PDA

View Full Version : Broken Drive Belt Questions

Vaughn McMillan
09-21-2006, 10:59 PM
Midway through roughing out a bowl this evening, the drive belt on my Craftsman lathe (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00921715000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes) broke. Two questions:

Anyone know of a less expensive source for the replacement drive belt (not the bigger Reeves drive belt) than Sears? They want about $27.00 plus tax and shipping for a dinky little belt.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the belt back on once I get a new one? I can start randomly disassembling things until I get it done, but I'm hoping someone has been through the process and can give me some tips.

Thanks in advance.

Bernie Weishapl
09-21-2006, 11:13 PM
Nope Vaughn. You can try Palmgren at 800-621-6145. It is Sears or Palmgren are the only two that carry them. Sorry. :mad:

Randy Meijer
09-21-2006, 11:49 PM
I suspect that changing the belt will be a PIA. Fortunately, they don't break very often unless there is a problem with your Reeves drive.

You should be able to buy that belt at any good supplier as long as you know the size. An Internet search should provide you with many belt suppliers who can help you. I found one when I was looking for a replacement for my JET. Cost was about half of what Jet wanted.

I'll see if I still have the contact information. Randy

BTW, someone is sure to suggest using a link belt as a replacement. Don't!! The link belts will not last very long with a reeves drive.

Randy Meijer
09-22-2006, 12:04 AM
Try these guys:

http://www.mibelting.com

Tyler Howell
09-22-2006, 7:00 AM
Will a linked belt work? Still the same money but smoother operation IMHO>

Raymond Overman
09-22-2006, 7:38 AM

It will be more expensive than the $27 but after replacing my drive belt with the link belt I was really surprised at how much difference it made in the vibration. I think it's well worth it.

Steve Hayes
09-22-2006, 9:45 AM
I thought you couldn't use a link belt on a Reeves drive.

Frank Fusco
09-22-2006, 10:40 AM

I looked into this possibility for my Grizzly with Reeves drive. Answer is NO. Link belts are not satisfactory for Reeves. I'm told, by someone who was in the business, that drive belts used for industrial air conditioners are the best and toughest there is. Not sure where to shop for them but I'll make a concerted effort to find out one day.

Bernie Weishapl
09-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Vaughn you are talking about the small belt that drives the unit right off the motor aren't you? I haven't been able to find any that will even come close. I did find a number off the old belt I have and it says, "Gates 207-3M-20.

Randy Meijer
09-22-2006, 5:21 PM
.....BTW, someone is sure to suggest using a link belt as a replacement. Don't!! The link belts will not last very long with a reeves drive.

I told ya so!!(I talked to the folks that make the link belts and they strongly discourage its use with a reeves drive.)

Go to the Gates web site and use the locator function to find a retailer close to you. If they don't stock that belt, surely they can order it for you.

www.gates.com (http://www.gates.com)

Vaughn McMillan
09-22-2006, 8:56 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I did a bit of checking into the MI Belting site and the Gates site, and long story short, I bit the bullet and ordered a new belt from Sears online. I'm sure I could save some money going directly to a Gates distributor, but they aren't open at the times when I'm able to go shopping. (Say...3:30 AM...I don't have much of either one, but currently I have more money than time.)

As has been mentioned, I don't think a link belt would work in this application. This is the small, toothed belt (like a timing belt) that connects the motor shaft to the Reeves drive. I'd guess the teeth in the belt need to match the teeth in the wheels it's sitting in, so I don't think a link belt could fit the bill.

Looks like it's still gonna take major mechanical surgery to get the new belt installed. I guess I'll find out when the belt gets here.

Thanks again.

Christopher K. Hartley
09-24-2006, 11:39 PM
Vaughn, I bought some for my 1442VSK from the manufacturer on the internet. Big mistake! The belts were about $4.00 ea and I had to pay $20.00 for shipping.:eek: I then found a hardware store that carries all types of machine belts and sure'nuff, they had the same belt at $5.00 ea. but it beats the shipping costs.:)

Vaughn McMillan
09-25-2006, 12:38 AM
Vaughn, I bought some for my 1442VSK from the manufacturer on the internet. Big mistake! The belts were about $4.00 ea and I had to pay $20.00 for shipping.:eek: I then found a hardware store that carries all types of machine belts and sure'nuff, they had the same belt at $5.00 ea. but it beats the shipping costs.:)
In the case of the Sears Parts website, they are asking about $27 for the belt, with another $12 or so for shipping ($9.99 for a < 1 oz package) and tax.

