PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing in an air compressor

Paul Libby
09-21-2006, 10:59 PM
I am replacing the pvc pipe that I plumbed in my air compressor with. Will use copper. The question I have is whether to use 1/2" or 3/4" copper. The run is only 40 feet to the hose reel (25' of 3/8" hose). Will there be comparable pressure loss with air as there is with water?

From a money standpoint, the 1/2" copper is much cheaper:)

Ken Fitzgerald
09-21-2006, 11:15 PM
I dont' think you'll see any pressure loss. You will have a smaller volume of air as the 1/2" copper won't "store" as much air as the 3/4" copper. I'm going to do my new shop in copper eventually and plan on put the outlet on top and a ball valve for a drain on a "T" going down. The pipe going down will be at the lowest point in the run and will act as a water storage area. The down leg will terminate with a ball valve for draining the water out of the system. Good luck with your air system!

Mike Kelly
09-21-2006, 11:18 PM
http://www.tptools.com/statictext/tech_notes.asp?mscssid=P1GDMCX2S91A9LF7HW1VDL39VDU J9DC7

Click on "Air Line Hookup - Metal Piping Diagram (pdf)" and you may get some ideas and solutions for your installation.

David Rose
09-22-2006, 5:34 AM
I just plumbed my shop with 1" copper as I run a blast cabinet on it. I also added a 7 1/2 true HP compressor. The first 12 feet drain back to the compressor. There are 4 more drops with ball valves. I don't know what it is about what I did, but I only have gotten water from the compressor tank so far. That is with about 2 hours running on the compressor over a few weeks. I get no water from any drains downstream. Maybe I just haven't used it enough. Possibly the drain thing is overdone?

David, who spent $1K on copper line and fittings...

Tyler Howell
09-22-2006, 6:47 AM
You also get a little more stoarage with 3/4 " pipe.

Paul Libby
09-22-2006, 11:28 AM
Thank you gentlemen. That is just the information that I need.

Steve Kohn
09-22-2006, 10:35 PM
A friend of mine, designs factories for a living, told me a neat trick on air lines. He suggested you use 1/2 inch pipe but instead of running individual air lines, you run the system as a big complete loop connected to itself.

Randy Meijer
09-23-2006, 1:21 AM
Could you provide a few more details, Steve? I'm not sure I see the benefit of doing what you suggest?? Thanks.:confused:

tod evans
09-23-2006, 7:44 AM
Could you provide a few more details, Steve? I'm not sure I see the benefit of doing what you suggest?? Thanks.:confused:

randy, the benefit of running a "loop" is that if two folks are pulling air from the system the one farther from the compressor is less likely to experience pressure drop or surges. 1/2" pipe would work well in a very small install such as a garage for light use (less than 10cfm or so) but if a fellow thinks there may be two or more folks using the system with fairly high demand tools 3/4 or 1" pipe is prefered for the main lines....02 tod