PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

markus shaffer
10-12-2003, 11:25 PM
One of the projects I'm doing for a customer currently is a mantlepiece for a fireplace. I've added photos below of what they have. In the photos, the top is unfinished, but it has since been leveled out to the top of the tilework on the face of the fireplace with concrete.

What they want is a solid piece of cherry (1 3/4" thick) which will overhang by about 1/2 inch. I was hoping to get some suggestions of how one would go about mounting this to the fireplace. I had originally thought to drill a couple elongated holes recessed into the wood and then bolt it down into anchors. Then cap off the recesses with matching wood. A friend suggested that I could probably get away with running a couple beads of construction adhesive (Liquid Nails) across the bottom near the back and center. By not using the adhesive in the front, it would allow for movement of the wood. The mantle is only 9 inches deep, so I don't think it'll be a huge issue.

Both the customer and I like the idea of not having to bolt it down. I was hoping someone here might have another suggestion or confirm that the Liquid Nails idea might work. Thanks..

-Markus

Brad Schafer
10-13-2003, 7:47 AM
i'm no expert, but i've thought about (and played some) with this, as i have to do something similar to my own fireplace. in my experience, liquid nails will NOT hold. if you'd ever get some weight on that overhang (e.g., someone steps there from a ladder or for whatever reason), it'll pop off. (voice of experience.) there may be other/better glues available now, but it didn't work for me.

i don't want to use screw fasteners, either, so i'm going to try using a couple of large dowels.

oh - you spelled your last name wrong. :D ;)

good luck,

b (the other schafer)

Brad Schafer
10-13-2003, 7:51 AM
oops - misread ... thought you had a 1.75" overhang. with no overhang, glue would probably hold it in place (at least i didn't ever find reasonable heat variances to cause it to deteriorate).

getting the masonry reasonbly flat will be a challenge, too. how are you at mud work?

sorry for not reading closer - too early in the morning,

b

Tony Falotico
10-13-2003, 7:58 AM
I would be cautious of the liquid nails, if it got warm up there when the fire is burning I wouldn't trust it.

How about drilling a 1" hole horizontally into the brick, epoxy a 7/8" dowel sticking horizontally out (parallel to the top). Then, drill matching holes horizontally into the back edge of the mantle piece, slip the mantle piece with the dowels in the holes and position it. Drill one 1/4" hole vertically into the mantle, through each dowel, and plug with 1/4" dowel. You can recess the 1/4" dowel and plug the top with matching wood. This would tie it to the wall keeping it in place and would allow for any movement. I would probably put three dowels, center and both ends.

Probably overkill, but thats the engineer in me!

Alan Turner
10-13-2003, 8:45 AM
Here's another idea. Mount 2 or three (or more) metal dovetail "pins" on the facr of the fireplace/chimney, using tapcons. Use some scrap steely about 1/4" thick, and file or grind the angle (10 deg. or so). Then rout/cut sockets (tails) in the back edge of the mantle. Maybe make the pins about 1.25" tall. Then just slide it on fom the top. If you ever had to remove it for refinishing, etc., just lift it up.
Alan