Due to lack of time to shop locally, I went ahead and ordered one from Sears at their highway robbery price. Now that I have some leads on other sources, I plan to buy another as a spare, and hopefully pay a more reasonable price.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

CORY FETZER
09-25-2006, 8:37 AM
did you ever think of trying find a belt at a small appliance repair store washing machines and dryers sweepers use all kind of dift size belts

Tyler Howell
09-25-2006, 8:44 AM
What's a Reeves Drive:confused:

George Summers
09-26-2006, 8:05 AM
What's a Reeves Drive:confused:

A reeves drive is a mechanical method of making a variable speed mechanism. It uses two spring loaded split pulleys and as you turn the knob or stick on the front of the machine the top pulley flanges seperate and the bottom pulley flanges move closer together thus changing the ratio between the pulleys and changing the speed. The reverse happens as you turn the other way. The Shopsmith, the old Jet 1236 and the Harbor Freight 34706 among others use this variable speed control method.

George

Paul Engle
09-26-2006, 5:14 PM
Try an automotive part store ( NAPA ), gates or goodyear should have one to fit dont recommend fractional horse power type ( washers ,dryer ,etc) as the automotive will handle the power and torque much better.
Paul Engle
:D

Jonathan Magnus
11-08-2009, 12:25 AM
Midway through roughing out a bowl this evening, the drive belt on my Craftsman lathe (http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00921715000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes) broke. Two questions:

Anyone know of a less expensive source for the replacement drive belt (not the bigger Reeves drive belt) than Sears? They want about $27.00 plus tax and shipping for a dinky little belt.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the belt back on once I get a new one? I can start randomly disassembling things until I get it done, but I'm hoping someone has been through the process and can give me some tips.

Thanks in advance.

Suggestions? Well...
The belt is a 3mm tooth pitch 20mm wide.
Purvis Industries in Houston, TX 713-921-3200 was able to get me one 15mm wide for $7.20.
It is narrower and will probably wear out faster, but for $7.20 plus the trouble to change. It may be worth it.
I just replaced mine and it works well, I have no idea for how long.

I am sure some Gates dealer can get it almost 20mm wide, but....

Best of luck.

Dennis Puskar
11-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Try www.aroundthewoods.com (http://www.aroundthewoods.com) he explains how to replace the drive belt very well, and for the drive belt go to www.beltsforanything.com (http://www.beltsforanything.com) they are cheaper than Sears.

Dennis

Ken Fitzgerald
11-08-2009, 1:03 AM
Uh guys.

This thread is 3 years old. I can tell you for a fact, the OP is now driving a PM3520B and is no longer a member here.

Doug Fries
11-08-2009, 8:30 AM
Hi Vaughn,

I too have a craftsman lathe, and when my belt went I looked everywhere I could think of to find an alternate source (including Gates), but had no luck. I had to pay Sears the ridiculous price.

Here is a link to Darrell Feltmate's site, he has posted step by step directions, complete with pictures on how to get the belt changed. It helped me out a lot. Hopefully will do the same for you. Don't worry, It's not as tough as it looks.

http://www.aroundthewoods.com/lathemaintenance.html

Make sure you take a real good look at the drive gear while you have it apart, mine was worn where it fits on the shaft & that is what caused my belt to fail. The good news.....the gear is only $13.00 cdn......go figure.

Anyway, good luck on the repairs.

Steve Schlumpf
11-08-2009, 9:27 AM
Once again - this is a 3 year old thread and Vaughn now uses a Powermatic 3520B.

Kyle Iwamoto
11-08-2009, 7:40 PM
Even if it's 3 years old, I STILL have nothing better to do..... LOL

Mike Minto
11-09-2009, 12:32 PM
vaughn, i had belts custom made for my 1642 in the past; don't know what your belts look like, and don't remember where i got the ones i needed, but if you do a search, i'm sure you can find a company that will charge like a third of what sears wants; sorry to be vague, but at least i can tell you a person can find such with a little looking. good luck, mike

robert hainstock
11-09-2009, 3:15 PM
I bought my first replacement belt at an auto parts store. I think if you were to take that expensive new belt to the nearest parts store, you chould get a part number for future referance. The way that I replaced the belt on my HF reeves drive was to horse it around and rotate it on by hand. Good luck. :)
Bob