PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone bought an LCD TV online?

Bruce Page
09-21-2006, 10:44 PM
I’ve been shopping around for a large, (46”) LCD TV. I can find the model I want online for about $400 cheaper than the local retail stores. I’m a little queasy about online shipping because LCD TV’s must be shipped in the upright position. I’ve read a lot of online reviews and shipping problems don’t seem to be an issue. Am I worrying about nothing?

Thanks

Vaughn McMillan
09-21-2006, 11:40 PM
Don't know if my experience is typical, but I bought a smaller (15") LCD TV online a year or so ago, and had no issues with it. As far as I know, mine (a Magnavox) has no requirement to be kept upright. I know mine sure wasn't kept upright after I got it.

My only suggestion is to make sure you're buying from a legitimate, factory-authorized dealer with a good return policy. I had a recent experience trying to buy a camera online that could have turned out real nasty had I not backed out of the transaction when I did.

Cecil Arnold
09-22-2006, 2:21 AM
Bruce,

We recently bought a 40" and in our research found that a number of people offered them cheaper on line. When we looked into it a little closer we found that the lowest cost sellers seemed to have one thing in common. They gave terrible CS. The reviews gave Amazon good marks, but the rest were bad. Google the name of the on line seller and see what pops up. We finally bought locally, then discovered that Sears (who had their set priced near full retail) would match plus 10% the lowest local price.

Jim Becker
09-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Yes, my 30" Sharp Aquos LCD was purchased online from Buy.com a couple years ago when I stumbled on a "deal I couldn't refuse". The shipping was not via the "normal" carriers; rather it came via a courier that was experienced with this type of item who delivered it physically into my home.

Ken Garlock
09-22-2006, 7:58 PM
Yes, my 30" Sharp Aquos LCD was purchased online from Buy.com a couple years ago when I stumbled on a "deal I couldn't refuse". The shipping was not via the "normal" carriers; rather it came via a courier that was experienced with this type of item who delivered it physically into my home.

Several years ago, I bought computer related items from buy.com. I found them to be a good company. It was interesting that I could place an order with buy.com, located in California(I think), have it shipped from a Dallas suburb about 25 miles from me, get second day delivery, and not pay local sales tax. It is hard to beat that deal.

Jim Becker
09-22-2006, 8:37 PM
Buy.com has given me good service, too, Ken. I add to the mix by accessing via ebates.com for additional savings. They are not always the rock bottom lowest price, but if they are close and the competition is "less known" to me, they get the business.

The Sharp deal came about because I had just bought a Sony home theater setup with AMEX points a few years ago. I really hadn't intended to buy a new television setup, but like most folks interested in technology, I was keeping up with the stuff coming on the market. I was poking around on the Sharp site after noticing some attractive ads and was impressed with the specs of a few systems. When I got curious about what things cost, I clicked on the "Buy Online" button that was on the page to check things out. There were two entries for buy.com and, of course, I had to figure out why. One was for the $3999 that everyone was charging at the time for the unit I was looking at. The other had a "special" for $2695 for the same item. CLICK!! :D :D :D I just couldn't resist and frankly, I'm glad I did it. We get a LOT of mileage out of the system with our growing video collection as well as NetFlicks viewing. Occasionally, I watch something in HD off cable, such as a concert (in 5.1 surround) or a documentary. And the Sharp unit has one of the best "super stretch" modes which effectively translates 4:3 material into 16:9 viewing without distorting like many of the earlier wide-screen systems did.

When I add more 16:9 systems to our household someday, Sharp will be in the running and so will buy.com.

Joe Mioux
09-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Bruce,

If your TV is placed on a pallet and shrink wrapped, you should be gold.

I get stuff off of 53', 48' trailers all the time. 99 pct of the time no problem.

Be at your house when the truck arrives and inspect the shipment prior to unloading.

If there is a problem note it on the Bill of Laiding and then call you vendor.

Chances are you won't have a problem

Joe

Bruce Page
09-23-2006, 12:05 AM
Thanks guys, I feel better about it now. I guess I need to check out buy.com also.

edit;
Oh well, it dosen't look like buy.com carries Sony LCD TV's. Too bad, their prices look good.

Jim Becker
09-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Bruce, the bottom line is to find out HOW the vendor ships and with WHOM for this kind of delicate thing.

Paul Prescott
09-23-2006, 3:09 PM
Amazon does carry Sony LCD's, and if the model you want is an Amazon product (ie, "ships and sold by Amazon"), you usually get free shipping and a free in-home warranty.