PDA

View Full Version : Sketchup Program Expired Already???

Norman Hitt
09-22-2006, 3:23 AM
Well, fffffolks, like many others here, I downloaded and installed the Free Sketchup program recently when everyone else did after it was mentioned in a thread here. Yesterday when I decided to try again to work on the tutorials, I got a message that said, "Your version of Sketchup has expired, (IIRC), and you need to download the new version. Since this takes a while with a phone modem, I started the download and went to bed. When I checked today, for some reason the download did not work, so I have to try again.

I have two questions, first, did anyone else get this message? Second question, do I need to uninstall the first Sketchup program before I download the "Newer version", and if so, how do I uninstall it? I'm running Windows XP.

Thanks in advance

Karl Laustrup
09-22-2006, 7:30 AM
You don't have to un-install the other version. I got the same message and had to download the newer version. You may have had an interruption of service while downloading that caused your first try to not succeed. I have cable though, so mine downloads in less than a minute. Don't know what I'd do if I had to go back to dial up.:eek:

Karl

Dave Richards
09-22-2006, 8:37 AM
Norman, did you download the free trial version of SketchUp 5 Pro? Or is there a new version of Google SketchUp? I wouldn't think you'd be forced to download an updated version of GSU but the free trial of SU5 Pro is for 8 hours of use before it expires.

I have GSU on my iMac but it says it is current. Of course the Mac version seems to trail the PC version for updates. I only have SU5 on my PC.

Norman Hitt
09-22-2006, 1:51 PM
Thanks for the info, Karl. It probably was an interruption, as that happen frequently on our dialup.

Dave, I downloaded the Free (to home users) version, not the "Trial Version" of 5 PRO. I think the message, or in the tip's page that came up, it said something about a "Texturing" feature that had been added.

Damien Falgoust
09-22-2006, 4:50 PM
Google Sketchup does in fact force you to update as new versions are released. I imagine this is to control support costs -- it's easier if everyone is using the same version.