyond) . It is titled Step By Step Inlay Banding Production by R.F. Loeffler. There was also an article in the 2006 SAPFM Journal by Phil Lowe, that went into a fairly complicated banding. The problem is that bandings aren’t difficult to make, but it is difficult to describe the process.
http://home.rr.com/federalfurniture/
Rob Millard

Neil Lamens
09-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Hi Michael:

Funny I just figuured it was a covered topic, but your right references have just chapters or sections. When learning to make my own I went to William Lincoln's, Complete Manual of Wood Veneering and visualized the diagrams and did it.

Here's a recent link to an book on Inlay that is recommended by the reviewer. I do not know the book. Maybe somehere can recommend it.

http://blogs.taunton.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?nav=main&entry=6&webtag=fw-bookreviews

Hope that help!!!

Jim Dailey
09-22-2006, 12:39 PM
Hi & Welcome,

Wood Magazine had an article on making wood banding several years ago.... I don't know the month/year but I believe they have an online index you can search. If you can't get a back order from them, many public libraries get Wood magazine.

Hope this helps,
jim

Michael Seibel
09-24-2006, 9:55 AM
Rob, Neil & Jim, thanks for the replies! I've ordered Loeffler's book and with a little luck and time, I'll post some pictures of my attempts in the not too distant future.
Best regards,
Michael